The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Not quite dairy free but this is my winter go-to soup. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...pe/index.htmlt

Just make sure everybody likes garlic!

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    Not quite dairy free but this is my winter go-to soup. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...pe/index.htmlt

Just make sure everybody likes garlic!

<page not found>
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    <page not found>
    OK, plan "B"

Ingredients
    2 cups garlic cloves
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 cup diced onion (1/4-inch dice)
    1 cup finely chopped leek, white part only
    1/2 cup diced celery (1/4-inch dice)
    1 bay leaf
    1 tablespoon grey salt
    1 cup diced, peeled, russet potatoes
    Freshly ground pepper
    4 to 5 cups chicken stock or canned low salt chicken broth
    1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh oregano leaves
    4 cups roughly chopped spinach leaves
    1 cup heavy cream
    Directions
    Peel the garlic cloves, cut in half lengthwise, and remove the central greenish core. Put in a small pan of salted water and bring to a boil. Drain and repeat twice to remove the garlic's heat and leave only the sweetness behind.

Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat until hot. Add the onion, leek, celery, bay leaf, and a little salt to draw the water out of the onion. Cover and cook until the vegetables are soft but not brown, about 10 minutes. Add the potatoes. Add the blanched garlic and stock. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes.

Remove soup from the heat and cool to room temperature. Place cooled pot with soup in refrigerator to chill. Day of party re-heat soup over medium heat. Add the oregano, spinach, and cream and cook 1 minute to wilt the spinach. Transfer to blender and carefully blend until smooth *see note below.

*When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    French Onion Soup! I actually use a Jamie Oliver recipe for it, so I guess its really 'English' Onion Soup! http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/v...h-sage-cheddar - it'd still be good without the cheese!
    I was drooling just reading the description.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
    I was drooling just reading the description.
    I made it for a few friends, and one of them has VERY high standards when it comes to everything, but especially cooking. I had never made this before and when I told her husband thats what I was making he goes, "Oh, Lottie LOVES French Onion soup!" and I was like okay, thanks for making me really nervous & maybe I should make something else then. Needless to say Lottie had 3rds, so apparently she liked it!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Default Chicken Soup w/ Corn and Roasted Cumin

I just made this one last week - REALLY QUICK & EASY.

Saute onion (zucchini) peppers (poblano, anaheim, jalepeno) in bottom of soup pot. Sprinkle in 1 1/2 t ground roasted cumin, 1 t chili powder.

Prep 2 boneless chicken breasts in microwave (in a covered bowl until tender), shred. Add to veggies with 2 c. (frozen) sweet corn, 1 can diced tomatoes, 4 c. vegetable or chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil then reduce and simmer until corn is tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in 2 T of lime juice (this makes the taste!) serve with fresh chopped cilantro - and chips and guacamole. Bingo a whole very tasty meal in no time.
    Last edited by pony grandma; Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: 2 bonelss halves is enough chicken
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

Quote Originally Posted by pony grandma View Post
    I just made this one last week - REALLY QUICK & EASY.

Saute onion (zucchini) peppers (poblano, anaheim, jalepeno) in bottom of soup pot. Sprinkle in 1 1/2 t ground roasted cumin, 1 t chili powder.

Prep 2 whole boneless chicken breasts in microwave (in a covered bowl until tender), shred. Add to veggies with 2 c. (frozen) sweet corn, 1 can diced tomatoes, 4 c. vegetable or chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil then reduce and simmer until corn is tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in 2 T of lime juice (this makes the taste!) serve with fresh chopped cilantro - and chips and guacamole. Bingo a whole very tasty meal in no time.
    This sounds delicious - I love Mexican-style soups!

One question - when you say two "whole" boneless chicken breasts, that translates into 4 boneless chicken breast halves as they're sold in the stores (each boneless skinless chicken breast piece is actually a half of a whole chicken breast). Is that what you meant, or did you mean 2 boneless chicken breast halves as they're sold in the stores.

I do dairy/gluten free for myself and vegan for my hubby.

Soup is whatever is in the fridge. Since I don't own a microwave, sometimes it's leftovers in broth.

Start with grilling an onion and garlic in olive oil, then add what cha got.

I do a beef soup with beef stew meat from Store, dredged in King Arthur gluten free four and salt/pepper. brown the outsides in olive oil, keep in the inside of the meat bright red. Have a separate pot of grilled onions, cabbage (or carrots and peas or green beans or what ever veggie you got in the fridge) add beef broth to that. Add meat to that and simmer, never boil meat. you can add potatoes, cubed if you've already boiled them a little ahead of time. Or add rice or gluten free pasta that is already cooked al dente ahead of time...

Typically when I make things like rice, noodles or potatoes I always have a little left over and can use those in soups as needed.

Currently have a beef and gluten free noodle soup in the freezer and a smoked turkey and wild rice soup in the fridge.

Moosewood Cooks At Home is a great cookbook with recipes that take 30 min or less to make. They have a fab Chick pea and artichoke heart stew and a good black bean as well as a red lentil soup recipe that I use over and over again.

Longevity Soup

1 can Stewed tomatoes
    2 cans chicken broth or vegetable broth
    8 oz Sliced Mushrooms (i use different varieties)
    1/2 bunch Celery, sliced
    1 large Onion, diced
    1 bag Mixed frozen vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, Carrots, Zucchini, Yellow Squash, String Beans, etc)
    1/2 bunch of chopped Kale (leave out the center stems)
    1 Can Garbanzo Beans (No Salt Added)
    3 minced garlic cloves
    1" minced fresh ginger root
    Salt & pepper to taste

You can use whatever beans you like best

Throw everything in a huge pot, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 30 minutes.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    Longevity Soup

1 can Stewed tomatoes
    2 cans chicken broth or vegetable broth
    8 oz Sliced Mushrooms (i use different varieties)
    1/2 bunch Celery, sliced
    1 large Onion, diced
    1 bag Mixed frozen vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, Carrots, Zucchini, Yellow Squash, String Beans, etc)
    1/2 bunch of chopped Kale (leave out the center stems)
    1 Can Garbanzo Beans (No Salt Added)
    3 minced garlic cloves
    1" minced fresh ginger root
    Salt & pepper to taste

You can use whatever beans you like best

Throw everything in a huge pot, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 30 minutes.
    Wonderful - thank you so much. Kale & Garbanzo beans - two of my favorite vegetables!!

One of my favorites

Beef and Barley Soup

Prep: 15 min. Cook: 9 hours
    Yield: 8 Servings
    Ingredients

• 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
    • 1 tablespoon canola oil
    • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
    • 1 cup chopped onion
    • 1 cup diced celery
    • 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
    • 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
    • 4 cups beef broth
    • 2 cups water
    • 1 cup spaghetti sauce
    • 2/3 cup medium pearl barley
    • 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
    • 2 teaspoons salt
    • 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
    • 3/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

• In a large skillet, brown meat in oil over medium heat; drain. Meanwhile, in a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the vegetables, broth, water, spaghetti sauce, barley and seasonings. Stir in beef. Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until meat is tender. Skim fat from cooking juices. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck