The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cancer Centers of America

No, I am not sick, nor am I worried that I might be.

I just have seen the advertisements on TV for years now about these centers and have always wondered about them. Are they as outstanding as they claim? What's the deal with them?

I have to admit that I am always skeptical of anything I see heavily advertised. I wonder if they're on the up and up. If they were as good as they say they are, why do they have to advertise so much?

But, maybe I'm being too skeptical. Maybe, if someone I know and love gets cancer, or if I get cancer myself, they are something that should be considered. So, I'm turning to all of you. Any experience with them, good or bad?
    Last edited by Louise; Nov. 25, 2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: I didn't like my grammar.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I was curious about them when my BIL got cancer. I googled it and got a lot of bad reviews, not that I necessarily put much stock in google reviews, since you can't verify anything that a reviewer has posted. Like you, from the commercials they sound like the place you want to go if you have cancer. In my BIL's case he was referred to the Mayo clinic, that is where his doctor and the insurance company (for the most part) said he should go. At the Mayo Clinic he received - top notch care and made a full recovery! I would be interested to hear first hand experience with CCofAmerica too. What I have seen with a few co-workers and friends that have had cancer and opted to use local doctors/hospitals - it was not something I would choose if I had other options.

My friend had a sister who had breast cancer. She went to one of the cancer treatment centers, but was turned away because they (ctc) did not accept the military insurance she had.
    She passed away and left my friend very bitter towards the centers.

when dh was dx with richter's transformation back in 05 i did some research into them. what i found made me more comfortable with dana farber in boston.
    btw dr eric jacobsen saved my husband's life there. up until that point only a very few people had ever survived that cancer, and my husband is now what, seven years out?
    anyway iirc the cancer center of america is insanely $$$$$$$$$$ and that alone turned me right off.
    cancer treatment for huge profits sux imo and as far as i could tell only wealthy folks were candidates to be treated there.
    i could well be wrong, but that is what i remember from that scary time.

1 members found this post helpful.

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Hmmmm, interesting. The post so far tend to lead me to believe that my suspicions are correct. I hope that there are more people out there who can share their experiences or knowledge.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

From what I've read they are profit driven. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but if you don't have the insurances they take, then you're going elsewhere. They just opened an outlet in Atlanta, but we already have great centers where I live, so I don't know that they'll get much business from here. I'm sure for a lot of cancer patients that have qualifying insurance, and don't have good care close by, that it might be an option to explore. I've also noticed that if someone doesn't survive a disease it seems to be common to blame the care and the providers, instead of acknowledge that maybe it was too late, and that not everyone survives.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

2 members found this post helpful.

I think a small part at the end of their ad is about nutrition, and either chiro or accupuncture. That's what made me a bit skeptical also.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    I think a small part at the end of their ad is about nutrition, and either chiro or accupuncture. That's what made me a bit skeptical also.
    which part? nutrition or chiro or acupuncture?
    my husband is considered terminal but rather thriving at the moment. his nutrition and alt therapies play a huge role in that we believe.
    for instance, the chemo has had some side effects, one of which is excrutiating cramps for which the western medical docs say they have no answer or treatment for.
    our eastern medicine doc uses acupressure, heat and magnets to give dh almost instant relief. if we skip a treatment dh's hands curl up in cramps, his feet and calves and thighs absolutely ravage him with pain.

please don't throw out alt treatments because you don't 'believe' in them!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    which part? nutrition or chiro or acupuncture?
    my husband is considered terminal but rather thriving at the moment. his nutrition and alt therapies play a huge role in that we believe.
    for instance, the chemo has had some side effects, one of which is excrutiating cramps for which the western medical docs say they have no answer or treatment for.
    our eastern medicine doc uses acupressure, heat and magnets to give dh almost instant relief. if we skip a treatment dh's hands curl up in cramps, his feet and calves and thighs absolutely ravage him with pain.

please don't throw out alt treatments because you don't 'believe' in them!
    Suz,
    It certainly isn't that I don't believe in them. Far from it. I'm sure good nutrition plays a role in healthy living as well as those with problems. I've used a chiropractor myself and I used accupuncture and chiro on my horses and dog.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Not that you can base anything on anecdotal references from online strangers... but you asked about personal experiences.

I only know of one person who went there. Co-worker of mine, late 40s. Ignored certain symptoms AND a family history of a particular type of cancer. Finally went in, had tests done, and was told to make sure his stuff was in order because he had maybe 3-6 months to live. The original doctor was going to do some treatments to try to help but it had already spread to multiple other locations in his body so that doctor was not advising much.
    Co-worker didn't want a doctor with such a dismal outlook, so he traveled 4 hours to a cancer treatment center - I believe one of the ones you are mentioning because they advertise on tv and have all these locations all over the US. The doctors there gave him great hope. They started him on treatments (chemo, radiation) as well as did some drastic surgeries. He came back to work after a year, but mainly to maintain his insurance because he was not very well and missed a lot of days. Less than a year later, with cancer everywhere in his body (literally... name a location and it had found its way there) while he was critical in the hosptial, they announced that he was done - his insurance lifetime maximum had been met. They were trying to make his family take him HOME that day. The family promised to cover the cost of the hospital plus morphine until he died, because at that point he was on liver and kidney dialysis and when they cut that off he was going to die quite painfully from blood poisoning.
    He died two days later on his morphine because the family scrambled together some money.

His wife owes over 2 million dollars of what the insurance didn't cover. His life insurance didn't come close to paying that off. His life WAS extended beyond the original prognosis, but at what cost? I agree that it seemed pretty clear that money was a motivating factor, rather than patient well-being. However, it was a choice he and his wife made, at least he had the chance to make it.