The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default IPHONE users...seeking advice.

Believe it or not, I don't have a cell phone. So, I am in the process of researching the best ones etc. I bought this really cute wallet/cell phone holder that says it fits an Iphone.

So, I am looking into Iphones. Now I realize that you have to buy apps directly from Apple, here's my question. Can you buy an app that allows you to "cut" or "edit" music for a ringtone? So instead of the generic ringtone that gives you the chorus, you can "cut" the song to have the ringtone at certain parts of the song.

Any other experience with Iphones would be appreciated, if you hate it, love it, like something better. Feel free to chime in.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

I am SURE that there are Apps to do it, but you can also do it right in iTunes.

I enjoy my iPhone, although I don't particularly enjoy paying for the outrageous data plans....but that will be the same for any smartphone.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Any sound editing program can do that and there are plenty out there for free. Just edit on your computer and transfer to your iPhone to use as a ringtone. I do it all the time though I don't use an iPhone.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I tend to like to NOT follow the masses and don't generally go for whatever's "in" or most popular, and when I do get there, I'm so far behind everyone else it's ridiculous. Having said that, I got in iPhone 4S back around May and I LOVE it! I can't answer your question about ringtones and so far the only apps I've downloaded have been freebies but I'm glad I made the switch.

My parents and SIL all have Galaxys and they're all very happy as well.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Thanks everyone. I went to the Verizon kiosk and was like all set to get an Iphone and the salesperson mentioned all these other smartphones and I just became overwhelmed and decided to do more research on my own first. Still checking things out...
    I LOVE my Chickens!

I know this!!! You don't have to buy an app! It took me about three hours to figure it out, but it's not hard and you don't have to pay anything. All I wanted to do was make The Beatles' "Hello, Goodbye" as my ringtone. Follow this wonderful woman's instructions. It is SO easy!

http://mashable.com/2010/08/28/how-t...e-for-PC-Users

I have an iphone 4s.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I bought the Verizon Casio Commando and like it. The latest in phone is the Samsung Galaxy (I think that's what it's name is), it's the one with all of the commercials lately.

The one thing I don't like about the iphone is the that the battery can't be changed by the customer, but the droids can be. I ordered my battery off Amazon, and have a couple of spares.

All of the phones have free apps, or games on the app store, so you don't have to pay if you don't want to. You can get them from Apple/itunes, or the app store from your phone carrier, such as Verizon. And some of the song performer's web sites let you download ringtones.

I'm so bad with technology that I didn't realize until a co-worker told me, that you can upload to your itunes library from your CD's. I now have no CD's, but over 1000 songs on my ipod.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I have the iPhone for my work phone and an Android for my personal phone (I am required to keep them separate)...love the iPhone....tolerate the android.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have an iPhone 4S (chose it over the 5 because of price) and am very happy with it. I hated my Android phone and my Blackberry was even worse. 4S isn't a 4G phone, but that's okay for me. It does work internationally, which the iPhone 4 does not. The camera is great, the whole thing is easy to use, and the quality of calls is good. I thought I'd have a terrible time with the touch screen-only keyboard, but it is very easy to type on. I've only had mine about 5 weeks, but so far I like it better than the other options!

There are free apps to make ringtones from your songs on itunes. I used ringtone maker, it was super easy. I assigned different ringtones that I made for the people who call me the most, that way I know who I am ignoring with out having to look.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have the iPhone 4S. I haven't done what you're asking (just out of laziness), but I've seen apps and also seen it offered in iTunes so I know it can be done!

And I LOVE my iPhone! I had a Blackberry before this and a Samsung before that and I don't have any plans to switch to another brand/type of phone. Easy to use, great apps and is essential for work (I work with the deaf community and texting/email is vital - no other phone I've used has been as easy with both features).

Good luck with your search!

I love my 4S, but it does have problems with the microphone, I've had to take it apart a few times so people can hear me. I didn't know about editing the ringtones in itunes, I will for sure have to try that!

