The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    Here's a bad-@$$ story that was on "Untold Stories of the ER".

So this woman goes into labor with her first child. Her husband drives her to the hospital in their brand new car. I'm sure you can tell where this was going. Things happen so fast that she doesn't make it into the hospital, she knows she is going to have the baby in the car in the hospital parking lot. While this is going on, her in-laws show up and the woman who is already crying says to her husband, "Why are your parents here with the video camera?!" to which her husband replies: "Well it's their first grandchild!" then she says: "Instead of helping me, you were calling your parents to come with the camera???"
    The woman starts to yell and scream that she's about to have the baby in the car and she wants at least a bit of privacy and doesn't want her in-laws videotaping this whole thing. Well the baby finally pops out and the husband, instead of being excited, says "I can't believe you had the baby in this brand new car. Look at what's happened to the leather seats!"

The woman sits up and punches her husband in the face. He falls to the ground and has to be carried into the ER on a gurney.
    I can sort of understand the husband at the end. My second came a little too fast. I didn't think I was in labor and went to my Dr's office to find out I was full dialated. He followed us in his car. As I was getting into our brand new car he yelled DO NOT PUSH. I said DON'T WORRY. I made it. He came out while they were getting my pants off. Easy peasy. 9lbs 9oz

I .cannot. believe these stories of the rude/angry OB/GYN's. Holy Moley....if that were my beloved daughter or beloved daughter in law....there just MIGHT be a dead doctor for treating them so badly!

and good for whoever punched the husband in the face about the car seat(s).

4 members found this post helpful.

Anyone done it solo? No one else around.at.all?

Anyone given birth, that being the first clue that you were pregnant?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Haven't been able to read the new posts, but given the change in title, DAMN, you bumped it up a notch! Or ten. Looking forward to reading the new responses!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

With my second child (daughter), I went to the bathroom to pee and felt something "different" down there..... I live out in the Colorado wilderness and the mid wife was at least an hour and a half away. So my husband was going to catch her, but noticed she was presenting as a footling breech. He managed to get our doctor on the phone for guidance, but I just pushed her out anyway and he caught her with the phone clenched between his shoulder and his ear. I don't wait around for discussions. The mid wife arrived in time to join us for breakfast.
    Snowline Sport Horses
    http://www.snowlinesporthorses.com
    Breeder of Hanoverian horses

7 members found this post helpful.

WOW, dbts. Wow.

You get my tough woman award.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

3 members found this post helpful.

A friend of mine did not know she was pregnant until she went to the hospital for stomach pain and delivered a baby instead. Mom and baby were totally fine and healthy. I always thought those stories were made up until it happened to my friend.

1 members found this post helpful.

Not me, but the mom of a couple of kids I used to babysit. She had two local newspaper articles framed and on her wall: baby #1 - 15 minutes of labor and born in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. Baby #2 - 10 minutes of labor and born on the living room sofa while awaiting arrival of ambulance (husband was at work, so she was alone except for kid #1 who would've been about 2). Kids were monsters.

I always hoped that would be me, but I had my twins via scheduled C-section...very boring.
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    A friend of mine did not know she was pregnant until she went to the hospital for stomach pain and delivered a baby instead. Mom and baby were totally fine and healthy. I always thought those stories were made up until it happened to my friend.
    So she had no symptoms at all? Did she not "look" pregnant? What about periods? Did she have a normal period every month or was she irregular anyway and didn't think anything of not having a period. Not saying I don't believe you, I am just trying to understand how someone can go full term without knowing it. If nothing else, I would think something would show. How can a person have a baby with all the fluid and everything and not show something. These kinds of stories freak me out. I could be walking around pregnant and not even know it! Especially since I don't want a baby!

2 members found this post helpful.

Baby goose, if you have don't canoe you won't have to worry
    I can see this being a chapter in sex education, canoeing and the results of canoeing.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Baby goose, if you have don't canoe you won't have to worry
    I can see this being a chapter in sex education, canoeing and the results of canoeing.
    I know what canoeing can lead to. I also have heard of many stories of canoeing preventative measures failing, then, to think of being oblivious to the results of canoeing and failed prevention measures...... Shudder!!

