The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Yep, I call them kids

I also call them many other names as well, some not terribly nice.

Often in a group that have 2-legged children, I've been known to say something like "I can sell my kids and you can't, at least not legally anyhow!"

I don't have children, never wanted them either. I have enough other relatives that have had 4 or more kids so those 'extras' count for my part of procreation.

They are the major benefactors in my will. Money is to be set aside for their care and friends are listed to find acceptable homes, all except the recent shelter dog, who is supposed to be returned to the no-kill shelter that I got her at in Sept. Gotta remember to add that to the will.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

3 members found this post helpful.

Frequently I ask my husband: "How are the kids!?!" "Let's take the kids for a walk!" "The short kids are outside." Etc!

It simplifies conversation with a mostly deaf man. With so many animals, it keeps conversation very easy!
    Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

Have fun, be safe, and let the mare think it is her idea!

2 members found this post helpful.

Yep I call them my kids I also refer to myself as "Mommy-Person" in their presence. As opposed to Mommy-Cat, or Mommy-Dog or Mommy-Horse you see.

I wonder if the answer to this question is swayed significantly by whether the respondant has human-kids or not. Or how old the human-kids are? Probably a question better answered with a Poll!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

"KIDS, IF YOU WANT DINNER, YOU BETTER COME TO THIS GATE RIGHT NOW OR SO HELP ME YOU ARE STAYING OUT ALL NIGHT AND I AM NOT THROWING YOU HAY!"

They aren't my biological children (or I'd be voluntarily donating myself to medical science) but they occupy part of an emotional niche in my life that probably would be occupied to kids, if I were planning to have any.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

We refer to them all as the children and individually as son/daughter. We don't have actual children, so our substitutes get the honor albeit in a tongue-in-cheek way. Fur babies makes me a little crazy, but really as someone before me pointed out so well, anyone talking baby talk and calling their animals their babies is probably giving them over the top care as well. Far more important things to get torqued about in this world.

Going to pet my children now and tell them Mommy loves them! LOL
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Around here, it's more like, "Alright, the adults are going shopping... get in your cages, ya freaks." ;-)
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

1 members found this post helpful.

No, the closest to cutesy I usually get is calling the cats "my kitties." Can't stand when people say furbabies, the pone, etc. But I'll admit I do call my old gray cat "my son" sometimes. We are super attached to each other, have been ever since the day I brought him home from the shelter. He's laying down at my feet right now. He is by far the most affectionate animal I have ever had, and I've owned two dogs!
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I refer to them as "kids" ("Hey, kids! Settle down!), or "kiddo" ("Come on, kiddo. Let's go outside"), but I don't think I refer to them as MY kids. I do say stuff like "my boys" or "my girl." Does that count?

When asked (as I was the other night) by someone who is getting to know me "how many kids do you have?," I answer two with curly Basenji tails and one with a spotted Appaloosa butt. I guess that's calling them kids in a way. I refer to myself as mom when I talk to the critters, too.

No, not to me - I have real kids. Neither do I like being "Mommy" to animals, but my husband sounds kind of cute when he tells the dogs it is time to "go out with Grandpa" for their nightly chores and his nightly rounds giving hay.

But I guess I am a slave to them.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

My dogs are part of my family, simple as that.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

I don't call my animals my kids or refer to them as sons/daughters/what have you on a daily basis, but I am their "mom" and they take up the space in my life that an actual human child would, and since I don't want any actual human children, I have no problem with my animals being considered my "kids." Besides, as Donella said - they're a part of the family, no matter how you slice it or dice it.

Seems like those who.have child tend not to refer to their pets as kids but people like myself who do not have kids and do not plan on ever having kids do tend to call them kids. Interesting. And I agree... they are part of the family and I am 100% fine with that.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

I don't really. But it is fun to say to the dog, "Grandma's coming!!" and watch the dog freak out. He loves his "Grandma" (my mother).
    You are what you dare.

I never though we would call our animal our kids until DH got a dog who is absolutely in "love" with DH. When ever he comes in from being gone even for a few minutes to a few days she goes nuts when he enters the house, and insists he gives her some attention just like a little kid. So after a long very long weekend ( meaning she was very neurotic) I made the mistake of saying "daddy's home" the scary thing is she knew what I ment and blew out the door( we lived on 5 acers at the time) and knocked DH over and from that moment on it stuck. Then Ds got a dog and as a joke DH called me g'ma.. and it has stuck.. When I got a dog my BC and a very good dog except when he insists e goes down the basement stairs to make sure the boogie man isn't going to get me, and when he and his 65lb body jumps up to have lap time is a bit exesive he is "my baby"... So I'm his mom.. he never leaves my side. I am also mom to a fluff that entered our home about 2 yrs ago after he was found on our front porch after a flood went through our town followed by a snow storm and had icecles hanging off of him. We went to the local shelter to see if anyone had reported a dog lost matching his discrption, left our name and number etc. no one ever came for him. We have two human children who also say to the dogs go ask mom and dad or g'ma.. But in when it come time to take them out in the morning( cuz dh works nights the task falls on ds's shoulders) they say "hey pups time to go out"..
    Friend of bar .ka

I sometimes refer to my dog as "my four legged child" and my roommate and I call our dogs "the kids" , as in "will you be able to take the kids out after work?" or "Hey, I fed the kids dinner before I went to the gym."

Not quite the same as a human child, but I don't have any real children at this point in my life. Even when I do though, I'm pretty sure that I'll continue to do the same.
    Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

Never. Makes me cringe although I have dear friends that do.

In the old days and sometimes still today, you'd hear horsemen (and women) call their geldings "son".

I do admit that I think (to myself only) of my gelding as my son in a way, since I got him when he was a two year old and he is still always finding ways to get into trouble or hurt himself and is young mentally for his age (not his fault, he's been out of work a lot due to lameness). I worry about him, he's my problem child. My mare of the same age, on the other hand, is a grown-up. She's tough, smart and strong and I don't think of her in the same way.

Guilty of calling them my four legged kids. For that matter, I also have grandkitties and a grandhorse.

Would I ever put them ahead of my two legged children or prefer them? Nope.

I have also heard hubby talking to the dogs and cats by starting the sentence "mommy will . . . "
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

I'd rather they be called kids rather than fur babies! For some reason the cutesy-fying of fur babies, grand babies, etc. is just odd, especially when the creatures (both human and otherwise) are way past the baby stage!

But I like animals specifically because they aren't people, so I don't think I'd ever personally refer to mine as kids.

The horses? No. Definitely not my kids. They were in various stages of adulthood when we first became acquainted. While they may enjoy my company to greater or lesser degrees, it is quite clear that they consider me a poor social substitute for another equine. I find it a little weird when people tell me things that my "son" did. If he really was my son, I think someone would be in the tabloids for having him castrated.