The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question DVR vs. TiVo...and as a Christmas gift to make it more complicated

My mother, bless her heart, is still using her VCR to record programs. She's upgraded to HD/digital cable and has a fancy schmancy tv now, but can't seem to get rid of the VCR. My cousins gave their old TiVo (lifetime service plan pre-paid) to my aunt a few years ago for Christmas and they have loved it. I'm considering doing the same (sorta) for mom because she loves recording shows and movies, but I watch so little tv myself that I haven't needed to learn much about either option.

I can get an older model TiVo on eBay with the service plan billed to me (there are even a few with the lifetime plan pre-purchased) which is appealing, but how does that work with cable? Do I still have to rent a cable card? That's not an option as I can't split her bill with her--which makes a regular DVR tricky at best.

Any suggestions are welcome. She's expressed interest in a DVR repeatedly, but hasn't taken the initiative to get one yet. I'm drawing a huge blank on what else to do for her as she's one of those that has all of her needs (and most wants) taken care of. She's been a huge help to me this years with my lingering gimp arm, but my budget won't stretch to sending her on a cruise.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

bump!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I have a TiVo. If you have cable, you have to get a card from the cable company to insert into the TiVo DVR. But, I'm not sure exactly what that would cost you, as I don't have cable.