4 members found this post helpful.

My sister is a pediatrician and as part of her residency she did a rotation at a clinic working with teenagers. One of the standard questions she asked was whether they were sexually active and if so, if they were using birth control and/or condoms. I can't tell you how many times she told me stories of clueless teenage girls who had no idea that they should be protecting themselves against STD's and pregnancy. How this happens in today's society, I have no idea. However, it does lead me to believe that it is quite possible that some teenage girls would then have no idea that if they are pregnant that their body will undergo other changes (menustrual cycle etc.)

As for size, my mom was wearing size 8 jeans when I was born. Nobody could tell she was pregnant. In fact, when she arrived at the hospital, the nurses at the front desk asked what she was there for. My father had to start screaming that she was about to have a baby!!!

Well Mind you I was only present in Utero, But apparently my dad was on crutches, had a broken leg, there was a freak Blizzard in March in New York that year, Mom went into labor, My dad could not carry the suitcase so there is the pair hobbling in a blizzard to the car, somehow they made it to the hospital and I was born shortly after.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

As for size, my mom was wearing size 8 jeans when I was born.
    GetouttaTown! A size 8? There are crazy Hollywood moms starving off the baby weight right now... just to get to the size your momma was at full term.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

As for size, my mom was wearing size 8 jeans when I was born. Nobody could tell she was pregnant. In fact, when she arrived at the hospital, the nurses at the front desk asked what she was there for. My father had to start screaming that she was about to have a baby!!!
    I was between an 8 and a 6. I just carried him so tucked up in there, and he never popped outward. On one hand it annoyed me when I'd be waiting for a table at 8 months pregnant and no one would give up a chair. On the other, I totally got out of strangers trying to touch my belly.

The fists and feet in the lungs and heart were wicked. But only having to buy one pair of maternity pants and two shirts made up for it.

That being said, I certainly knew I was pregnant. I'm fascinated with people who didn't. Each pregnancy is so different, it's not totally surprising. But it fascinates me none the less since I felt like such crap the whole time.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I only gained 18 pounds before I gave birth to my full term 7 pound son. Two weeks after he was born, I weighed less than when I got pregnant. My OB kept fussing at me that I was trying not to gain weight, but it wasn't true, I ate constantly. My metabolism went wild trying to grow a baby.

But even not getting fat, there was no way I didn't know I was pregnant. I couldn't breathe, there were baby feet tucked under my ribs, and the ligaments stretching in my pelvis drove me crazy, how could someone not notice these things? Not to mention, growing boobs. Girls are either in complete denial or completely oblivious to their own bodies if they don't know there's a baby in there.
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e

^^^There really are people that clueless. Seriously. If some of these teenagers can't get it in their head that having sex and not using birth control and/or condoms means they have a high probability of getting pregnant, then I can totally believe just about anything else.

I gained 15 lbs with DD, and wore 7/8 pants (unbottoned!). I'm with you Bumknees... 2 months active labor here as well. We were in and out of Labor and Delivery from 26 weeks on, stopping her from coming out! I still "supervised" chores though.

I don't have an epic birth story, other than slapping a cup of coffee out of DH's hand (so not fair that I couldn't have any... I hadn't slept in months!) and trying to explain Danish Warmbloods and Dressage to my OB in between pushes. We were in and out in 72 hours!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

OK, now I think understand 2.5 months of active labor - it was 2.5 months of trying to stop the labor, and in the end experiencing the damn condition for 2.5 months!! Awful! Misery! (not me, the folks here who had it). I was imagining time to have baby, and labor lasted 2.5 months before baby was born at 11 months GA! Can't be, I said. Early labor, though, that must be worrisome. And, probably not easy on the child either.

Hope your kids are fine and dandy!
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

A friend had a terrible, LONG delivery with her first. Was pregnant with her second. On her due date she was about to step into the shower. Suddenly, she felt a little funny and felt like if she just got down on all 4s for a minute to stretch she'd feel much better. She did... and had the baby instantaneously on the bathmat

Baby was FINE. She was fine.

That's what you get as a reward for one long delivery
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

5 members found this post helpful.