The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any hunters out there?

Opening day for us!
    I'm writing this 20ft up in my stand.
    Any other hunters out there? Do you do it for sport or for food? (Or both rather).
    What do you hunt with?

Good luck to everyone!!!

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

I'm not but dad and XH are (or were... dad doesn't hunt much anymore unless it's via a fishing pole). XH hunted as much as he could but always did more stalking than "stands".

I do have a deal with the 19yo that helps at the barn where I ride. He already got 1 deer this year and wanted to try to get another but said he couldn't afford processing. I told him I'd pay for processing if he bagged another... if I could have most of the meat. I'm still hoping to get a phone call. Good luck!!
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

There is something really wrong about surfing the net while in a tree stand!

Yes, I hunt, but mostly birds. Dove, quail, pheasant, the occassional goose or turkey. Mr. subk hunts just about anything with a season and usually takes a trip or two out West each year. Both of my teenage daughters have deer hunted, but the younger is a bit more into it with her (pre-Hunger Games) bow.

We eat or give away most of it. We have several friends that also hunt extensively and often entertain each other with different game dishes. We make a venison chilli that's pretty great.

1 members found this post helpful.

I mainly stick to elk and duck/pheasant. I married a great white hunter. If it has a season, he hunts it. Most of my side of the family it's the same way, so if you can't beat them join them.

Yes. no stand hunting here though, we track miles and miles and miles, so you realy want to think before you pull the trigger, about getting it out!! (Montana!) Elk and deer for us but people hunt bear, grouse, birds, wolves,moose and so forth (bow and rifle). I need supervision for field dressing but my husband is super speedy and can get them done pronto (no butt outs or gloves for us! )

good luck to you!!

My first shot gun was a 20 gauge automatic which I used on my first bird hunt. Traveling home I told the DH that those guns that broke in half looked really sexy when you carried them draped over your shoulder or arm. Took only a couple weeks for him to buy me my second gun.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    My first shot gun was a 20 gauge automatic which I used on my first bird hunt. Traveling home I told the DH that those guns that broke in half looked really sexy when you carried them draped over your shoulder or arm. Took only a couple weeks for him to buy me my second gun.
    I got one of my husband's pistols by telling him how amazing ANOTHER pistol looked (he wanted it anyway,a Kimber), so I got the "old" one !! He is amazingly generous though-got me my awesome 30.06 ruger which is a lean, mean, killing machine. Must have something comfortable that we enjoy!! He shoots a 375 H & H which will kill anything at either end-kicks like a mule.I shot it once...that's enough.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    I got one of my husband's pistols by telling him how amazing ANOTHER pistol looked (he wanted it anyway,a Kimber), so I got the "old" one !! He is amazingly generous though-got me my awesome 30.06 ruger which is a lean, mean, killing machine. Must have something comfortable that we enjoy!! He shoots a 375 H & H which will kill anything at either end-kicks like a mule.I shot it once...that's enough.
    I also have a 30-06. Mine is a Winchester model 70. It was my wedding present
    I by far prefer it to my hubby's .243 although it was a little bit of a kick to it.

My crew is out hunting today...opening day in PA and the invasion of the "weekend warriors" is in full swing!!

So far this year we have gotten a lil scawny 4 point that was poached out of season and the game warden let us keep it as we got plate # of vehicle that poached it.

This AM dear sweet son #2 took a very nice 10 point, Daughter took a poor shot at a n 8 point (dear daddy is helping her track it) I hope they find it.

Son #1 took a young but well antlered 10 pointer earlier this year during archery.

Is anyone near Gillett PA that needs a deer. My freezer is already full...just pay the processing fee...PM me if you want as its cold enough to leave them hang for a few days.

Used to be a waterfowler back in the lead shot days, but then had to chose between hunting and horses. Horses I could do all year, so they won out. Now arthritis pretty much rules out any hunting activity.

Y'all might enjoy this site: http://www.whitetaildomains.com/ ,
    especially the live deer cams. If you sign up (it's free), you can take control of them. Each camera site also contains a chat room.There's also a hunter's forum.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

a 243 is a great deer gun and will kill elk if you get a super shot but i'll take the 30.06 every time-it'll drop 'em for sure. My husband loves teh 243 (he likes to say that he likes the 243 but he prefers the "man's version", the 375!!