The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

In Boston last week two parents beat and BLINDED their three-year-old son. I don't think they've caught them yet. I am hoping the police don't find them before a posse of vigilantes do.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I am sorry this terrible crime and senseless taking of a life happened in your neighborhood.

Put me in the camp that it's evil, it's downright evil, and evil is a force/factor/very real thing that exists in this world.

I live in a country which has an estimated 30,000 - 50,000 people who were terrorized by forcible amputations which were undertaken by the main "rebel" force during the decade-long civil war here.

Every day I see at least 3 or 4 of these amputees, some of them begging, some of them more well-off and attempting to work small jobs despite their handicap. I just drove down the beach road this morning and saw one of the many amputee soccer matches, with teams made up of young guys now in their 20s whose arms and in some instances their legs got chopped off.

While there are a lot of factors that fed into this nihilistic frenzy of bloodshed, there is ultimately no single explaination for this wicked barbarism and the ensuing years of suffering it's inflicted on it's victims. The use of amputation as a widespread weapon of mass terror has very few if any precedents elsewhere in the world in either history or more modern times.

The only explanation that keeps one sane and is frankly logical is that this is evil, pure and simple.

Again, OP I'm sorry for what has happened so close to your home and for the family of the victim.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't understand the mentality of those commiting murder. And lately it seems some are also looking to have a big impact with it.

The recent explosion in Indianapolis is now being investigated as a homicide. http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...377/1020/rss09

Apparently they didn't get the intended target, but two neighbors were killed.

And 4 million dollars in damages?

WTF - is all I can say.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I think some people are just born evil. Sociopaths or psychopaths are born that way, and there is nothing that can be done to stop them. Maybe they don't all murder, but they all do exactly what they want, and use their guile and fake charm to get through life.

And yes, most schizophrenics are harmless, except to themselves, and that is tragic. However I've met one that is a paranoid schizophrenic, and when he wasn't stuffed to the gills with medication he scared me. There was nothing human in his eyes, and I found him very scary. And don't forget the people who are drunk or stoned constantly, and won't let anyone get between themselves and their drugs of choice.

I've always been amazed with the denial of some families also. The Colombine killers couldn't have amassed the arsenal they did, and prepared the way they did without the parents open pocketbooks, and ignoring severe red flags. When your parents hear on the radio that a massacre is going on at your high school, and the father rushes down there to talk to the cops about his son's involvement, and the mother (in a recent article) says she prayed her son would commit suicide because she knew he was involved in the shooting, then it's not 'good' parents, but parents ignoring things until it's too late. I lived in Colorado during Columbine, and for years after, and there were many things that were discussed after it happened, and it's not just as straightforward as some authors have said.

I can't understand the cruelty and viciousness of crimes, but I'm not sure there is an answer. Maybe it's just that truly evil people put on enough of a normal face to fool victims. Or maybe some people think anything they want is right, no matter what the cost to others.
    Last edited by JanM; Nov. 25, 2012 at 04:20 PM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Wow, this story brings up sad memories. When I was in college, a boy 2 classes behind me in high school murdered the old widow he did odd jobs for by beating her with a baseball bat. It came out that he had gambling debts. At age 19 He committed brutal murderer on a Friday night and kicked a field goal in the football game Saturday.

His sister was in my class. Our hometown is upper middle class as was the kid's family. I knew of him since my sister was in his class and her best friend dated him. I remember him as a small, slight, quiet nerdy type.

Its so hard to wrap your head around this kind of violence. It was rumpred that he owed some loanshark $600.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

This actually reminds me that we have a (rumored) paranoid schizophrenic living on our street. One of our neighbors has heard him in the backyard threatening the life of his ex-wife/girlfriend. She has told him to shut up and he has threatened her. They are across and down the street from us, so I have never heard anything. Neighbors have called the police, but he hasn't done anything they can do anything about.

I saw a moving van in front of the house yesterday (it's a rental) and I have been hoping it means they are all leaving.

It sucks. We have such a nice street full of lovely people, but that house was foreclosed a few years back and bought by an "investor" who rents it to just anyone. And we have already been through a few families. It's sad around here, it's one of the only really affordable areas this close to San Francisco but all the "investors" are buying houses for cash out from under the low-income and first time buyers, and ruining all these nice working class neighborhoods

There's definitely an evil in this world.
    http://pinterest.com/sherylxdog/serial-killers/

Long list, and that is mostly the better known ones, mostly the north American and European ones. Other parts of the world have their share of cold blooded killers too.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

One in 25 is a sociopath. Fact of life.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    I've always been amazed with the denial of some families also. The Colombine killers couldn't have amassed the arsenal they did, and prepared the way they did without the parents open pocketbooks, and ignoring severe red flags. When you parents hear on the radio that a massacre is going on at your high school, and the father rushes down there to talk to the cops about his son's involvement, and the mother (in a recent article) says she prayed her son would commit suicide because she knew he was involved in the shooting, then it's not 'good' parents, but parents ignoring things until it's too late. I lived in Colorado during Columbine, and for years after, and there were many things that were discussed after it happened, and it's not just as straightforward as some authors have said.
    Anyone seen "We Need To Talk About Kevin?" Kid seriously delayed in communication development and shows a marked lack of empathy toward other life forms. Parents buy him an archery set and teach him to shoot. Great plan.

Though you had to wonder about his mother, the Tilda Swinton character, when a kid paralyzed by her son's little outburst wheels up to her and genuinely asks how she is. Her reaction can best be described as "Oh that's nice, now go away."
    Last edited by Scaramouch; Nov. 25, 2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: can't type
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"