The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff-Things your trainer says that only make sense to you

Reading the "Most "interesting" things you've heard "Trainers" say" thread, most of the statements were crazy, but some of the comments sounded less like uneducated trainers and more like the trainer was using terminology that they knew clicked with their student. So, what does your trainer tell you that would sound crazy to anyone listening in?

My trainer is an excellent rider and trainer. One of the best things about her is that she comes up with new ways of saying things until she figures out what works for each student. Anyone listening in would think she's crazy, but I especially seem to do better once she says something that 'clicks' with my brain. Here's some of the ones she says to me

Keep you legs moving, don't hold them still!- When told to squeeze, I clamp my legs on his sides and tense my legs. I'm not being told to swing my legs around, but to squeeze in the rhythm. Along with this, I'm told "If you want his legs to move, you need to move your legs". Thinking about moving my legs makes me relax and actually use my legs

I want 50lbs of pressure in your outside rein!- No, I'm not really putting that much weight in the outside rein. If she tells me 50, there's a chance I might have 5lbs.

GALLOP with your legs, halt with your outside rein!- Again, put your leg on and stop dropping the outside rein through corners

In my last lesson, she was trying to figure out what made my brain do what it was supposed to get me to make my horse respect both woah and go. She came up with this one "When you put your leg on, it should feel like [horse] has a lit firecracker explode out his a$$" How's that for imagery?
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Ha. I got lots.

"Ride PAST your dead zone."I have a tendency to get a few strides out from a fence and coast. I just stop riding. I don't pull, I don't kick, I just pause. Which typically ruins whatever stride we were coming on, so then I panic and kick, which flattens my horse and we have a rail or whatever. So, we call that spot my "dead zone", and it is a pretty obvious distance (about 4ish strides).

"Fluff the pillow with your heels." This is actually a phrase/imagery from Anne Kursinski by way, I think, of Kim Severson. YEARS ago, in a clinic, she was telling us to pretend like our horses' bellies were a big feather pillow and we were "fluffing" that pillow with our heels every stride of the canter. It came by way of Anne Kursinski, but I've never heard anyone else say it since then, except for my coach.

"Squeeze, squeeze." Again, inspired by another clinician, this time Phillip Dutton. It was one of those light bulb moments, and my coach saw the light bulb go on it my head. It means that when I realize I'm coming close or to a half stride, to squeeze my reins and squeeze my legs to package and support my horse off the ground.

Those are just a few that popped into my head. But, yes, sometimes if you ride with someone for a long time, it can seem like you two are talking a totally different language!

"Aaargggh, LYNN!" This has numerous meanings.
    Click here before you buy.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    "Aaargggh, LYNN!" This has numerous meanings.
    *snort*

"Keep your left elbow below your hip" My dressage instructor. This makes me put it maybe somewhere close to where it should be, and gets me to drop my shoulder instead of both crawling towards my ears.

"Sit on the left side of her" Again, MAYBE I'll be in the middle, maybe...

Love this! From the perspective of an instructor, I laugh and laugh sometimes at how crazy some of my phrases would sound to someone eavedropping without the context/history with the rider and me.

Used to teach an art historian who knew from images about the passage. When she first felt her horse step under and up into the bridle in a proper working trot instead of sprawling along on his forehand, a lightbuld went off, and she said "Ahh, passage!" So then instead of saying, "He's on his forehand. Sit up and half halt, " I could say, "Make his trot more passage-like." It mighta made me giggle to hear the DQ's fainting. I did explain to her the problem with a passage-like trot, but it was a very useful shorthand image!

Once I showed up for a one-off pre-show coaching with a very knowledgeable excellent Olympian. It was the horse's Training event debut, and she didn't have much (cough: any) of a trot lengthening. Olympian's advice for the Dressage phase? "When you get here, trot a little faster. It's all you can do."

"Boobs on a Shelf!" - I used to do a little hunch after landing from jumps. We also called it "turtling" because well, I looked like a turtle. Very unattractive, luckily I have many pictures to remind me. :P

"Peddle! Peddle faster! Keep Peddling!!"

My trainer used this with my kids when she taught a clinic and it stuck. It means to move your feet. Don't just grab with your leg- mostly used at scary things like ditches or water that can essentially be taken from the standstill, but also on pokey ponies that need to be kicked down the line, etc.

"ponytail"= think of sitting up/back so that my ponytail blend with her tail.

Obviously I don't lean back to that extreme, but I need to think this just to get me to sit back to the correct place

When my horse is misbehaving, sucking behind my leg and trying to get too light in front "use your stomach!"

It's shorthand for a whole lot more, but the essence of it is doing everything I have to do to use the muscles which make it feel as if I'm knitting my ribs together in front, including sitting up, looking up, not gripping with my legs, getting my seat bones under me. That one short phrase is enough for my horse to turn from fire-breathing monster into obedient forward-thinking good boy most rides.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Elbow!!! I've had many issues with my left arm, and had lost use of it completely for almost a year. It put me in the habit of allowing my left arm to rotate in and cross my body. I know when my trainer says "Elbow" I'm doing it again.

You're riding a horse, not playing soccer! Means my legs have started to swing a bit.

Stop thinking so much!

- when I ride with my brain instead of my instinct and body. Things tend to go better when I stop analyzing everything trying to make it ALL perfect.

You're not a chicken!

- stop flapping your elbows
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    Stop thinking so much!

- when I ride with my brain instead of my instinct and body. Things tend to go better when I stop analyzing everything trying to make it ALL perfect.
    This!!

As a software programmer for way too many many moons, thinking was always my way of solving problems. It took my trainer, many moons to get me out of my head and into my body. "Don't THINK IT DO IT!!" was a common phrase heard during my lessons.

There are times when I still need to "think it through" just to get it past my conscious mind, but I love how more and more, I can feel what is being taught, and Sterling responds in kind ("Oh thank God he stopped thinking, now I can do my job)

"DON'T PANIC!"

from Ralph Hill and also my current trainer when I have the tendency to choke the stride down to nothing if I don't have the right canter before a fence

It may not look like I'm panicking to anyone who may be watching, but they both know me well enough to see it start to happen and try to stop me

Default I like to say

Put your a** in the tack. :-) Also, "uhm..yeah I HATED that" usually referring to a transition. "do that again and this time no PUKING" downward transition
    "it'll be fun for ME" aka I'm about to work your rear off
    Shoulders back, hands down, leg ON!

http://mellvinshouse.blogspot.com/

I get, "Move his feet!" all the time.

Also, "Hold his hand!"

Both of these make perfect sense to me.

Then there's, "Kim. You're overthinking. Again."

Probably my all time favorite, for simplicity and for the way it impacted my riding forever: "JUMP. THE. EFFING. BANK."

"Don't suffocate the puppy!" is our new one. I forget to use my crop a lot, and will just keep kicking and praying. Trainer finally told me a story about how when her dog was a puppy, she let him pull on his collar so long and so hard that he suddenly passed out. I know what it means, but it's very funny when she has to yell it across the arena when other people are around; it comes out like 'PLEASE DO NOT suffocate the puppy.'

My trainer used to tell me i looked like a troll. She told someone else they looked like a sumo wrestler. she also tells me at shows to go to the red because i school in rasta reins instead of normal reigns. She is honestly one of the nicest and best trainers I've ever worked with but to an outsider she seems really scary

"This is not an 8 minute biscuit!" My trainer yells this when I am communicating something new to my horse and we're struggling. I get the concept of it, "it takes practice," basically, but the 8 minute biscuit has and will forever boggle my mind.