The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite Podcasts?

I am looking for some new ones to add to my routine.

I already listen to The Moth, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, How Stuff Works, This American Life, Savage Love, Radio Lab, Sci Fri

I'm looking for some other good story telling ones like The Moth or some other Science related ones. Any faves?
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

Story-telling: Vinyl Cafe with Stuart McLean (CBC)
    Science: Not sure if you can strictly call this science, but I enjoy the TED talks podcasts.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

You listed all my favorites! I also like drama of the week, freakonomics, the truth,

Oh yes, the TED talks. I do enjoy those too.

I'll check out Vinyl Cafe. Thanks!

Never heard of The Truth. I do like Freakonomics--I have loaded the books, but not listened to the podcasts. Thank you!

If you are thinking of economics, then try The Invisible Hand (also CBC). It's an interesting look at economics for the lay-person. One episode was about perverse incentives (looked at legislation, pet breeding, insurance). Another about chickens vs. gold (what would happen in an economic collapse).
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Godless bitches-discussion of atheism, feminism, current events, news
    Living after faith-atheism/leaving religion/pastor turned athiest
    History chicks-story of a women from history
    Tara Brach-buddhism and meditiation with american psycology mixed in
    Secular buddhism- discussion of principles form a non-religious perspective
    Yogamazing Video podcast - 20 min free yoga class-- awesome!

I am not myself an atheist but I find the discussions very intersting. I have however left mainstream reloius practices

The TED talks are great. If you like Wait Wait, try Ask Me Another. I have the NPR player as a free app on my phone and it has a ton of podcasts. I like Science Friday and TAL, but there are a couple other science shows I haven't tried on there, plus StoryCorps.

Ooh, and Car Talk!

All that NPR and no Fresh Air?? My goal in life is to be interviewed by Terry Gross.

I also really like BBC World News. I feel like most US news networks would rather cover Chester the Waterskiing Squirrel than international news.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I listen to most of those!

It's not for everyone, but I love the Overthinking It Podcast. Their slogan is "subjecting pop culture to a level of scrutiny it probably doesn't deserve." We're talking stuff like "Gee, doesn't the structure of the My Little Pony cartoon seem an awful lot like Plato's ideal Republic?" Basically, smash together the most banal pop culture artifacts and high philosophy/academic theory, and you've got Overthinking It. Some people think it's a bore. I think it's hilarious. And yes, it's still funny and interesting even if you haven't heard the song/watched the TV show/seen the movie they're talking about that week.

Since it's HR, here's a link to their blog entry about the MLP thing. "My Little Republic: Plato is Magic"
    http://www.overthinkingit.com/2012/1...le-pony-plato/

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post

I already listen to The Moth, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, How Stuff Works, This American Life, Savage Love, Radio Lab, Sci Fri

I'm looking for some other good story telling ones like The Moth or some other Science related ones. Any faves?
    I think you might be my podcasting soul sister, BuddyRoo. My week just isn't complete without Savage Love and TAL, especially.

Sort of storytelling-related, but with a comedic bent - the Adam Carolla Show and The Nerdist. Oh, and Aisha Tyler's "Girl On Guy". Storytelling by way of interviews of a single guest.

I'm quite sure you'd dig Freakonomics with the list of ones you already listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by SendenHorse View Post
    Godless bitches-discussion of atheism, feminism, current events, news
    Living after faith-atheism/leaving religion/pastor turned athiest
    History chicks-story of a women from history
    Tara Brach-buddhism and meditiation with american psycology mixed in
    Secular buddhism- discussion of principles form a non-religious perspective
    Yogamazing Video podcast - 20 min free yoga class-- awesome!

I am not myself an atheist but I find the discussions very intersting. I have however left mainstream reloius practices
    That first one sounds great. I'll definitely check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by kateh View Post
    All that NPR and no Fresh Air?? My goal in life is to be interviewed by Terry Gross.

I also really like BBC World News. I feel like most US news networks would rather cover Chester the Waterskiing Squirrel than international news.
    Ditto, Fresh Air is freaking fantastic. She asks such great, thoughtful questions that no one else thinks to.

Fresh air, of course, but have you tried To The Best of our Knowledge? Science and interviews and some philosophy. The last few have been about neuroscience, the brain, thinking, etc.

...incidentally, if anyone ever asks where all the liberals go during OT day, I'm pretty sure this is it...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post

OK, I wore out some of your favorites a while ago so not sure if you'll like my current favorites, but you might check out Thinking Allowed, Forum, Frontline, In Our Time, and of course, Chris Stafford Radio. If you haven't already finished History of the World in 100 objects and Lives in a Landscape, you might check out back episodes.

Okay, I've added your suggestions. Thanks! I will test 'em out while I make turkey soup this afternoon and during the daily dog walks!

I do have Fresh Air as well. Forgot to list it. I rarely listen to it on podcast because I usually catch it on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    ...incidentally, if anyone ever asks where all the liberals go during OT day, I'm pretty sure this is it...
    LOL. Card carrying Republican here. But cripes, if I had to listen to Rush while cooking, the vitriol would poison the food.

It might have gotten "lost" in my original post but Drama of the Week by the BBC is really great. Its a weekly hour long audible play.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    It's not for everyone, but I love the Overthinking It Podcast. Their slogan is "subjecting pop culture to a level of scrutiny it probably doesn't deserve."
    That sounds right up my alley -- thanks for the tip! In similar vein, try NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour and possibly Extra Hot Great, which has ended its run but was fantastic while it lasted (and two of the three folks involved are supposed to be back any minute now with a new venture, Previously TV.

I also dig the Judge John Hodgman podcast. Hipster geek paradise!

Dave Ramsey.