The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 57
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul. 13, 2008
    Posts
    2,816

    Default

    As a community, business is stupid. If you say "We'll save $3 million in employee wages and benefits by going to part-timers," business will say "Great!" When someone points out that this will be offset by losses - training time, HR time, lost productivity due to higher turnover, etc., this is considered a minor issue that can be countered by threatening and bullying a few full-time people into working harder, longer and for less. Even though what you expect of them - to create equal results with part-time, inexperienced, underpaid and under-trained people - is impossible. Business is stupid. And it's stupid because it's been allowed to be stupid. During every presidential election, they fawn over the business owners. This time, it was "job creators." Last time, it was "Joe the Business Owner." Business is allowed to think like a sociopath, to consider only "Is it good for me?" The questions of whether any given action is good for the country, for the worker, for the world? That's somehow been allowed to fall aside. This is appalling, given how hard people worked to force PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY onto business. Sorry about the shouting, but it kills me that the same people who prattle endlessly about PR for people seem to think that it doesn't apply to companies. Well, come on. If a corporation is a person, than it damn sure has personal responsibilities.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2007
    Posts
    523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brookes View Post
    I personally don't understand the call to "boycott" any company. If you boycott them their sales go down. What happens when sales go down? Employees are cut. All you are doing by "boycotting" a company is helping to put others out of work. That may not be your ultimate goal but it certainly will be the ultimate price paid by the employees. They are the ones who will be hurt first and foremost.
    Boycotting companies is something that I believe in. I for instance will under no circumstances shop at Lowes. Do I think that my boycott will put the company or their employees out of business? No. I do, however, feel that as a consumer we get pushed around an awful lot and the only way to stand up for ourselves is to write a complaint, take a survey (if offered), then boycott if the service does not improve. I feel if I am being treated poorly, then the employees may be unhappy as well.

    As far as the OP's topic: My family is feeling this full force, and it is not fun. DH lost his very good full time job due to 1/3 of the employees getting laid off. All he has been able to find is part time work. It is an unwelcome change. (I am thankful that he has found PT. We desperately want him to find another full time job, unfortunately, nothing has come up yet.)



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2012
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    Which ULTA do you work for ??
    I work at the perimeter one



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov. 6, 2001
    Location
    Fairfax
    Posts
    1,763

    Default

    Little sensitive stolen virtue? This is not about Obama... The act was passed by both houses of congress so plenty of blame to share. This is not about personality or specific people, just about cause and effect.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2010
    Posts
    5,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    As a community, business is stupid. If you say "We'll save $3 million in employee wages and benefits by going to part-timers," business will say "Great!" When someone points out that this will be offset by losses - training time, HR time, lost productivity due to higher turnover, etc., this is considered a minor issue that can be countered by threatening and bullying a few full-time people into working harder, longer and for less. Even though what you expect of them - to create equal results with part-time, inexperienced, underpaid and under-trained people - is impossible. Business is stupid. And it's stupid because it's been allowed to be stupid. During every presidential election, they fawn over the business owners. This time, it was "job creators." Last time, it was "Joe the Business Owner." Business is allowed to think like a sociopath, to consider only "Is it good for me?" The questions of whether any given action is good for the country, for the worker, for the world? That's somehow been allowed to fall aside. This is appalling, given how hard people worked to force PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY onto business. Sorry about the shouting, but it kills me that the same people who prattle endlessly about PR for people seem to think that it doesn't apply to companies. Well, come on. If a corporation is a person, than it damn sure has personal responsibilities.
    Whoda thunk we'd agree? Yeah!

    I SO agree. If a corporation is a person in terms of contributions, it SURE should be a person in terms of personal responsibility.

    And healthcare has been going up for a long time. Romneycare has little to do with it. If we'd gotten Obamacare like he originally wanted, we would have single payer, which MAY have helped keep costs down more. We need nationalized healthcare like all other civilized countries, but it's BS this is the reason for companies paying less and making more profit for the top.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2007
    Location
    ....in a classroom in Fl, by the ocean
    Posts
    3,765

    Default

    I did not even have to read the word "prestige" to know that is where you worked. I worked at one in Ocala for 3 years (key holder) and I transferred to Citrus Park (tampa) for school. That company is run SO FREAKING BACKWARDS!

    All that upper management does is pat each other on the back for a job well done, say they will promote only from within the company, but when a new store opens up they run to the nearest Sephora case off and hire that person instead, leaving Ops. and Merch managers in a loop of "we are going to move you forward ....but only when you are ready" bull $*&T.


    I will stop now....but I could go on and on


    Quote Originally Posted by Papyruse View Post
    I work at the perimeter one



  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb. 25, 2011
    Location
    So California
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    This trend has been increasing for a few decades. It is so much cheaper for companies to pay part time, rather than provide benefits that employees need. The problem is that the burden of these necessities, namely health and retirement benefits, falls somewhere. In the case of minimum wage employers, the burden falls to you and me, the taxpayers, who make up the difference for the working poor. I would much rather have Walmart paying the health benefits of it's employees, rather than me paying them.

