The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Used Book Store Finds

We have a superb used book store in our dinky town called Book 'Em. They give store credit for books you bring in to help keep the inventory fresh. We have found some great deals and have been exposed to some authors we would never have thought to look for on Amazon. Some of our great finds:
    Lady Chatterley's Lover D.H. Lawrence in hardcover for 3$
    Jamaica Inn Daphne DuMaurier for 1.50$
    Echoes From the Macabre Daphne DuMaurier harcover for 4$
    Victorian and Later English Poets Stephens, Beck, & Snow hardcover for 6$, this book is packed full of amazing poems including Oscar Wilde's Ballad of Reading Gaol

We have also picked up some pristine first additions of popular authors for less than 10$. If you haven't been to a used book store in a while, Go! Go! Great deals are awaiting you.

We have McKay's in Chattanooga. Same principle. My biggest score to date: Veterinary Notes for Horse Owners for $8.00!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

2 members found this post helpful.

We have some amazing used bookstores around here. I've managed to find some really fantastic deals - especially on cookbooks. Some in mint condition that retailed for $50-$60 I've gotten for a mere $10 or less.

I found "A Girl and 5 Brave Horses" at our local used bookstore about 6-7 years ago, first edition (I think it was the *only* printing before they reprinted it a few years ago). Cost me about $3, I was THRILLED! The few I had found for sale online at that time were $200+.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

We have Rediscovered Book Shop in Boise. They also give credit for books you bring in. Their inventory is a mix of new and used.

There are a couple of other exclusively used book stores, but they aren't as easy to navigate.
    Sheilah

I found "Hot Blood" in some random Goodwill after I had been searching high and low for it at bookstores.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I bought a copy of the de Nemethy method for only $30 (normally sells for $80-100). I already have another copy but figured I might need a spare to loan out. I also went to a book sale hosted by a library where you pay $5 per grocery bag of books (so you cram as many in as possible). I walked out with a very full bag of horse books- George Morris, Anne kursinski, etc. for only $5!

I happen to be a bit of a bibliophile and love collecting old first editions. One of my favorites is an old first edition of the collected poems of Robert Frost. I also have some books pre-1900s which are very neat to look at too!

My local library has a book sale 2-3 times a year for fundraising, where they sell books that people have donated throughout the year. Books are rarely more than $2-3, and they have a huge selection in all genres. At the last sale, I got 3 paperbacks and 4 gardening books for $10
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Found copies of Pamela and the Blue Mare and Paul Brown's Sparkie and Puff Ball for next to nothing in "antique" stores in downtown Fredericksburg. These were really reading copies only, but Pamela and the Blue Mare, in particular, is scarce/rare and valuable.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

I haven't been for a bazillion years, but if you're in the Phoenix area, the VNSA book sale in February is HUGE. They've probably gotten more sophisticated as far as separating rare and unusual over the years.

http://www.vnsabooksale.org/

If you're in Saratoga, you gotta visit Lyrical Ballad because of their horse/Thoroughbred books:

http://www.saratoga.com/business/lyr...-4261/website/
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorseLittleHorse View Post
    My local library has a book sale 2-3 times a year for fundraising, where they sell books that people have donated throughout the year. Books are rarely more than $2-3, and they have a huge selection in all genres. At the last sale, I got 3 paperbacks and 4 gardening books for $10
    Our library does that sporadically as well. You pay a couple of bucks for a paper grocery bag (donated by the next-door Safeway supermarket), & that couple of bucks buys you as many books as you can fit into that bag! I've gotten some really terrific bargains that way.

In addition, the library also runs its own bookstore in the library, where books that have been either donated or retired from the library shelves are sold for pennies to a couple of bucks. Lots of additional great bargains there as well.

I just found two great coffee table photography books at the local resale shop.

America From 500 Feet - in pristine new condition - gorgeous over head photos of our countrysides! $5

And America's Roads - all the back country driving that has reveals around every bend or the vistas of wide open places. $3

Great Xmas presents for Gramps so they're not going anywhere. Books have the power to transport you in many ways, verbal or visual.

I've also found some old Will James western children's books!! They are for adult supervised reading only!
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

I have a store tht has two rows of horse books - I often take a wheel around there to see what's new. Found some really good classics there from way back.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Our local Habitat ReStore has a decent selection of books, and the most they charge is $1.50 for hardcovers.

I got a really nice cookbook and a copy of a novel called "Keep a Silver Dollar," a horse story by Marjorie Reynolds, recently.

I found a stunning leather bound "The Book of The Horse" in an antique store in Lexington, Va. for $25. There is an inscription in it that says "This book is the property of Eleanore Moncrieffe Whipple, Sept. 27th 1937" I would love to know who she was! The book is just lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by HopeandJoy View Post
    I found a stunning leather bound "The Book of The Horse" in an antique store in Lexington, Va. for $25. There is an inscription in it that says "This book is the property of Eleanore Moncrieffe Whipple, Sept. 27th 1937" I would love to know who she was! The book is just lovely.
    Did they also have a lot of C.W. Anderson? There is/was a shop downtown that had wonderful horse books. Or the antique mall up outside town?

I am incapable of leaving a used book store, library sale, or Goodwill without a stack of books. Worst/best was living in walking distance of the Dover library (NH) and their weeks-long sale. Especially when they hit buck a bag days....

In the Salvation Army thrift store in Kitchener, ON, this summer I found a boxed set of all the Sunbonnet books. The cost? $2.50, for the whole set.
    Be compassionate, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

It wasn't my find, it was my mothers but it's awesome. Several years ago she found a first edition of The Island Stallion Races, signed by Walter Farley, for 15 cents.

I love library booksales and one in particular where I seem to have uncanny good luck. I found a copy of The Blue Mare At The Olympic Games there once - gorgeous copy, I paid $1.00 for it - and another time found a $50 bill in a book. Yes, I did look to see if the book had any ID or name in it, but nada.

I have found a copy of National Velvet with John brown illustrations at the school's yardsale a few years back. It was from another school's library.
    I had bough a couple of huge books about the American Indians there, too. In a purging spree I donated them to the middle school's library.

I also found a like new audio book for my husband at the library used book store. He had previously bought the book, but he has no time to read. The audio version he can listen o on the computer at work (shh, don't tell nobody )

I am always hunting books in the bargain bin (my fav there was a non-fic book about the development of mankind due to music, hardcover for 3 bucks) and such places.
    Big Lots had a bunch of books on clearance the other day for 50 cents. Grabbed Jane Smiley's Horse Haven...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.