The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Well Mind you I was only present in Utero, But apparently my dad was on crutches, had a broken leg, there was a freak Blizzard in March in New York that year, Mom went into labor, My dad could not carry the suitcase so there is the pair hobbling in a blizzard to the car, somehow they made it to the hospital and I was born shortly after.
    It would have been way more "New York" to have the kid in the back of the cab, upload the video on Youtube with a well-chosen soundtrack and give the kid the cabby's (ethnic) name as the middle one.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Imagine the saved hospital bills!!!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    A friend had a terrible, LONG delivery with her first. Was pregnant with her second. On her due date she was about to step into the shower. Suddenly, she felt a little funny and felt like if she just got down on all 4s for a minute to stretch she'd feel much better. She did... and had the baby instantaneously on the bathmat

Baby was FINE. She was fine.

That's what you get as a reward for one long delivery
    She then took the shower, right?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    She then took the shower, right?
    Haha! That's what I asked! She actually was going to but her husband was in complete panic mode and insisted they call 911 and go to the ER. When they got there, the staff was kind of like "shrug, what do you want us to do now?! Ya did it!"

Healthy, happy, wonderful baby. I was so thrilled for her. A little unconventional.... but she got what she wished for
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Lol mvp what is the weird fascination with strange birth stories??

I had one of those ridiculously long, horrible labors and a c-section. There are definitely no plans to repeat, but if there were, I would hope for a "bath mat baby" like vxf's friend had!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

When I was a Freshman in college one of my high school friends who was at a different college called me to say that her roommate had a baby in their bathroom! Apparently she had no idea she was pregnant - and she didn't look pregnant either. Holy Crap!!?!?!

By the time my friend went in to the bathroom and found her, the girl had given birth, wrapped the baby up - AND PUT IT IN A BACKPACK!

True story!

(Apparently everyone was OK, but the girl left school after that)

Not my own labor, but my own birth. There's a documentary out right now, "Birth Story" and my start is one of the births. Not having kids myself, it's not really my cup of tea. It's graphic (as in realistic). Both my mom and her twin sister became midwives after my birth. You'll also hear about me in "Spiritual Midwifery". Ughhh. It's followed me my entire life!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGoose View Post
    I know what canoeing can lead to. I also have heard of many stories of canoeing preventative measures failing, then, to think of being oblivious to the results of canoeing and failed prevention measures...... Shudder!!
    Good friend of mine has a family history of birth control failure....IIRC, her mom was the result of a pregnancy WITH an IUD...and her brother was born with it in his hand! Honest!
    D.
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    Good friend of mine has a family history of birth control failure....IIRC, her mom was the result of a pregnancy WITH an IUD...and her brother was born with it in his hand! Honest!
    D.
    What?! The little guy grabbed it on his way out? no freakin' way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    Lol mvp what is the weird fascination with strange birth stories??
    Besides the wacko physical plan of baby storage inside you and squishing it out, shizzle like BELOW happens.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintPony View Post
    When I was a Freshman in college one of my high school friends who was at a different college called me to say that her roommate had a baby in their bathroom! Apparently she had no idea she was pregnant - and she didn't look pregnant either. Holy Crap!!?!?!

By the time my friend went in to the bathroom and found her, the girl had given birth, wrapped the baby up - AND PUT IT IN A BACKPACK!

True story!

(Apparently everyone was OK, but the girl left school after that)

You know that was out there, so the question had to be asked, right?

ETA: So PP, did your friend call you Red Handed as in "I've known you forever, you're my best bud, something is hitting the fan and I don't know what to do!" or did she call after the facts as in "By the way..."
    Last edited by mvp; Nov. 26, 2012 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Inquiring minds have one more question
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    D.
    And another story worth the question.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I didn't know I was pregnant until I was 5 months along. Found out I was having a boy the next day

I'm not naive, young at the time but I knew all the symptoms etc.

I missed my period at the end of April took 5 pregnancy tests at 10 days late. They ALL came back negative. Dr. office said to go back on the pill. End of May hits and I am bleeding like a a stuck pig. I'm talking over a week long cycle that was HEAVY! ( I was likely caring twins.)

I returned to normal cycles after that, light 2-3 days. End of August I am house sitting for my brother and I'm laying in bed watching TV and my stomach started doing flip flops. You could physically see my stomach jumping. It was the weirdest feeling ever ( I was 125# at the time so thin...) A few days later it kept going so I took a test ( don't know what made me think too but it was the only feeling I could come up with. It was coming from the inside for sure!)

I went to the Dr. who confirmed I was prego. They said congrats we will see you in 10 weeks. My Mom was with me and said hey she's felt the baby move. The Dr thought I was crazy. Ok we'll check but I doubt it. Started with a vag ultrasound, took it out and said we're going to switch it up and BAM there was a baby on the screen.

So I literally felt my son move before I knew I was pregnant. He came out healthy

The labor was fun too. 4 days of contractions. Went in and the strapped the external monitors on me. NOTHING was coming up. The resident told me I wasn't having ANYTHING. Mom told her handled pain really well when the resident brought up that I didn't even look to be in pain. She sent me home. The next time Mom insisted I go back again ( I was convinced they would send me home.) Again NOTHING showed up. However my blood pressure was through the roof so they are going to emit me, Come to find out external monitors DO NOT work on me at all. I had been having contractions the whole time and nothing came up. Insert internal monitors and BAM there they are. They still broke my water and put me on pitocin. Then because I hadn't slept in 4 days they gave me and epidural and cranked it up so I could sleep. 12 hours later I had the baby after 45mins of pushing. They supposedly turned the Epidural down so I could feel "Pressure" I told them I could and just watched the monitor so I knew when to push. When he was born his heart rate was threw the roof. the nurse kept saying things like "what is she on" "what was she taking" "someone needs to find out what drugs the mother took" B***h it's called four days of labor!

