The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default LED TV -- really worth the extra $??

My parents, who still have an old-school TV, will be making the leap to high-def this Christmas. I don't think plasma is even on the table for consideration, so that leaves LED and LCD. I've only done bare-bones research on the advantages of LED, but what little I've read hasn't convinced me 100 percent that LED is worth the extra dough.

Would like to get input from fellow COTHers. What do you guys think?
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I own LED TVs and the picture is 100000000000000 times better than any LCD you could buy and they use less power. The downside is the price and the fact that many manufacturers are making these very thin edge-lit LED TV sets (women apparently love them because they look really cool) that get damaged easily or fail because of bad manufacturing. Right now a lot of TV makers are having hardware failures in their high-end LED sets and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for any of it so far. At this point in time, I would tell you to just buy them a good brand-name LCD and a matching Blu-Ray player and be done with it.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Perfectly, well almost perfectly. happy with my LCD TV. just wish it was bigger but with a living room that's small, I had to make do with what fit. The picture is great, sound is good, and if I need to change the screen size, it's simple to do. It isn't a smart tv as I don't need one, it's just bare bones which is what I needed. Was told by the salesman that if there was a possibility of direct sunlight hitting the screen, get the LCD rather than LED - something to do with coatings, can't remember now, and he did have the chance to upsell but chose to meet my needs rather than sell me something that may have problems. The best thing is they are all so light and easy to hook up - it took me longer to move the old, dead CRT out of the way than to unbox, assemble and set up the new TV.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Alrighty, it seems some explanation is required here.

An LED TV is, by default, also LCD. However, not all LCD TVs are LED.

LCD describes the DISPLAY. This is the part of the unit that creates the picture, and what you are looking at when you watch tv.

LED or non-LED (bulb) describes the LIGHT SOURCE. This is what makes the picture viewable, and it sits behind the display, illuminating it from the rear. LED is lit, obviously, by LED lights. If it's not LED then it's lit by an actual light bulb.

Advantages of LED lit displays include: far less heat produced by the screen, longer lifespan, better viewing angles, brighter displays and (generally) better color, including black.

The only real disadvantage is mainly the cost.

Unless you are really stretching the budget and LED is just not a possibility financially, then it's really your best bet to go with LED.

1 members found this post helpful.

LED, hands down. I used my Purina Points a year ago on Best Buy gift cards, and bought a 55" Samsung...the picture is incredibly clear. (and that took exactly 385 bags of dog food @ $43 per bag, if you're wondering )

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfforgettable View Post
    LED, hands down. I used my Purina Points a year ago on Best Buy gift cards, and bought a 55" Samsung...the picture is incredibly clear. (and that took exactly 385 bags of dog food @ $43 per bag, if you're wondering )
    I hope you got an extended warranty. Samsung's LED TVs are having serious longevity problems. I paid 3 grand for mine a little over a year ago and it's now got lines across the screen when I turn it on. They go away eventually, but it's a sign of screen failure - which requires parts and labor that are about half or more than half what I paid for it - and many other people who bought large Samsung LED TVs over the past three years have had that problem. Some take six weeks, some take six months, many go bad within a year and a half.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!