The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default spinoff: on the FB pages of deceased people. Cars with In Memory of ....stickers

It drives me batty when I see a rear window of a car with "In Memory Of XYZ" and the year of their birth and passing.

I don't understand why people make a constant reminder for themselves. Is it not enough that the person is no longer around enough of a reminder?

And the round white disks on the side of the road where a car crash happened and someone died to me is equally creepy.

I understand the grief of a loss, hell, I lost my sister on my birthday. Believe me, I understand. (my birthdays are never the same)

But to put it on your car where you have to look though the rear window many, many times while driving .....I don't get it.

If you have one of these moving shrines please help me figure it out.

3 members found this post helpful.

My son (age 17) put one on his car when a good friend of his died last year. He wants to remember Austin, every day. He isn't dwelling on his friend's death, but on his life, which, brief though it was, shone amazingly bright.

1 members found this post helpful.

I find it incredibly tacky. Ick.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

4 members found this post helpful.

Gully, I would be interested to hear when and if he takes it down in the coming years.

In high school we had several classmates pass away (we were a really unlucky class), and to this day I have a few of those classmates still as friends and every year like clock work they pronounce that they still miss so and so. Its been since 1991 people .....let them rest and get on with your life.

I think I got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

2 members found this post helpful.

I had never seen the memorials on the rear window until moving to the south. I don't quite understand it either.
    But then again, i am baffled by the window monogram of the owner's initials, too. I love monogramming, but only on objects that can likely be mistaken for another's, or misplaced. One's initials on a car? Weird.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Everyone grieves differently. Everyone finds their own comfort ad their own way to honor those they've lost.

I don't think they're thinking of those few that might find their expression of grief or respect annoying or creepy.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Everyone grieves differently. Everyone finds their own comfort ad their own way to honor those they've lost.

I don't think they're thinking of those few that might find their expression of grief or respect annoying or creepy.
    How rude of them to not consider how their grief might make a stranger feel, eh?
    Last edited by Long Spot; Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

5 members found this post helpful.

It's certainly a heck of a way to find out someone you haven't seen in a while has died. I've pulled up behind a few people in traffic and read the names of former students of mine.

Granted people do grive differently. And while I can understand a sudden passing of a loved one or friend ie. car crash etc. But when I see "In Loving Memory of so and so" and when you do quick math on the birth year and passing year to discover they were like 102, didn't you see that coming?
    Last edited by MunchingonHay; Nov. 24, 2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: spelling

7 members found this post helpful.

I never remember them before Dale Sr. died....but I'm not into NASCAR either so maybe it was in that world longer and earlier.

I do have "...for Calvin..." on my semi trucks in small letters with the required letterings.
    unless you knew us however, you would not have any idea about it.
    tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

8 members found this post helpful.

I don't think people do these things because they were surprised the person died. I'm guessing many do it as a sign of respect. It means something to them, it doesn't have to mean anything to anyone else.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

8 members found this post helpful.

This research states that the more bumper stickers, of any type, including "Jesus Saves" the more likely the driver will be an aggressive driver. I wonder if this holds true for these "In Memory of" stickers?

I see so many more of them in the South and in Florida than in the Northeast. I don't venture out west often, but have never seen them there. In Orlando it can be one out of every ten cars has one of these. It doesn't make it very special anymore...

I think as someone stated above, people grieve differently. Now, personally, I have any desire to put my husband's date of birth or death on my car - well, I don't really even drive, so.... - but I did leave his Facebook profile up. Deleting it just seemed wrong, and his friend's like to go and leave "him" messages. Again, I find that odd, but to each his own, ya know?

I find them creepy also except for one. a young man was killed in a hit and run on a local road. No one has ever admitted who did it. There is a picture of him with the word "God knows" While I might not agree with the statement I hope the person who did it sees it daily
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

My sister died a year and a half ago, her FB page is still up but nobody updates it but on our birthday friends will still leave birthday wishes, etc. I like to look back at the pictures she posted because she was a good photographer and she has some great family pics on it to.

I didn't ride a horse before but she did, I took up riding when she died because I felt like it was a way to be closer to her. I ride in her saddle and didn't change the name tag on the back because its still her saddle, I am borrowing it! My mom's license plate says Cure CF, but its not a memorial, really, just an awareness thing, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SerenaGinger View Post
    This research states that the more bumper stickers, of any type, including "Jesus Saves" the more likely the driver will be an aggressive driver. I wonder if this holds true for these "In Memory of" stickers?
    I found the research very enlightening. It DEFINITELY explains my SO (private car on public road); he feels every cell phone using, no turn signal, tailgating driver is out to get HIM specifically. We've had several serious arguments when he's engaged in retaliatory actions because he seems to forget that MY life and my dogs lives are endangered when he pulls this crap.

On the other hand, I am NOT prone to road rage. I may make an off color remark when cut off, but I've never sped up to give the offender a piece of my mind or worse, sped up to cut them off, and then step on my brakes.

Our car has 7 breed specific decals, club decals, generic dog decals. I put them there, my SO would probably prefer they not be on. so while I appreciate the research, I'm not part of the 16% bumperstickered cars more likely to engage in road rage, at least when I'm driving.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

2 members found this post helpful.

My husband was a Marine (reservist) and his company lost several men on their first deployment, most within a few days. Quite a bit of the company have the stickers on their cars with the names listing the men & freedom isn't free on it.

My husband doesn't, but certainly each day that one died, he can tell you and usually does say a Semper Fi or whatnot to them. I think he just wants to remember his brothers and he does it in his own way and the rest of the Marines use the sticker to show they still remember.

I am not sure it would be quite the same of an elderly family member dying of natural causes or what not. But, I suppose, to each their own. If it brings closure, then I'm OK with that.

and as the exception to every rule:

My ex-bf bought a new truck while we were together. He is the opposite of the research. He de-badged his truck; removed all the dealer stickers, toyota hardware, de-pin stripped it, removed the toyota logo off the front, made is custom plate read 0O0OO0O and had it covered with a tinted plate cover.

He did all of this so when he flipped off, cut off, slammed on his breaks for a tailgater, etc. no one would be able to I.D. his truck. His road rage was so bad I swear I aged 10 years every time I got into the truck with him.

I do have a bumpersticker on my car...it says, "my other car is a buffalo". I got it mainly so I could pin point my car out of a sea of similar looking cars in the parking lot at school.....dang...I am getting old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ4T9CQA0UM for you viewing pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by SerenaGinger View Post

I see so many more of them in the South and in Florida than in the Northeast. I don't venture out west often, but have never seen them there. In Orlando it can be one out of every ten cars has one of these. It doesn't make it very special anymore...

It seems around here that many of them are memorializing people lost in gang or drug violence. Sad.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.