The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cheval Canadiene for dressage?

I am sorry if there is a thread on this breed somewhere. I did a search under numerous spellings and nothing came up. If I am redundant to other threads, my apologies.

My daughter's dressage horse was just diagnosed with EMND and we are looking for a new horse for her, a bit younger and less far along because our money was tied up in the other horse. One candidate is a nice cheval canadiene with nice gaits and well started. I know next to nothing about the breed other than what I read on some breeders' sites.

I am wondering if people have anything to say about pros and cons of this breed for lower level dressage. I am looking to get beyond propaganda from breeders and find out what to expect with this kind of horse. The horse we are looking at is well bred and also has lovely gaits.

Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by Iberiansyes; Nov. 26, 2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: typos

I bought a 4yo Canadian for myself, and I sold him for a low- level rider who mostly trail rode. He was black and cute when braided, but they are not bred for performance, they are not sport horses. I really struggled with basic things in dressage.

1 members found this post helpful.

Some are decent sporthorses and some are more drafty.

Perhaps comparable to a morgan or draft cross type- probably not going to the Olympics but tend to be all rounders - some are quite suited for dressage at the lower levels and a smaller number may do better than that.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 17Rider View Post
    but they are not bred for performance, they are not sport horses...
    They really need to be judged in their ability as individuals, since some are bred to be more of a sporthorse and others are more suited to mainly carriage work.

User Sabovee (hope she doesn't mind me posting her as a potential resource) may be able to elaborate more since she works with and promotes them quite a bit.

To help you with your search; here are postings by her regarding this breed:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/se...searchid=62853

And here, I did a search of anytime "cheval" was used:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/se...searchid=62870

Again, just remember to look at the individual and keep in mind what the breeder is breeding for.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    Some are decent sporthorses and some are more drafty.

Perhaps comparable to a morgan or draft cross type- probably not going to the Olympics but tend to be all rounders - some are quite suited for dressage at the lower levels and a smaller number may do better than that.
    Yes, I agree. Try to find one that is less drafty and keep the weight off them, as they can get fat on air !
    I am not sure what the original poster meant by "propaganda" but the Canadian breed association website is here. Long backs are actually a no-no, according to the breed standard.
    Lots of pics there showing lots of different activities.
    We have a gelding; he has a terrific and cheeky temperament and was very easy to break.

My cousin breeds Canadians. There is wide variabiltiy in the breed, they can make nice all round horses, but if I was looking to excel at dressage this would NOT be my breed of choice.

I think just like any breed, individual horses excel at different disciplines. My Canadian has shown to 3rd level, but I have taught him (as an adult amateur) his changes, half passes, CP, piaffe and passage. Collection is easy for him. He is barefoot and always sound and healthy. He also jumps and is an awesome trail horse. He gets attention everywhere I go with him, not just because he is beautiful, but because of his wonderful personality. I really don't think I could ask for a better horse!

4 members found this post helpful.

Wow, thank you everyone for such helpful responses. For some reason, my original post got a "bad" rating. I am sorry if I offended someone. I was merely quoting a breeder who claims to be an expert saying the small gene pool makes for a stronger horse and she loves their long backs. Glad to have been directed to better sources. Wish people were not so quick to down-rate genuine requests for information.

Ignore the Thumbs Down, there is a great deal of arbitrariness associated with them

Some posters have admitted to accidentally getting the wrong "thumb" when playing this new game, others to randomly choosing a "thumb" (in protest of the "thumb" concept), then there are thumb "spinners"
    (& the "conspiracists")

Based upon the local pool of Canadian Horses, I'd not choose one for dressage - but having said that there are always outstanding individuals in any breed (good & bad), so just look at the particular horse & then the breeder's program (especially useful with a young horse that is barely started).

With a young horse, look very critically at conformation & movement, also push a few buttons to see how horse handles stress - if you aren't good at objectivity, bring along a trainer that is.