I had a 3G for a while before but it did not read my fingers and I had a hard time using it at all, so if you tried one before and that trouble, they have updated it. I don't know why it read some peoples hands better than others, but it seems to be fixed. I also credit Siri for teaching me not to mumble when I accidentally texted my mom a weird message because when I said "nooooo" it thought I said "mom" and the more I kept saying "don't send" it sent her a text. We all had a laugh, but I am glad it was mom and not someone else who wouldn't have found it as funny!

I've not done the ringtone thing, but I will say that I absolutely love my iPhone. I just got the iPhone 5 about a month ago...which I got to replace the 3GS that I'd had for almost three years.

I think you'll probably be happy with whatever phone you choose, but IMO, there's a reason why the iPhone is so popular. It's very user friendly and intuitive to figure out. Oh, and I find it's much easier to go to a store (preferably a corporate one) instead of a kiosk type place. I have AT&T, not Verizon, but IME the big, main store is so much easier to deal with and get things done than at a smaller one.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    I bought the Verizon Casio Commando and like it.
    Then you're gonna want to make sweet love to the Type-L when you get your grubby little paws on it at the Verizon store. It's the replacement for Commando and it brings 4G LTE among other improvements.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Audiko is the one I use. The app is free, and they have a website as well. I adore my iPhone, and will definitely get another when upgrades roll around. We have four at our house - DH has two (one work, one personal) and DD and I have them as well.

Shop around for plans, too, as they're not all created equal. Some carriers have better coverage in different areas.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Honestly, the iPhone is great...but so are some of the higher-end Android phones. I would say that by far, the most serious competitor to the iPhone is the Samsung Galaxy SIII (Android). I would not fault someone for choosing either phone.

Depending on your usage and needs, you may also be a better candidate for no-contract wireless phones. Virgin Mobile (which is part of the Sprint network) and Straight Talk (which is part of the T-Mobile network) are often cheaper than buying into a two-year contract. It will also let you be more non-committal; if you didn't like the phone or the service, you could just cancel and get something else.

As for your original question, yes, there's an app for damn near everything on iPhone. Including making ringtones. It's called Ringtone Maker. It's free.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ring...390929278?mt=8

Some other things to think about if you're a horse owner and a smartphone owner: it may be wise to invest in a warranty and/or a very protective case. My iPhone 5 wears an Otterbox Defender and I've got a Squaretrade warranty on it. All that infrastructure cost about $115, and I'll pay a $50 deductible if I need to use the insurance--but all it will take is one bad fall off a horse, or one drop in the toilet (don't laugh--I know TONS of people who've done this) and that warranty will be worth every penny. $85 for two years of Squaretrade protection is WAY cheaper than buying Verizon's phone isnurance.

An alternative would be to buy something like the fully waterproof Lifeproof Fre case, but I didn't want to deal with the hassle of removing the screw-in waterproof headphone jack.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have thought about the trac phones and similar ones, but I wonder about coverage in my area. Verizon is what I get my internet/phone through and seems to be the best for coverage in my area. Definitely going to investigate more, and instead of a kiosk I'm going to check out the Verizon store.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Not sure where you are located, I'm in central Virginia and my husband and I have iPhones on a family plan with nTelos. Our plan is $140 a month (for two phones) with unlimited talk, text and data.

I phone all the way. Just got the 5 because it was a free upgrade..
    [edit]

Otterbox case. My hubby actually dropped his old 3 into the manure pile and ran over it with the tractor. Cleaned it and still worked! No cracks, scratches, nothing!
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Nov. 25, 2012 at 09:47 AM.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

Just a word here on decision making, a cute case is not the best reason to buy a particular brand I chose my phones and my carrier based on whether I get reception at 1. work 2. Home 3. Any other frequented spot ( or travel destination). Because it's useless unless I have bars.
    So I let my coworkers do the expensive work of buying phones and finding if they function at work.