The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default i met a Clevela.d Baycross

first of all , I will apologize if there are any typos I am on my cell. Goodhors I believe I met o.e of your horses. A young woman named Stephani has a CBx named Bailey . She has owned him at least 3 yrs I know of. I have judged her at CTRS and she always places well. I asked her this morning w.here she got him. She said he had been part of a 4in handfrom a guy in Michigan. and went onto say he was a carrier. I knew it had to be you. He is such a nice horse and Steph ani has done a nice job w/ him getting him conditioned.thought u enjoy hearing about him. Truly a small world.

Hi Cartfall! So nice to hear from you and on such a GREAT subject!

Yes, Baile is one of our horses that we sold. Stephanie was excited about him from the first call. We really liked Baile, but he "appeared" to have quit growing by the age of late six, and he was really little beside the other horses in the Team of Four. Barely 15.3H, where they were 16.2H to 17H. He also was very short bodied, about 78" next to the 84", full bodied other horses while he was quite slender. He LOOKED like we had gotten a yearling out to stand beside them! We figured he was done growing at this late age, and he would NEVER be a good size match. So he needed a new home.

Baile was a very nice horse otherwise, HUGE stride and faster than scat out playing. He actually COULD run circles around the older, boss gelding and STILL beat the big horse out to the field, and did so to irritate him. When Baile wasn't playing around, he got along well with all the others, and was real nice to handle or ride, good workmanlike attitude. Really a pretty horse too, a totally nice package in one animal.

We have seen some of Stephanie and Baile's photos in the Cleveland Bay newsletter, with their successes on those long rides. Sounds like she is having a blast with him. Also heard thru the grapevine that Baile DID finally grow, 17H, filled out, would now be a perfect match for our Team. DARN IT. You couldn't pry him away from her for anything!! She put the training on him, polished him up, since horse was well started but green (to us) when she got him.

Thanks a bunch for telling us about them, so nice to hear about those horses we sell on. And also THANKS for being a volunteer at the competiton!

I found a couple photos of him on the Cleveland Bay site:

http://www.clevelandbay.org/cbhsna-p...b4173-bio.html

He would have been a heck of a Driving horse for CDE, so athletic, great brain about being accepting. We just didn't wait long enough to let him finish growing up. Typical Cleveland, a late bloomer, but probably will last happy and sound a very long time, working for many years. He is nice gaited for riding all those miles of conditioning and competition.

We had a great visit about Baile. He always does well and I think they were the best horse and rider at this 2 day 50. WE talked about her driving him but she says her point in life right now doesn;t allow for that. She did say if she did would prefer to drive a pair. So glad to share, he impressed me from the first.

Thanks for even more details. Husband has always really liked him. We found him in Louisiana, standing meekly among the QH broodmares with foals, behind barb wire. Husband was warned not to get too near the ditches, might be some alligators in there! Husband figured if this young horse, 3yr old, had gotten to his age with no marks, stayed out of the crabby mares' way, he had lots of brains and skills. Needed to come home with us for a better future. No marks on him from those conditions and husband got to tell folks the horse was "'gator broke" among his skills!

I think the horse was kind of shocked to end up in MI, and it was a heck of a trip home. Came from high 80Fs, sunny, thru bad weather, to SNOW IN MAY on the ground! He puffed his hair, clamped his tail down, stayed that way until JUNE. Ha ha

Made the day for husband to hear about Baile and how well he is doing for Stephanie. Give him a pat for us when you see them again.

1 members found this post helpful.