I bought my Cheval Canadien last March and I love him. He has a very quiet personality and is more of a push ride (which I prefer). He does move out nicely when asked but will only give you as much as you ask for. He is from the Henryville line and they are the quietest line out there. There are 5 different lines and the temperament and movement is different in each. My guy is not only on the quiet side, he has great movement for dressage.

They are very attention getting and all the judges love my guy. I get scores in the high 60's and low 70's in Training Level and plan to move up to First Level soon.

The Cheval Canadien is a barogue breed. They are compact and have a powerful hind end. Doing collected work is easier for them then it would be for a long backed horse. That being said, their extensions are not as dramatic as a TB or Warmblood.

They are known for their good health, good temperament and great feet. They also live on air. My boy gets half the grain that any of the other horses get and he's the fatest horse on the farm. They are generally around 15 - 15.2 hds and more often black. My guy looks like a Friesian cross and I am always getting asked if that is what he is. He has feathers similar to a Friesian cross and is all black. He is 9 and has never worn shoes.

He makes me smile and I am lucky to have one. I would consider one for dressage. I have no regrets having bought mine.

Their is an aritcle in the September issue of Dressage Today on Le Cheval Canadien. This issue highlights different baroque breeds and the Canadien horse they show is Patriote. This horse is being debut at Prix St. Georges next year. Not too shabby!

Good luck with your decision.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans. RiverDance

Default Canadians as all arounds and dressage

My friend has two Canadians. They both have great brains and are solid citizens. They have pure but not terribly fancy gaits. They are shown currently at first and third levels with scores in the low to mid60s. These horses are worth their weight in gold they are so steady. For a lower level horse for your daughter to enjoy and feel safe on they are awesome! If her goal is Grand Prix they are probably not right.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticRiverDance View Post
    I bought my Cheval Canadien last March and I love him. He has a very quiet personality and is more of a push ride (which I prefer). He does move out nicely when asked but will only give you as much as you ask for. He is from the Henryville line and they are the quietest line out there. There are 5 different lines and the temperament and movement is different in each. My guy is not only on the quiet side, he has great movement for dressage.

They are very attention getting and all the judges love my guy. I get scores in the high 60's and low 70's in Training Level and plan to move up to First Level soon.

The Cheval Canadien is a barogue breed. They are compact and have a powerful hind end. Doing collected work is easier for them then it would be for a long backed horse. That being said, their extensions are not as dramatic as a TB or Warmblood.

They are known for their good health, good temperament and great feet. They also live on air. My boy gets half the grain that any of the other horses get and he's the fatest horse on the farm. They are generally around 15 - 15.2 hds and more often black. My guy looks like a Friesian cross and I am always getting asked if that is what he is. He has feathers similar to a Friesian cross and is all black. He is 9 and has never worn shoes.

He makes me smile and I am lucky to have one. I would consider one for dressage. I have no regrets having bought mine.

Their is an aritcle in the September issue of Dressage Today on Le Cheval Canadien. This issue highlights different baroque breeds and the Canadien horse they show is Patriote. This horse is being debut at Prix St. Georges next year. Not too shabby!

Good luck with your decision.

A couple of years ago I bred a nice Canadian horse and trained him in dressage.
    He is now doing level 2 with grace and confidence.

Hubby and I did breed a lot of good Canadians cross trakehner and hanoverian. Every offsprings we had are doing very well right now especially in dressage.

As other said, it is a baroque breed so if I was looking for performance at PSG or intermediate, I would look for another breed such hanoverian and such.

But Canadians are realy great citizen when well started and also versatile as they also have a good scoop for jumps. A lot of people I know just love them as they can do dressage, hunter classes and even cross country.

For low levels dressage, they can do the job and your daughter can have a lot of fun with them. They are also people oriented and act almost like dogs.
    In my heart, Canadians remains a special breed.
    Élène

Fighting ovarian cancer ! 2013 huge turnaround as I am winning the battle !..
    http://esergerie.wordpress.com

1 members found this post helpful.