The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gift ideas. Thank You, not Holiday, and a BIG deal

I broke my leg, 8 weeks ago Monday. I have 3 horses, and while hubby can feed and turn out, he works. AND of course has to pick up slack feeding other pets etc.

My good friend, who lives across the street from me, has done most everything for my horses since I was hurt. We have been friends for a long time, and I helped a lot with her horses when she had surgery, but not nearly to the extent she has helped me in this situation. These two months have been Hell. My 3 year old sustained a catastrophic injury during this time and lost an eye. Without THIS friend I am quite sure I would have gone insane or been a complete dumb ass and walked on my broken leg to care for my horses.

There really is no way I can repay what she has done. She is loathe to accept any gift cards and the like, stating " that's what friends are for". But really, to me, it's above and beyond. Though, yes, I would do it for her in a heartbeat.

I would love to send her on a great vacation, but she would never go. She could leave the horses in my care, but she would never leave her dogs. There is NO vacation for her that the dogs can not go.

I don't know what to do? Buying STUFF seems just not enough.

I know she loves New England sea food. Have thought of a delivery package with the most amazing meal. But I don't like sea food, so not sure what would constitute an amazing meal?

I am open to all ideas. I really want something that will shout my gratitude without being absurdly priced. (She's worth absurdly priced, but my injury and my filly's injury cost me about $7,500 out of pocket, never mind my lost income). I'm not talking being cheap here. I will be back earning a good wage in about 3 months.

SO, how would YOU say thank you to such a great friend?
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

1 members found this post helpful.

Maybe ship some fresh sea food or steaks? I know Omaha Steak and all that. Here's a seafood place I found. http://www.allfreshseafood.com

Also...for awesome lobster bisque: http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-boardwalk-put-in-bay

It's awesome.

Anyway....you might also find a good meal to ship from Bar Harbor, Maine.

I'll have to think on this more.

You are truly blessed to have such a friend! That's great! I'm sure no matter what you do, it will be appreciated
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

They are several companies that deliver entire gourmet dinners. Impromptu gourmet is one I think. There is always Harry and David - you could do the fruit of the month stuff - you can do three, six or twelve months. Wine Country gift baskets always has nice stuff - they do this great breakfast basket which has coffees, waffle mix, syrups, etc.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

BuddyRoo mentioned what I would be thinking- along with a thank you note where you tell her what you just told us. The seafood is a momentary pleasure, but that note is something she might keep.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Why not wait a bit longer, something obvious may show up yet.
    Don't hurry such an important decision, you want this to be very, very good.

2 members found this post helpful.

Do you live in an area that have great spas? Maybe a good massage and the hot stones thing they do would be nice for her? I think I would also write her a heartfelt letter telling her how much she means to you.

I tell her every day how much it means to me to not have to worry that my horses are well taken care of.

She does not drink But does like chocolate. And anything horsey.
    I have bought several small items. And looking for great ideas to pair with them.
    To me it really has to knock her socks off because That is really what she has done for me.

Maybe you can add a gas gift card to those small things?
    Any time I have given that, it seems to lighten people's eyes so much.

A card with your feelings and a few small things may do for now, until some day you come across something that will be just her.

Do you have any pictures of her with her animals? If so make a scrapbook of the two of you together or put a few pictures in some neat frames wrap write a card and give them to her.

No idea if this would be up her alley, but what about commissioning a portrait/painting of some or all of her pets? Depending on what you think she'd like.

Some photographers are quite reasonable. So are some artists. I saw one recently that was in the $250 range for gorgeous work.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

2 members found this post helpful.

A heartfelt card with every thing you just told us. To hear it is nice but to be able to read and reread it is wonderful!

Make up a pretty basket with all of the cute stuff you have found. Maybe even buy her a pretty plant to will live in your area so she will be able to see your thankfulness every day.

Kim

Prepay her vet bills.

Get in touch with either her dogs' vet or her horses' vet. Prepay x amount of money.

5 members found this post helpful.

wow......you've gotten some great ideas here!......the food one....you haven't mentioned if she is single, or has a family...but some of the foodie things like the fruit of the month might be too much of a good thing for one person.........
    the pre-made meals, IMO would be easier for her...

however, food disappears..........i LOVE the idea of a portrait or drawing of her critters................THAT is something that would stay around and bring memories forever........and maybe find a poem or your own words ........something on the meaning of friendship......put it on the back of the portrait........

sounds as though you two have a most enviable relationship...hang on to it

I think the pet portrait is a great idea! If you can get some pics of her pets ,a good artist can make a gift she can trsure forever. I had a portrait done of my horse and I just LOVE it.A friend is doing one of a horse I just lost and I am going to be thrilled to have it.Can't think of anything that would mean more.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I LOVE Flightcheck's idea!
    That would make me feel truly appreciated and lift a load off my shoulders.
    Along with a gas card included in a handwritten note would also make Life easier for someone who has helped you so much.
    You are blessed to have such a good friend.
    Hope the rest of your recovery is uneventful.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Great ideas people

How about a stained glass panel of one or more of her horses?

www.equiglas.com
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Here's what I am trying to put together so far.

Simple small things.... I bought warm socks and gloves and have made her a scarf.

REALLY like portrait idea, and am getting help pulling that off.

Paying vet bills ahead IS a great idea, but she has money. So, instead, I am thinking of a donation, in her name, to a rescue.

Food, yes! LOVE the idea of a great meal, served. But the logistics of getting her and hubby together, pretty tough. So thinking a basket that has either gift cards for meals, OR, nice frozen seafood and steak.

does she participate in any horse or dog related activities? Agility/dressage/eventing? Are there any upcoming clinics she might like to attend?

I also really like the idea of pre-paid vet expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by eventgroupie2 View Post
    How about a stained glass panel of one or more of her horses?

www.equiglas.com
    We warmbloods totally recommend the sun catcher glass horses made by eventgroupie2. We bought one for secret santa gift for Eleanor, and one for a friend IRL who lost her horse. We're going to have one made of us pas de deux-ing across the pasture and hang it between our stalls.

This item is something that a person could keep at home, or take to her office and hang it in a window there.

EG2 will also make sun catchers of dogs and cats, we think.