The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    A few more things to think about thanks NDDOT for these stats!):

On average, someone is injured in an alcohol-related crash every two minutes in the United States. Every 30 minutes, someone dies from injuries sustained in an alcohol-related crash. That's 48 lives lost per day.

On the average weeknight between 10 PM and 1AM, 1 in every 13 drivers is is impaired by alcohol. Between 1AM and 6 AM, that increases to 1 in every 7 drivers.

It's estimated that one of every five Americans will be involved in an accident in which alcohol plays a role.

33% of deaths beteen the ages of 15 and 24 are from motor vehicle crashes. About 2 out of every five of these deaths in 1996 was in an alcohol related accident.

In ND, the average cost for every injured survivor of an alcohol-related crash is $67,000, including medical costs, lost productivity, and auto damage.

40%-50% of all traffic fatalities involve alcohol. Alcohol is also involved in 25%-30% of non fatal motor vehicle accidents, up to 64% of fires and burn injuries, 48% of hypothermia or frostbite cases, and 20% of completed suicides.

Crash costs in the US average $5.80 per mile driven drunk and $0.10 per mile driven sober.

Given these facts, tell me again why we're so lenient on drunk drivers?
    Darwin at work?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I think that may be because of the nature of drinking.
    Those that drink don't see anything wrong with being a bit or very tipsy.
    The trouble is that when they drink, no one knows where that will end and since cars and driving is a very important part of our lives, drinking and driving is a very important part of practically all of our lives, we definitely need to regulate it, just as we regulate other kinds of driving.
    I agree. But why can't we regulate drunk driving by simply having police stop drivers whose driving raises suspicion? The same way we enforce other laws: police can briefly detain people on reasonable suspicion. But at a checkpoint, everyone driving down that particular road must stop (sometimes for quite a while depending on traffic) and submit to questioning and produce documents.

1 members found this post helpful.

Darwin at work?
    When many of those badly injured or killed weren't the ones who were driving impaired? Hardly.

3 members found this post helpful.

Driving is a privilege,not a right, on public roadways. You wanna get drunk and drive your ATV or 4 wheel drive on your place, feel free to do so. All the drunk driver killers I've tried and convicted did NOT get a scratch on them when they killed innocent people.

The cops are out there trying to protect people from drunk drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    The cops are out there trying to protect people from drunk drivers.
    "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you."

I can't believe y'all made me quote Ronald Reagan.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    I agree. But why can't we regulate drunk driving by simply having police stop drivers whose driving raises suspicion? The same way we enforce other laws: police can briefly detain people on reasonable suspicion. But at a checkpoint, everyone driving down that particular road must stop (sometimes for quite a while depending on traffic) and submit to questioning and produce documents.
    Uhu?
    The police already does.

Also remember, the police is on the road all the time, they may be the victim themselves just by that.
    They don't want to overlook drunk drivers, that may kill them or their families and friends any more than anyone else does.

Uhu?
    The police already does [stop people for suspicious driving].
    Yes, they do. I'm glad they do.

But the police also man checkpoints and stop people for no reason at all. That's the part I'm surprised people are so comfortable with.

Yes, they do. I'm glad they do.

But the police also man checkpoints and stop people for no reason at all. That's the part I'm surprised people are so comfortable with.
    Really?
    Not around here, in fact, they generally announce it on TV when the police will have special operations where they will have sobriety checkpoints or any other such, like extra speed checks, also one of their announcements.

Really?
    Not around here, in fact, they generally announce it on TV when the police will have special operations where they will have sobriety checkpoints or any other such, like extra speed checks, also one of their announcements.
    They used to do that here, too. But now they're a surprise.

At 0.08%, US has one of the highest legal limits in the world. Many places have a 0.05% limit (most of Europe) and some places like Sweden are as low as 0.02%. In some of those countries you could be pulled over the next morning after a normal night's drinking and blow as intoxicated.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    Study after study after study has shown that even ONE drink (and bear in mind that one drink = one 12-oz. beer, one 5 oz glass of wine, or one shot of liquor, and many establishments serve more than in one order; many mixed drinks have two or three times that amount) alters a person's judgement.
    This is an excellent point, that people may have had a much larger than 5oz glass of wine or whatever and thought they just had "one". And the impairment part is the whole reason, or a big one, to drink! If alcohol had no effect whatsoever, people would not have a beer or two to relax, a glass of wine with dinner or in the bath, a sixpack (18pack here) watching sports and so on. Many DUI clinics used to show a movie called "The toll, the tears" produced by Kelly Burke who himself killed someone WHEN HE WAS NOT DRUNK, but "buzzed", a point he makes in the film. It is about family members of both offenders and their victims,including his own story. I wish they'd show that in more places, one of the better ones for people who think it will never happen to them.

