The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Bad-a$$ birth stories. P. 3-- anyone done it solo, or not known you were preggers?

Starting with my momma.

So she has me and learns the ropes. For my younger sister, she figures "Hey, I got this."

Yeah well, that amounted to giving birth to my sister's head in the ER's parking lot, in the front seat of our volvo... the one with the cloth seats. I assume she stayed put, feet up on the conveniently placed dashboard and delivered the rest of the shebang there, too.

Seriously. Who does that?
    Last edited by mvp; Nov. 25, 2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Expanding the question
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Seriously. Who does that?
    Er, me!

My 3rd child's labor was 1 1/2 hours start to finish; we live an hour away from the hospital . . . . didn't leave in time . . . and there you are!

It makes a great story in retrospect, though it was not so fun at the time.

2 members found this post helpful.

A friend of my mom's was pregnant with twins. Was her 3rd pregnancy. Thought she had to go to the bathroom...instead she had a baby ON THE TOILET.

It gets worse, though....she named him John (and yes, I'm absolutely serious).
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

32 members found this post helpful.

My sister made it down the stairs and ended up having my nephew on the foyer floor.

My co-worker had hers on the lawn by the front steps of the hospital.

5 members found this post helpful.

I've never given birth but have always thought that those women who popped out the baby so quickly were lucky - even of it weren't in such a convenient spot.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    This is what we advise for broodmares, too. A virgin lawn is a pretty clean place.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

18 members found this post helpful.

LMEqT was kind of funny, I dont know how badass.

When I was nine or so I had a bad spinal injury. Right below where an epidural drips down, I have fusion and there just isnt any dripping gonna happen.

My labor history is this: looooooong beginning, shortish active, instant transition, push/out.

So I go into labor with her and wait for a few hours and head to the hospital. Doctor meets me, 3 cm, gonna be here all night. I say nope, dont leave, pretty soon things are going to get wild.

Right after that this BITCH anethesiologist chick comes in. I tell her the deal, she starts telling me about all these new epidurals blah blah blah and how as soon as I go into active labor I will be SCREAMING for her, just wait she says...smirking... i tell her she is wrong and to leave, I wont be seeing her again unless she wants to come see my baby girl.

Five minutes later my water breaks. I have about five active contractions, 2 transition contractions, push twice and there is LMEqT. My doctor never got his gloves on.

In the bitches defense, she did come by to admire my girl. I was gracious to her LOL
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

12 members found this post helpful.

Dreaded double post.

Sorry.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Mine was fast moving, missed the chance for an epidural. Everyone in the city was giving birth on the same damn day so they were out of birthing suites. I gave birth in a supply room where they'd stuck a bed thinking I'd take a while to dilate there and a suite would open up and they'd move me. Nope. No time.

At least I wasn't the 2 other people who came in after me. One gave birth in the hall and another in the nursing consultants office.

When they figured out my husband worked downstairs in the ER they were pretty horrified. The spawn had a bit of a rough start and having the respiratory therapist trying to work on him in a supply room was a bit terrifying. But it all worked out.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

4 members found this post helpful.

Went to Wichita (about 3 hours away) to watch DH's team at the state wrestling tournament two weeks prior to my due date. Docs knew, were fine with it as I showed NO signs of imminent labor. Got there, DH was at the hotel with the flu, very sick. Got him back to his room finally feeling a little better (he was staying with the team) and went to bed. My water broke at 1 am. One of the parents drove us to the hospital there. When we got there, the triage nurse asked if DH needed a wheelchair or if he'd be ok waiting in the chairs. I replied I thought he'd be ok, but oh, my water broke. She looked around for the candid camera. I did the first 8 hours of my 19 with him in the ER getting fluids and such.

The paper carried the story the next day, and a radio show did a call-in on Monday to see if anyone could beat my story.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    I've never given birth but have always thought that those women who popped out the baby so quickly were lucky - even of it weren't in such a convenient spot.
    Luck, nothin'-- fabulous birthing skillz. A fine adaptation if you ask me.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I'm an obstetrician. My first year out of residency a woman came into the office in active labor. I was on-call and followed the ambulance to the hospital. For some reason I grabbed a pair of gloves. A few minutes into the drive the ambulance pulls over , they opened the back and motioned me over, and we had the baby on the side of the road.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    My ex-MIL did the same thing with my ex-BIL.

My only kid was due December 15. I had my weekly appointment on November 28. The OB said not to expect him (tho I didn't know he was a him till birth) until Christmas. I made an appointment for December 5 at 10 AM.

On December 4, I woke to a contraction. They were mild and 10 minutes apart all day. I helped my grandmother frost cookies and washed the baby clothes I'd gotten at my surprise shower the day before. By dinner, the contractions went 20 minutes apart. I did not nap. Bad idea.

Around midnight, they got harder. Mom called the hospital and they told her to have me shower and take our time coming in, being that this was my first baby and all. (I was 20 and a live-at-home college student. The "father" was never in the picture.)

By 3 AM, we knew it was really real. Dad was taking his time getting ready. Mom was getting worried we wouldn't make the hospital 30 miles away. We left by 3:30 and got to the hospital around 4 AM. Nobody made a sound in the ER until Mom yeled, "Woman in labor!!" then they came running.

They got me upstairs to a labor room (not the good one, that was already taken). My water broke as I was changing. I no longer remember how much I was dilated (it was 23 years ago) but my OB barely made it in time to catch my kid at 4:50 AM. He was quite shocked at how suddenly I went. I just remember trying to sleep between pushes and how much those little shoulders HURT! I didn't have an epi, though. He started to give me one and I started screaming NO NEEDLES NO NEEDLES! He slowly backed away

My sister gave birth to my nephew in that very same room 8 years later, but hers was a long, hard labor and I think a dry birth. OW.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Mine was fast too, thank the lord. Arrived at midnite, was checked over, 3 cm, and was told to chill... at 12:30 I told DH get someone and get them NOW..
    So much for a birthing plan! No epidural, no meds.. out she came at 12:45 am.

Mine did not go well. However a friend had her first in the hospital lobby, the second at the 7 11 about 10 min from her house. She was induced for her third.

My first was an unscheduled C section....I elected not to try a VBAC for the second and third
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

My poor mother had 36 hours of labour with my oldest brother, He was a PITA coming out and has been one ever since.

10 members found this post helpful.

My mother tried to drive herself in her new mustang during LA rush hour traffic while having heavy contractions.

I was polite enough to wait until she arrived at the birthing center and was born a few minutes later.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jive View Post
    My poor mother had 36 hours of labour with my oldest brother, He was a PITA coming out and has been one ever since.
    Same thing with my brother....I always wonder if they had let him be if he would have still turned out to be such an a**

Well I think things were pretty normal on my mom's part but I decided to be a badass and come out not breathing for the first 90 seconds. Five years later my brother was an almost c-section because his oxygen levels kept dropping. Turns out he was intermittently clamping down on his umbilical cord for gosh knows what reason. The middle child was a breeze and then spent the next 18 years making up for her quiet entrance into the world