The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Figure eights that buckle on top and not over the horse's lip?

Subject should say it all.

I know we've talked about how it annoys us that our figure eights buckle over the horses lip, but I don't remember which brands don't do it.

I have an ANCIENT black tory leather figure eight that is flat, has rings and buckles up by the padded piece that I LOVE. Do they still work that way?

The Vespucci figure eight (if it fits correctly) buckles on top of the nose rather than on top of the lip.

My Five Star buckles on the nose. And I think the WellFleet from Smartpak is the same. Avoid the Nunn Finers....they are the worst offenders.

Re: Vespucci....they stretch like crazy.

I really like my smartpak bridle. I bought it just to school in, but it quickly replaced my "show" bridle. I love love love the look of the five star bridles though, and it might have to be my next bridle if/when I need to replace the current one.

I don't have a particularly good closeup of the figure8 on my mare, but you can see where the buckle lies here

If you get one with the sliding pieces and NOT the fixed ring variety, they should all adjust so that you can buckle away from the horse's lip.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

1 members found this post helpful.

My Vespucci buckles properly... and did stretch a little.. it also runs BIG!!! Fleck is an oversize in everything else, but he fits in the horse sized vespucci quite nicely. I LOOOOOOOOVEEEE that bridle!!! It has held up amazingly too.

And yes.. my nunn-finer is nice, but it does buckle on his lip which is annoying...

Epona, talk to Jamie at Five Star. I just got a flash bridle from there for Dex and was very happy with the quality (and you know I am a tack snob!). They seem to be thoughtfully designed so they may buckle in a better spot. And they will customize part for you if you need it, such as a horse size bridle with cob cheeks. Not cheap but I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

I have only Micklem and Five Star Tack bridles now. My figure 8 does not buckle at the lip. The Miclems buckle by the lip, but have a good piece behind the buckle, so it has never bothered my horse. What I really wish I could have is the Micklem design in the Five Star Tack leather.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

1 members found this post helpful.

My Pessoa also buckles up near the crossover

Agree with everyone about the Vespucci although mine didn't stretch that much. My horse wears a horse size in everything else but a cob size in the Vespucci. The buckle is on the top and the bridle is gorgeous.

Sorry, I'm a bit late to the party.

I just ordered a new Nunn Finer Figure Eight, and yup it buckles right on the lips. Wish I had seen this thread before ordering. *Sigh.

I hear that the HDR buckles on top, but for the price I'm not sure on the quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    My Five Star buckles on the nose. And I think the WellFleet from Smartpak is the same. Avoid the Nunn Finers....they are the worst offenders.

Re: Vespucci....they stretch like crazy.