The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by halo View Post
    THIS.THIS.THIS.THIS.

I do payroll for a training farm. We have about 10 full time employees, and it has been in incredible struggle to keep everyone on full time. Our revenue is over a million a year, yet the actual profit is miniscule. Of course no one cares about that, its just a "million dollar revenue company". Payroll is killing us, what with paying what rate that we can, then adding taxes and work comp per employee. I dont believe anyone working for a company, complaining and striking, has any idea what they are actually costing the company they work for.
    A law firm I worked for in HI hired a new business manager and about 3 months after he started, every paralegal had a private meeting with him. A piece of scrap paper was slid across his desk to the paralegal. On it was their salary and the % of overhead each position was assigned. It was done to show everyone how many hours we had to bill in order to a) pay our salary and b) show a profit for the firm. It was interesting because I'd never thought of it that way. I can't remember what my number was, but I do remember some weeks thinking, "Boy am I making $$ for them this week!"
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm not indignant. And, if you think upper management has little in the way of skills, well--your ignorance of business is showing

Let me clue you in on me and my experience, just so you know how well rounded I am (knowledge, not thighs-that's another topic!)

-I worked in my parents deli (14-16) and then fast food (16-18) during high school.
    -I was active duty USAF for 4 years, I worked part time and went to college part time during those years.
    -I worked from waitress to bartender to bar supervisor to restaurant manager from 1994 to 2008. Small business to corporate.
    -I worked as a groom for a small but successful training and breeding operation for a year.
    -I managed a customer care team for a Fortune 500 for 2 years.
    -I started and continue my own business as a braider.
    -I work as a Fiscal Supervisor for a community college
    -I am halfway through a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting

I know a thing or two about every side of business, quite a bit actually. I know where unions are needed and where they are a burden. I know how employee theft affects a P&L statement. I know when owners do so many withdrawals a business goes bankrupt or closes. I know when and how overhead impacts volume, and how that plays into wages and even incentive pay. I know why companies are taxed, how they are and why B&O taxes in liberal states can prove to be a big barrier to entry for many. I know when expansion happens that resources for pay, bonus, and dividends gets stretched and why paying dividends to those who add to cash flow is the better decision. I know both employees and companies are expendable. I left Xerox as one of their top income producers, they'll live, I'll live, so what.

I know you sound remarkably uneducated and ignorant in the ways of common business. I would suggest coaching or perhaps get a mentor who will further your ability. And, your poor blame-y attitude points to someone I would not want on my (always successful!) team. There is more to "business" than the (in the big picture) few pennies generated by you
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

3 members found this post helpful.

And what should happen, pray tell, if government regulation required that you provide even more benefits to employees? For example, provide them with dental, vision, retirement (assuming you don't already)... or if say, government regulation required THOSE insurance or retirement companies to provide even more services or cover more things? What you say? The price goes up for you, the business? But you are the business! Fork it over! WHAT DO YOU MEAN layoffs and cut hours? Let's blame you! You might have thought you were a business providing a service, but what people THINK you are is an employer, owing your employees jobs or certain wages. Pay up! What? There are unintended consequences to government actions? ...

What I mean is, you're absolutely right that people are clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by halo View Post
    THIS.THIS.THIS.THIS.

I do payroll for a training farm. We have about 10 full time employees, and it has been in incredible struggle to keep everyone on full time. Our revenue is over a million a year, yet the actual profit is miniscule. Of course no one cares about that, its just a "million dollar revenue company". Payroll is killing us, what with paying what rate that we can, then adding taxes and work comp per employee. I dont believe anyone working for a company, complaining and striking, has any idea what they are actually costing the company they work for.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    I'm not indignant. And, if you think upper management has little in the way of skills, well--your ignorance of business is showing

Let me clue you in on me and my experience, just so you know how well rounded I am (knowledge, not thighs-that's another topic!)

-I worked in my parents deli (14-16) and then fast food (16-18) during high school.
    -I was active duty USAF for 4 years, I worked part time and went to college part time during those years.
    -I worked from waitress to bartender to bar supervisor to restaurant manager from 1994 to 2008. Small business to corporate.
    -I worked as a groom for a small but successful training and breeding operation for a year.
    -I managed a customer care team for a Fortune 500 for 2 years.
    -I started and continue my own business as a braider.
    -I work as a Fiscal Supervisor for a community college
    -I am halfway through a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting

I know a thing or two about every side of business, quite a bit actually. I know where unions are needed and where they are a burden. I know how employee theft affects a P&L statement. I know when owners do so many withdrawals a business goes bankrupt or closes. I know when and how overhead impacts volume, and how that plays into wages and even incentive pay. I know why companies are taxed, how they are and why B&O taxes in liberal states can prove to be a big barrier to entry for many. I know when expansion happens that resources for pay, bonus, and dividends gets stretched and why paying dividends to those who add to cash flow is the better decision. I know both employees and companies are expendable. I left Xerox as one of their top income producers, they'll live, I'll live, so what.

I know you sound remarkably uneducated and ignorant in the ways of common business. I would suggest coaching or perhaps get a mentor who will further your ability. And, your poor blame-y attitude points to someone I would not want on my (always successful!) team. There is more to "business" than the (in the big picture) few pennies generated by you
    Gee, yet another rude post from you twotrudoc. I don't know you, but every Off Topic day I can expect that you will have a post about me being ignorant and that you don't like me and clearly you want everyone to know. I get it as does every one else.

I think I know who the little stalker is that gives my posts a thumbs down when I reply "That's funny"....

Twotrudoc, you're right, employers shouldn't be subsidizing health care insurance. We should have single payer/nationalized health care like every other industrialized country. Then, at least, employers will start out on an even playing field.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, stolen, it's not that personal. And, on principle, I don;t use the Thumbs Down feature. Ever. I will say I am not agreeing with the blame-y attitude I see from you and I question your rationale and also your business acumen.

