The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help me Decorate!

I am at a loss as to how to decorate one area in my new-ish (closed in August) house. Hoping COTHers can help.

I think it would help if I knew what it was called in architecture/decorating terms, as I've been searching Pinterest and have found great ideas - but nothing applicable exactly.

I have an open air ledge - more or less - that spans across my living room and divides the area between my living room and kitchen. I'd like to decorate it in a subtle Texas/Western/Horse theme -- some old boots, old saddles, a few potted plants, some equine sculptures, etc.

My problem is that the ledge is about 18' long, 2' wide, and you can see both sides of it (there is no back wall to lean anything on and I want each side to look good).

Do any of you have any ideas of things I can place up there or ways to arrange them that would ensure that it looks good and isn't too cluttered or too full? Or what I can search for online to find ideas? It's kind of in my head, but not nearly well enough for me to pull off at this moment.
    Veni vidi vici. With a paint pony, nonetheless.

My friend had a similar ledge and what she did was make it kind of into a wall with open shelves, if that makes sense? Kind of like this but open on both sides. Then she put interesting blue glass bottles in the different slots.

As far as putting things on the ledge, just play around with it. Check out flea markets & garage sales for cool old stuff and mix and match until you find an arrangement you like.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I have something similar, but only 10' long and 1' wide.
    I have sets of old Quarter Horse books close to the end by the wall, then in the rest a few old race and show trophies.
    Gets many compliments.