The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Draft horse with ?? weird growth on feet

I went to a boarding stable to look at a CL horse today. There were several horses for sale there. I was looking at one when some other people arrived to look at a 17 hand draft gelding. So, I also watched the draft being shown. Lovely horse, but, he had some really weird growths coming out the back of his feet. It looked like the frog had gone haywire and was outgrowing/erupting out the heels. At first look you might have thought that he had big clumps of dirt/manure packed in his feet and squishing out the heels until you looked closer and saw that it was attached. I was about 25 feet away and, believe me, his feet stunk from that distance! Could this be canker? I only know that I have never seen anything like it. The horse did not seem to be hurting, but then they only got him out and stood up before the prospective buyer made tracks out of there so I didn't really get to see the horse move.