Second baby I knew BEFORE I missed my period that I was pregnant. It was Soooo different from the first. I went over had to be induced and pushed for way longer on next to nothing for drugs (the epidural didn't work great) he was stuck on my pelvic bone and his heart rate kept dropping of the monitor. I felt EVERYTHING. but other than that he was fine and healthy!

Wow, there are some hectic stories here. I always knew I was pregnant. Unfortunately, due to severe endometriosis, I miscarried early. My daughter is a bit of a miracle - I had a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy whilst about four weeks pregnant with her, and she survived that. I was tiny, too, during my pregnancy, and still wearing jodphurs three days before she was born (when I had my last ride).

I had to have an elective c-section, but I went into premature labour twice before they eventually took her out, and had to be in improdol drips. Other than that, I can honestly say that I loved being pregnant. And I absolutely love being a mom.

3 members found this post helpful.

My Ds in the end came 5 days late ( due Dec 7 came the 12th)now a strapping 19 soon to be 20yr old. I am proud to say I am taller than the cat.. He is healthy though had a rough start due to a birth defect that needed surgery (not related to him attempt to come into the world early) that was caught between a persitant mom and a crusty GP. I however did not fair as well.. he attempted to remove my bladder when he entered the world.. all 11lbs 13oz of him.. on drugs as the drug guy came into the room an hr after he was born.. DH had to hold me down as I attempted to rise off the bed to strangle him.. He then tried to charge me for the drugs and the epi I never got.. Long story.. will tell you abut it some day the story of ds's birth but that another thread.
    Friend of bar .ka

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Besides the wacko physical plan of baby storage inside you and squishing it out, shizzle like BELOW happens.

You know that was out there, so the question had to be asked, right?

ETA: So PP, did your friend call you Red Handed as in "I've known you forever, you're my best bud, something is hitting the fan and I don't know what to do!" or did she call after the facts as in "By the way..."
    She called me after everything went down and said "OMG you are not going to believe this!!" I was expecting her to tell me about a guy or something - not "My roommate just had a baby in the bathroom!"

It seriously sounded like something straight out of an episode of Grey's Anatomy.

When I was in college, one of my best friends from high school had a baby. She did not know she was pregnant.

IIRC, she was on the birth control shot at the time (I am not sure what it is called). She and her family went on a trip to New York. On their way back to the airport to fly home, she said she had some serious cramps and told her dad he had to find the nearest gas station NOW. She ran in to use the bathroom and started majorly bleeding. After sitting in the car for a while, her sister and mother went in to find her.

At that point she told her mom (and later, me) that she sort of suspected she might be pregnant, but thought she was only 2 or 3 months along. She was too scared to take a test. She thought she was having a miscarriage.

They got her off the toilet and rushed her to he hospital where the doctors told her that she was full term and about to have a baby! She told me the delivery was not bad, and he was born healthy and happy.

She said she thought she had gained a little weight, but when she asked, everyone told her she just looked like she hadn't been to the gym in a little while. She is not what I would call overweight.

If I did not know someone that this actually happened to, I would not believe these kind of stories myself.

My mom didn't know she was pregnant with me until, well, until she had me. She lost weight the whole pregnancy, as she was working 2 jobs and walking to work. She had always had irregular periods prior to that. She can't recall feeling me move in ways other than what she thought was bad gas.

On the other hand, I knew I was pregnant about 4 weeks in, since my periods are like clockwork and I was a few days late, and I just felt weird all over. I only gained 20 lbs throughout my pregnancy, baby was 7.5 lbs born at 40 weeks on the dot, and I'd lost all 20 lbs baby weight within 2 weeks, and another 10 on top of that within another 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by nlk View Post
    End of August I am house sitting for my brother and I'm laying in bed watching TV and my stomach started doing flip flops. You could physically see my stomach jumping. It was the weirdest feeling ever ( I was 125# at the time so thin...) A few days later it kept going so I took a test ( don't know what made me think too but it was the only feeling I could come up with. It was coming from the inside for sure!)
    All I can think of is that scary movie where the chick is home alone, phone rings. "The call... is coming from inside the house!"
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGoose View Post
    So she had no symptoms at all? Did she not "look" pregnant? What about periods? Did she have a normal period every month or was she irregular anyway and didn't think anything of not having a period. Not saying I don't believe you, I am just trying to understand how someone can go full term without knowing it. If nothing else, I would think something would show. How can a person have a baby with all the fluid and everything and not show something. These kinds of stories freak me out. I could be walking around pregnant and not even know it! Especially since I don't want a baby!
    I agree! I asked all of the same questions you asked, and was told there were ABSOLUTELY no signs. No, she did not look pregnant. Yes, apparently, period all the way through. Scares the crap out of me too!

Yabbut notice all the variations in the pregnancy experiences! Some women know before the fetus is the size of a grape. Some get blindsided by the thing that remodeled their insides so that they could still button their jeans. Weird stuff.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat