The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

I don't know any "false claims" that have been made here; the stats speak for themselves.

And impaired driving is dangerous, whether or not anyone agrees. And yes, distracted driving is also dangerous. Near me, a girl was reaching for food or something and ran over and killed a state trooper in his car. But that does not mean that we shouldn't do something about a particular known hazard, rather than "distracted/sleepy driving is dangerous and thats why we shouldn't stiffen any penalities for impaired driving". Thats why states are adopting hands free cell phone laws as well.

And if the stats are correct, it appears that a whole lot of people obviously cannot identify when they should stop. And the consequences of that are significant.

I really don't see what gets everyone's panties so twisted, when no one has suggested any kind of prohibition-drink up! But just NOT drinking and driving. I am always amazed at how people cling to this "I MUST drink and drive!" mentality rather than just taking reasonable steps to not do it. Certainly anyone with whom I've worked who has killed someone a) did not intend to, b) would give anything to have not gotten behind the wheel, and c) are generally hopeful that others do not make the same avoidable mistake. Of course, those that typically have a hard time stopping drinking and driving/seriously defend it tend to be those who really do need treatment in the first place.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    Methinks everyone should get a breathalyzer unit for fun and see what .08 ACTUALLY feels like. In my experience, it was NOTHING like I expected. I felt FINE, but I was LEGALLY IMPAIRED. It was a real eye-opener.
    EXACTLY. No one really knows what .07 feels like. or .08. or .10. (depending on your laws)

I dated a (an asshole doctor) for a bit who actually HAD bought a breathlzer for himself to avoid problems. They're pricey. BUt good gravy....when I weighed 120-130, ONE DRINK could potentially put me over the line. ONE. And it was a timing thing too. You could pound a drink, blow fine in 5 min, and be over the limit in 20. It just not a good way to do this. Seriously. It's not.

I am not a teetotaler. I like a drink. But I like even better to know that I'm 100% okay vs not. And I don't think there's a whole lot of wiggle room between the two that is DISCERNIBLE to most people.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    How much had you had to drink and what did it register?
    Had a few glasses of wine (now, bear in mind that the standard pour for a "glass" of wine is FAR DIFFERENT from my idea of a "glass" of wine). This was quite a while ago, I think it was a .072 or .074? It was definitely higher than I thought it would be for what I had to drink and the amount of time I had it in.
    Last edited by ybiaw; Nov. 26, 2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Um...I know math and decimals?
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Had a few glasses of wine (now, bear in mind that the standard pour for a "glass" of wine is FAR DIFFERENT from my idea of a "glass" of wine). This was quite a while ago, I think it was a .72 or .74?
    Couldn't have been that high. Pretty sure that's a lethal amount.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    Couldn't have been that high. Pretty sure that's a lethal amount.
    Yeah, there needs to be a 0 in there.

Right, sorry--that would be a logical explanation!

Right, sorry--that would be a logical explanation!
    I always forget the 0 - even when I'm talking about BAC's. "Point 8? HOLY HELL!"

Derp.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    Just read the statistics that, despite all the ad campaigns and public education, drinking and driving continues to be on the rise.

What is wrong with people? Why does this continue to be such a problem?

What do you think can be done?
    Nothing. People continue to do what they want because they want to. Despite all the statistics/ info/ warnings on driving under the influence, obesity, drugs, smoking and sexual promiscuity( and all its consequences) people indulge in these things because they want to and just don't care who it may affect at some point in time. We live in denial.

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    Nothing. People continue to do what they want because they want to. Despite all the statistics/ info/ warnings on driving under the influence, obesity, drugs, smoking and sexual promiscuity( and all its consequences) people indulge in these things because they want to and just don't care who it may affect at some point in time. We live in denial.
    Exactly.
    Alcohol is a poison, even in small quantities.
    When that is brought forth, the denial is that "studies show it has some good qualities".
    No, not alcohol, other in some alcoholic beverages may, but alcohol itself is poison.
    Will not kill you immediately in small amounts, but poison it is.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    Making false claims and shrieking about "impairment" don't drive after even one drink just makes you sound hysterical so no one listens to you after that.

Driving DRUNK is very different from driving after eating a meal with a glass of wine, and it's the impaired drivers you need to stop, not the non-impaired drinkers.
    I didn't see one false claim on here...everything I posted is published fact. Do some research.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Exactly.
    Alcohol is a poison, even in small quantities.
    When that is brought forth, the denial is that "studies show it has some good qualities".
    No, not alcohol, other in some alcoholic beverages may, but alcohol itself is poison.
    Will not kill you immediately in small amounts, but poison it is.
    Not only will it not kill you immediately in small amounts, it may not kill you long term even in relatively large amounts. But by all means, next time you watch someone down a couple glasses of wine, be sure and put in a call to your local poison control center.

I always forget the 0 - even when I'm talking about BAC's. "Point 8? HOLY HELL!"

Derp.
    Hehehe, I love "derp." I say "derp de derrr."

I dunno...I suppose a .7 could happen. I had a conversation with a guy who was talking, asking and answering questions, denying being drunk and saying he fell in the parking lot because of his "bad knee" and he blew a .4+ before I took his remaining brewskies and sent him to the ER.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Give me a break. A nice glass of wine isn't going to kill anyone more than 2 strips of bacon a week will kill someone via atherosclerosis in a few years. It's called moderation.

And wine does have beneficial antioxidants. Plus, come one...lower your stress levele a bit and you have a good thing!

i'm definitely going to eat more bacon, but as for the wine? I'm just happy to have public transport now.

Not only will it not kill you immediately in small amounts, it may not kill you long term even in relatively large amounts. But by all means, next time you watch someone down a couple glasses of wine, be sure and put in a call to your local poison control center.
    By definition, something doesn't have to kill you to be a poison:

1. a substance with an inherent property that tends to destroy life or impair health.

2.something harmful or pernicious, as to happiness or well-being

Arsenic won't always kill you immediately or in small amounts, either. Is it also not a poison?

Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    By definition, something doesn't have to kill you to be a poison:

1. a substance with an inherent property that tends to destroy life or impair health.

2.something harmful or pernicious, as to happiness or well-being
    Seriously? Anything "harmful or pernicious, as to happiness or well-being"? By that definition, Justin Bieber is a "poison"--at least according to that worst-song thread.

Can we just dispense with the dictionary definitions and use some common sense?

Alright. It's official. EAT. MORE. BACON!!!!

3 members found this post helpful.