Laura, I think I like the single payer idea but honestly, I haven't paid enough attention to it lately (been busy studying!). I actually *like* the idea of tax that supports healthcare. On food or something we all partake in pops into my head. Gas? I just hate that only business owners bear the burden of health with Obamacare. I think we all need to pitch in, not unfairly burden those who pay our paychecks.
    The Knotted Pony

school districts have done this for AGES. If a special ed student or class requires an aide, the district would rather hire two part time people than one full time person, so that they can cheap out on paying bennies. Same with some custodial staff as well positions like speech therapy, physical therapy, etc.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

It has become norm for many businesses and it's prohibitively expensive for someone to work part-time than it is to work full-time in places where things like gas, owning a car, or public transportation are costly.
    SPACE FOR RENT

2 members found this post helpful.

Wait a sec. The point of a salary was always to be able to allow the worker to maintain himself at least. That's true if for no other reason than to be able to keep working. Common views hold, too, that that wage should allow him to raise kids, deal with health care and his old age.

So people on the corporate side bringing up how much more it costs to have an employee than he is paid per hour? Doesn't that mean that the cost of supporting a working human being is more than the wage? After all, pay someone enough and he can "self-insure" for health care. The same goes for taxes. Corporations contribute to collective goods that the individual firm could not finance for itself.

I think corporations in the US get a better deal than individual people so in terms of legislation that favors one group's interests over another's.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    I make payroll, do you not understand that ? I sell the company product I am responsible for other people's paycheck. I bring in the profit, the office manager does not. You don't sound like someone who understands how a corporation makes payroll....
    You are an administrator. You are responsible for production of revenue. But if you don't make it the deficiency does NOT come from your pocket. Of course you might get fired if you don't make your numbers, but that's a separate issue.

I understand how corporate operations work and how accounting can be used (and abused) within a corporate structure.

Again, when I say "make payroll" I mean be personally responsible (either as a sole proprietor, partner, or small business corporation).

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    You are an administrator. You are responsible for production of revenue. But if you don't make it the deficiency does NOT come from your pocket. Of course you might get fired if you don't make your numbers, but that's a separate issue.

I understand how corporate operations work and how accounting can be used (and abused) within a corporate structure.

Again, when I say "make payroll" I mean be personally responsible (either as a sole proprietor, partner, or small business corporation).

G.
    This is where you are wrong. The current corporate climate is that I am responsible for my own payroll and mid-level management has shifted that burden onto the Project Managers (me). When I started, I was not responsible for bringing in the projects, I was responsible for managing the work products. However, there has been a huge change in the corporate climate that has shifted this burden. I also don't get paid to train and my time working on business development is on my own time.

Corporate management has shifted the responsibility of revenue on the individual PMs. They say, "if you want to work, these are the new rules" which become more difficult every quarter. And mind you, my corporation makes good profit it is the new corporate climate.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post

G.
    And reading Stolen Virtue's other post about "the new rules of the game where Project Managers are directly responsible for earning their keep.... and pure commission jobs and the theme of this thread:

All of it is about distributing risk for slack times and not enough work. The point is that companies are no longer soaking that up, but asking lower-downs and on-call employees to do that.

Fine in theory, I suppose, but of all the players, the part-time employee is the least able to afford it.
    Last edited by mvp; Nov. 24, 2012 at 06:57 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    And reading twotrudoc's other post about "the new rules of the game where Project Managers are directly responsible for earning their keep.... and pure commission jobs and the theme of this thread:

All of it is about distributing risk for slack times and not enough work. The point is that companies are no longer soaking that up, but asking lower-downs and on-call employees to do that.

Fine in theory, I suppose, but of all the players, the part-time employee is the least able to afford it.
    Let's stick to the truth here, mvp. Where exactly is this supposed quote of mine you just quoted??
    Last edited by twotrudoc; Nov. 24, 2012 at 06:46 PM. Reason: a t
    The Knotted Pony

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    This is where you are wrong. The current corporate climate is that I am responsible for my own payroll and mid-level management has shifted that burden onto the Project Managers (me). When I started, I was not responsible for bringing in the projects, I was responsible for managing the work products. However, there has been a huge change in the corporate climate that has shifted this burden. I also don't get paid to train and my time working on business development is on my own time.

Corporate management has shifted the responsibility of revenue on the individual PMs. They say, "if you want to work, these are the new rules" which become more difficult every quarter. And mind you, my corporation makes good profit it is the new corporate climate.
    Payroll for other employees comes directly out of your own bank account then? What state is this? Are you paying the proper B&O taxes for the payroll you pay? Are you insured as LLC, Corp, public, what? This sounds like some wingding Amway thing LOL!!

Get real! You may have seen some numbers off a monthly report that show how your income or revenue even (two different things!) affect payroll ability. You do not make payroll. The ones who make payroll actually pay the pay LOL!!
    The Knotted Pony

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    And reading twotrudoc's other post about "the new rules of the game where Project Managers are directly responsible for earning their keep.... and pure commission jobs and the theme of this thread:

I think it was my post. But that is the new corporate climate. Put people on billable (meaning client paying the 2.5 rate) hours only with training and BD on staffs own time and you have a pretty profitable plan that allows other mid-level corporate managers less responsibility for revenue. And yes, the lower paid staff assumes responsibility and risk.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Let's stick to the truth here, mvp. Where exactly is this supposed quote of mine you just quoted??
    Oops! My bad. I was referring to Stolen Virtue's post. Many apologies. I'll fix it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

No worries mvp, thanks. Stolen and I are not even remotely similar in thought or expression LOL!!
    The Knotted Pony