I've started hearing some ads to be careful you're not still drunk in the morning. Also saw a RIDE check once on the way out to the barn about 8 am.

The men and women I know that are LEO, are death on drunks. They are so intent, because anyone with more than about 2-3 years on the job have had to handle their share of fatals. Once you've done a few of them, you're not very tolerant of drinking and driving.

I clearly remember a few years ago, taking a 911 call about a 2 vehicle crash. Bad crash the caller stated. It was bad alright, mother and baby (in approved car seat) both killed at 11am on a weekday by the opposing driver. He had worked a midnight shift, stopped at the bar on the way home for a few, and made it as far as the crash site before he drifted over the center line, killing the mother taking her baby to daycare. I sent an officer who had a baby granddaughter just a few months old. He stated to me later, that could have been XXXX and xxxx.

The attorneys hired to represent their clients are hired to do just that. Represent their clients to the best of their ability. They don't have to like it. They just have to do it. The prosecution team, do their best to make it happen the other way.

We've caught FAR too many who drive without a license (sometimes due to DUI convictions, sometimes not) for me to think this is an effective deterrent. Jail time will sober them up while they are there, but it will not stop them from drinking and driving if they want to once they are out.

One thing I've often wondered, especially with young drunk drivers, is if it would be a deterrent if they had to ride with an ambulance crew or help in the ER after a conviction. To actually see and hear how the ripple effect has on so many not actually involved in the crash. The ER staff from the clerks to the doctors and nurses all have to deal with this. The ambulance staff and the cops as well as the VFD people. It might have a more visceral effect for those who don't have the habit ingrained yet. Might not work either, but what we are doing now, is obviously not working so I'd be willing to support some other idea.

and

Paint Misbehavin: get over it. A few minutes of your life at a DUI checkpoint might save some guy down the road. Or it might save you.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    Paint Misbehavin: get over it. A few minutes of your life at a DUI checkpoint might save some guy down the road. Or it might save you.
    I apologize if I gave the impression that I'm worried about the inconvenience. I'm actually very concerned about the erosion of our rights under the Fourth Amendment. Who's going to save us from that?

2 members found this post helpful.

What about the people have drive well enough not to raise suspicion and in the one moment that they falter they drift across the median and kill someone?

I have zero problem with checkpoints. If giving 5 minutes of my time means that the car behind me with the intoxicated driver is stopped then whats the big deal? 5 minutes vs. saving a life. seems like a no brainer

The police stop you, question you about your alcohol use, sniff to see if they smell it, glance around the inside of your car, ask to see your license and registration and proof of insurance, etc. That's a search. All on absolutely no suspicion of any wrongdoing - just a fishin' expedition.
    No, this is NOT a "search." When you take a motor vehicle on a public highway you are exercising a privilege. To avail yourself of that privilege statute requires you to display to proper authority your license to operate that motor vehicle. In addition, statutes require that you show your registration and proof of insurance. Every jurisdiction I know of requires that an officer have a "reasonable suspicion" of illegal activity before they can make a stop. Once they have that, then they can do the ID check. If, while doing that check, they detect evidence of illegal activity they may investigate further.

I can't speak to other states, but in TN only the State Police may conduct "sobriety check points" and those must be published (date, location, etc.). County or city officers may assist them. AFAIK it's an open question as to whether a vehicle turning to avoid a check point gives rise to "reasonable suspicion" for a stop.

I've been stopped a few times over the years outside our local are (where I know all the troopers). In each instance the stop was professionally conducted and took no more than a few seconds (with no more than a few minutes in line, at most).

During any traffic stop the officer may request permission to search the vehicle. There is no duty to say "yes." The officer may delay your departure to get a K-9 unit, but the delay must be "short." Most times that means not more than 20-30 min. The actual time varies by state.

If you want to prevent intoxicated persons from operating motor vehicles then we could require that all be equipped with intoxication/impairment detection technology. IIRC in TN on second or subsequent DUI conviction the court will order installation of a "breathalizer" that is interconnected to the ignition. Before you can start the car you have to "blow." If you're above a limit (which might be as low as 0.00%) then the car won't start. This only works with alcohol.

I've seen demonstrations of other technologies where simple puzzles must be solved to complete the starting process. I don't know if any of them are in use.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

since we are nearing the end of off topic time....here is something to remember if you decide drinking then driving is OK

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...kandGeorge.jpg

Mark was our son, he was killed by a drunk driver eleven years ago

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    since we are nearing the end of off topic time....here is something to remember if you decide drinking then driving is OK

my deepest sympathy Clanter. He looks like he was a wonderful young man.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    my deepest sympathy Clanter. He looks like he was a wonderful young man.
    Me too, so sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post

That says it all.

My deepest condolences on the loss of your son.