The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help! Asprin dosage information...

I ran out of bute and cannot get more until Monday. Ava decided to jump the fence last night and she made it over, just not too well. (I don't see her being a Grand Prix jumper anytime soon). She has scraps on her chest and front legs plus a pretty deep cut on one leg that cannot be stitched shut. I was able to get everything cleaned up and bandaged, but of course I am out of bute and I cannot get anything from the vet until Monday.
    I've heard about using human asprin in place of bute. Does anyone know the amount of asprin I need to give her, she is about 1200lbs?

Honestly I'm not sure if you can or not but if it were me unless the horse was showing signs of pain I wouldn't take the aspirin route. Maybe I'm just not familiar with it but I would try and wait it out.

She is showing signs of pain... She tried to lay down tonight and couldn't because he knees were hurting. She tried at least 3 or 4 times. She also left her grain tonight and just stood in the pasture. (She's on a 24/7 turnout). I did get her to finish eating by holding the bucket higher for her so she didn't have to put so much weight on her forehand. I hate seeing her in pain like this...

Sorry to hear jingles for your mare. If aspirin isn't an option can you maybe get a hold of your vet and get some from them?

Ok with some quick googling I've found you can use buffered aspirin. Dosage wise I've seen anywhere from 20-40 tablets obviously dependent upon the mg. However, I'm not sure if normal aspirin is buffered. Another thing to keep in mind is that it has anticoagulant properties. I know you mentioned your mare was pretty scraped up not sure if this would be a concern or not. Finally, most of what I found aspirin being used for is for joint type pain, laminitis, etc. unfortunately I'm not sure if the buffered aspirin would help.

The only spot she is bleeding is the deep cut, but it is bandaged and I'm very sure the bleeding has slowed down or come to a stop. From your suggestion...I am going to keep waiting till Monday. It's just hard to see her in pain.

I know I couldn't turn any other info up right off hand. If it were me first thing in the morning give the vet a call see if they are already going to be out and about and if so see if you can meet and you get a tube that way. Hopefully she will bounce right back though!

I left a voicemail for her to see what she recommended and if I could stop by and pick up some bute tomorrow. I know Ava is a very strong willed horse she is just a major wimp when it comes to any cut. She was kicked by another mare when I first brought her home. You would have thought she broke something from the way she acted. She turned up just fine, no swelling no damage to anything. She is just a big sensitive OTTB, but I love her.

10mg/kg, dosed 3-4 times daily. Not all aspirin is buffered, but you can buy buffered aspirin or simply feed it with a bunch of antacid which gets you the same effect. Same risk of GI ulcers and kidney damage as other NSAIDS. Aspirin is a fine anti-inflammatory and pain reliever, but it is more likely to cause bleeding and the multiple-times-per-day dosing requirement makes it very inconvenient for long term use.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    10mg/kg, dosed 3-4 times daily. Not all aspirin is buffered, but you can buy buffered aspirin or simply feed it with a bunch of antacid which gets you the same effect. Same risk of GI ulcers and kidney damage as other NSAIDS. Aspirin is a fine anti-inflammatory and pain reliever, but it is more likely to cause bleeding and the multiple-times-per-day dosing requirement makes it very inconvenient for long term use.
    How many anti acids? Can you substitute Tylenol for aspirin? If so is it the same dosage?

I don't understand how you can't get any Bute until Monday. Vets don't close. If your vet is out of town she should have another local vet taking her calls.

I'm in the middle of no where. The closest vet is about a 2 hour drive. I don't want to pay an emergency fee to have her come out just to give bute.

NO, please do not substitute tylenol for aspirin or any other pain reliever. It is not even in the same class, and AFAIK is very poorly studied in animals. I've never had a vet recommend tylenol for any animal of mine. I'm not even sure it's safe in animals.

If I were giving a horse-sized dose of aspirin (I usually give 5 grams, or about 15 regular aspirin tablets or part of a cow bolus) I would give 8-10 TUMS tablets along with each dose, or since I have omeprazole on hand I would use that along with the TUMS for the duration of the NSAID therapy.
    Click here before you buy.

How about naproxen instead? http://equimed.com/drugs-and-medicat...rence/naproxen It is a little easier on the tummy.

Agree with Delta - do NOT use tylenol in animals.

Don't forget - those naproxn doses are given in MG per KILO (not pound). So if you only know your horses estimate weight in pounds - DIVIDE that number by 2.2 to get their kilogram weight.

For example: a 1200LB horse is 545kg. So a 1200LB horses dose of naproxen would be 10mg x 545kg = 5,450mg (or ~10 tablets of 500mg naproxen crushed and mixed with feed twice a day).

I knew that Tylonel is not the same as Asprin. They do not have she same active ingredients, that is why I was asking.

Thank you for all of the advise. I ended up waiting to get bute from the vet. Ava was acting much better last night and was prancing around the pasture this morning.