The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do you call animals your “kids”?

It’s probably not a popular view on this forum, but I dislike hearing dogs, cats and horses described as “my kids” and am even more uncomfortable when people say with all honesty they prefer animals to humans.

Of course, we’ve all had those days when people piss us off, and a wagging tail, a purr or a nicker brightens our day. But people who take it to extremes – who espouse their hatred of humans and their absolute allegiance to animals? I just can’t imagine being so alienated from my own species, even given its less tolerable members.

When I’m in a snarkier mood, I like recall a great line from The Big Bang Theory after Sheldon acquired a “glaring” of cats to fill an emotional void:

Leonard: Fine, be like my Aunt Nancy. She had dozens of [cats]. And you know what happened when she died? They ATE HER!

3 members found this post helpful.

My dogs aren't kids.

But sometimes, in order to convey to some asshat who wants me to euth at the drop of a hat for a 30 dollar medication for something minor, I will say, "These dogs are like my kids."

I don't HAVE kids. My animals are my priorities.

So no, I don't call my dogs my kids normally.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

No! I don't like it either. Now, I do have human kids, so that certainly colors my perspective. Animals can be a big responsibility and I take it pretty seriously, but, honestly, it's pretty darned easy compared to being responsible for the well being of a young human.

I'll admit that there ARE some days where I prefer the company of animals to humans, but I'll never conflate the two.

H8ll to the NO. I can't stand it when *anybody* calls them my kids. I certainly do not do it myself! I may *think*, but never *say*, that I like animals more than people. It's probably true though!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

never have called the animals kids but sure have called the kids animals

4 members found this post helpful.

I call them "kids", but not "my kids".

As in "come on in kids, it is breakfast time." (The ones at home are 16, 26, and 30)
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, I do call them my "fur babies". And yes I have 2 girls and a granddaughter. Love my kids and my fur babies who stay babies their whole lives.

LOL...the things that get people's knickers in a twist.

No, I don't personally refer to my animals as my children, but I have had other people refer to my animals as my children. Doesn't bother me....really who cares? Thank goodness people love their animals enough to take care of them (those who refer to them as children, probably do)...let's be more concerned about the ones who dump them at the pound, beat them, abuse them.

16 members found this post helpful.

I am the lone female in a house of 'boys.' My husband and our three male dogs. They are affectionately referred to as 'my boys.' Kids, not so much, but I'm not offended if someone calls them my fur kids, my kids, or like my kids.

I don't have children of my own, and we do not plan on having any of our own. I teach 100 8th graders...that's enough to scare anyone from having children of his or her own!
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

We refer to them as The kids - not mine or our. But we also call them critters, animals etc. Often in the text of "have to take care of the kids' - so more to denote they are our responsibility. Have step daughters & grandchildren, no confusion of priorities, but they are our responsibility.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't call any of our animals my kids, unless I had some goats and then they would be kids for a short while. My animals are not children. I do call the geese "Dear" though, as in "Yes, Greta dear" because I have noticed that when she is going on and on with her various noises in my general direction, it seems to make her happy or whatever constitutes happiness in a goose.

1 members found this post helpful.

I call my fish, cat and horse, fur (fin) kids... and I to not feel bad about it for one single second. I very much love my boyfriend, family and friends but there are many times I prefer the company of my fur (fin) kids to that of a human. They do not judge, lie, steel, cheat, betray or berate. Go ahead... judge me.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by glfprncs View Post
    I am the lone female in a house of 'boys.' My husband and our three male dogs. They are affectionately referred to as 'my boys.' Kids, not so much, but I'm not offended if someone calls them my fur kids, my kids, or like my kids.

I don't have children of my own, and we do not plan on having any of our own. I teach 100 8th graders...that's enough to scare anyone from having children of his or her own!
    Oh, wow. I don't blame you. I've only had to deal with two 8th graders so far (one to go)...eek! You are a good person for voluntarily dealing with a 100 of them, that is about the toughest age of all .

I'm the only female human here (husband and three sons), but the dogs are girls. I say we're going to go spend some "girl time" together or I'm going to go out with the "ladies" and take the dogs for a walk.

No. It's far worse. One of my goals is to set up a trust fund for the animals.

And I take their well-being seriously:

Ain't no foster care system for them when I become a junkie.

Ain't no free public education to make them useful members of society.

Ain't not WIC program to make sure the horse gets fed when momma is out of work.

It's all me for as long as they live or I own 'em.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

13 members found this post helpful.

I don't call them my kids, but the lady who works for me calls them "The Babies".

And I guess my Mom has finally accepted that she won't get any grandchildren from me. On the family information list she has listed the names of my 4 horses and 3 dogs in the place where she has listed the names of the children of my siblings.

5 members found this post helpful.

I call my horses and cats my 'four legged kids' even though I don't have any 'two legged' ones.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    I call my horses and cats my 'four legged kids' even though I don't have any 'two legged' ones.
    I call em 4 legged. As in I have no two footers, only 4 footers!
    Another killer of threads

I am in the camp of "my animals are like my kids".
    I have no children, never wanted any.
    I also say that they "are not my kids but they are better than kids."
    Last edited by Lori; Nov. 24, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

7 members found this post helpful.

No, I call my dogs the Jersey Devil and the Crackin (as in, release the Crackin!!") that's not their names, but they are too big to be kids, and I'm too young to have kids haha... Although when you ask my older dog Annabelle (the Jersey Devil) "where's mommy?" she will run to my mom.

When I first got fat pony Tribeca my old riding instructor kept telling her to "be nice to mom" I told here this is no way I birthed a horse.

I do not refer to any of my pets as my children, fur babies etc. Animals are unique and part of the reason I love them so is they are so NOT alot of people I have encountered. I think it is a disservice to them and their unique souls. Also has much as I love them, my husband and family have priority if push comes to shove.