The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default UPDATE- we found her!! Please help, eventing friends! Lost dog- Lumpkin, GA

Hi all-

Cross posting this from The Menagerie- I know there must be some eventers down this way...

This is a long shot, but if you are in the GA area please spread the word. My sister-in-law lives in Atlanta, GA but has been in Ethiopia working to establish a women's health clinic for the past month. She left her beloved dog, Maddie, with friends while she was away but has just learned that Maddie ran away during a recent camping trip. Her friends were camping at a campsite near Lumpkin, GA (south of Columbus, zip code 31815). The text below is from her Facebook, if you have any information please PM me or friend her on Facebook through the link below.

My sweet pup Maddie is missing. She was taken camping near Lumpkin, GA and ran off from the campsite. She's a 45lb tan lab/mix breed, tagged and microchipped. We have called shelters, vet hospitals, and local county animal control centers with no luck. I know this is a long shot but if anyone knows anyone in that region or has any ideas, please let me know! Big reward to anyone who finds her.
    Facebook page with photo of Maddie

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you so much!
    Last edited by faybe; Dec. 20, 2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: added info re: location
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

Hey Faybe - I shared it thru my Facebook (I'm in GA) and several friends have done the same. Please keep us posted. My heart breaks for you SIL; she must feel so helpless.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

1 members found this post helpful.

Debbie, you are an angel! Thank you! SIL lives in Atlanta but friends went south to go camping and she doesn't know anyone down that way. I thought horsey folks in that area might have better leads... This dog is like her child- my brother is Navy and deployed right now so the pup is her "family" for most of the year. Thanks again, every bit helps!

Equi-Sport Services

I shared too. I went to Auburn (animal science) and have a lot of friends and know vet students in the Columbus/Auburn area.

Thanks, AUeventer! No word yet, we're hoping today or tomorrow will be better as people at local vets/shelters come back after the holiday.

Equi-Sport Services

Faybe, I'm in Columbus. I'm guessing they were camping near Providence Canyon which is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Aside from calling animal control in Stewart County, has your SIL contacted the park to see if anyone's reported a dog hanging around? Have they posted flyers in the area they were camping? I would think alerting campers and hikers would be your best bet. Maybe the park rangers can help with that. Let me know if you guys need someone to go down and check out any leads. I'll be jingling.

we warmbloods think you should call the TV stations in Columbus GA and ask them to run stories on the dog. They will. Get pictures and get someone to go on the air and tell the story. And offer a large reward. The larger the reward and the sooner it is offered will make a big difference in how many people go looking for the dog.

Immediate action is necessary with tv stations and a big reward if a dog is to be recovered. Good luck!

Thank you guys! I will ask her about calling the park/rangers. I don't know if she knows exactly where her friends were camping, but she is back stateside now (although still not yet back in GA) so will hopefully be able to follow up/go down there herself. A reward is being offered and we are sharing with as many people we can think of (hence this thread).

Equi-Sport Services

For everyone who posted on here, I just wanted to update: today we found Maddie!!! She has apparently been dumpster diving in Lumpkin, and was spotted last week by someone who recognized her from the posters SIL made. SIL was able to find her again but they ended up having to trap her, she was so skittish. But she is home now and healthy, according to her vet. Everyone is so happy, if only she could talk! It must have been an interesting month, but at least she's home safe now.

Equi-Sport Services

3 members found this post helpful.

Yay!!!

What a happy ending to the story. So glad for you!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Merry Christmas! And please give a huge thank you for their service to our country and to the women of Ethiopia.

Wow, that is so amazing and wonderful. I bet that sweet girl sleeps for a week now that she's home and safe.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Very glad to hear this. The perfect holiday gift for SIL.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

A happy ending! This is great!