    I actually find it outrageous that someone working 40 to 50 hours a week is still poor enough to qualify for food stamps.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    4,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jr View Post
    Little sensitive stolen virtue? This is not about Obama... The act was passed by both houses of congress so plenty of blame to share. This is not about personality or specific people, just about cause and effect.
    The Healthcare Reform act will always be blamed for the increase in healthcare costs by the people who are against it, period. The true FACT about healthcare is that it has been going up consistantly BEFORE the Healthcare Reform Act. It is a silly argument .......and a waste of my time to explain this every OT day to others who have a political agenda. No I am not sensitive just bored with this argument.



  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    11,372

    Default

    SV, I think you really ARE being overly sensitive about the Obama aspect. I was involved in every health care policy change in the last 10 years w/ our company. It has gone up steadily but at an astronomical rate since Obamacare passed because the insurance companies are trying to get ahead of things. It is what it is. It's no one's FAULT. It just is what it is. And it is hard for a small company when your rates go up by more than double in two years. It's hard.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

    Might be a reason, never an excuse...


    4 members found this post helpful.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug. 25, 2007
    Posts
    8,778

    Default

    Hours worked are a barometer of economic health. If the economy supports a large cadre of full time employees (defined here as 40 hrs/week; in some places less than 40 hrs./week) then the economy is healthy. When employers begin to shift to less than "full time" (no matter how that's counted) then you've got an indicator of economic difficulty.

    How many of you here that condemn the shift to "part time" are employers? How many of you have ever had to make payroll? I mean out of your own pocket, not as an administrator? Or deal with the truly massive "alphabet soup" that regulates all manner of employment issues (NLRB, OSHA, IRS, etc. at the Federal level; workers comp.; unemployment comp.; tax authorities; etc. at the state level)? If you have ever had these experiences then you know why employers do what they do.

    Last time I saw any numbers for most businesses the cost of an employee ranges from 1.25-1.65 times the hourly rate of pay. With these kind of numbers employers can't have people just sitting around.

    The one exception I can think of is emergency service workers (police, fire, EMTs, etc.). They, by definition, have a job that is "hours of boredom interspersed with moments of terror." Of course, in reality, when not responding to a call they have duties regarding maintenance of their equipment, continuing education, etc.

    But no entity, except the government, can hire people to just have them sit around.

    G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão


    6 members found this post helpful.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    4,222

    Default

    BR- That may be your expereince but it is not mine. DH's 180% increase, I am no longer shocked, it is good insurance but expensive and it goes up EVERY year.



  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    11,372

    Default

    Yeah, but see our rates increased, yet our benefits decreased and our employee contribution increased as well.

    So I hear ya. It's tough stuff.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

    Might be a reason, never an excuse...



  13. #33
    Join Date
    Aug. 5, 2006
    Posts
    5,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Yes, it is all Obama's fault.....Knew that was coming from some on here. I'm sure the health insurance increase in 2007 was all Obama's fault too...Funny !
    Obamacare WILL indeed make all of this worse. We'll see what tune all the Obamacare supporters are singing when his healthcare policy goes into full effect... Premiums rise, doctors go into private practices, more employees on part time. I already buy my own insurance, I'm so looking forward to paying higher premiums to pay for Obamacare


    6 members found this post helpful.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Mar. 12, 2006
    Location
    Ocala
    Posts
    1,235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Hours worked are a barometer of economic health. If the economy supports a large cadre of full time employees (defined here as 40 hrs/week; in some places less than 40 hrs./week) then the economy is healthy. When employers begin to shift to less than "full time" (no matter how that's counted) then you've got an indicator of economic difficulty.

    How many of you here that condemn the shift to "part time" are employers? How many of you have ever had to make payroll? I mean out of your own pocket, not as an administrator? Or deal with the truly massive "alphabet soup" that regulates all manner of employment issues (NLRB, OSHA, IRS, etc. at the Federal level; workers comp.; unemployment comp.; tax authorities; etc. at the state level)? If you have ever had these experiences then you know why employers do what they do.

    Last time I saw any numbers for most businesses the cost of an employee ranges from 1.25-1.65 times the hourly rate of pay. With these kind of numbers employers can't have people just sitting around.

    The one exception I can think of is emergency service workers (police, fire, EMTs, etc.). They, by definition, have a job that is "hours of boredom interspersed with moments of terror." Of course, in reality, when not responding to a call they have duties regarding maintenance of their equipment, continuing education, etc.

    But no entity, except the government, can hire people to just have them sit around.

    G.
    THIS.THIS.THIS.THIS.

    I do payroll for a training farm. We have about 10 full time employees, and it has been in incredible struggle to keep everyone on full time. Our revenue is over a million a year, yet the actual profit is miniscule. Of course no one cares about that, its just a "million dollar revenue company". Payroll is killing us, what with paying what rate that we can, then adding taxes and work comp per employee. I dont believe anyone working for a company, complaining and striking, has any idea what they are actually costing the company they work for.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    11,372

    Default

    Well, and beyond just PAYING payroll, if you are a company that pays a company like ADT to do the checks? OMG, it's pricey.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

    Might be a reason, never an excuse...


    2 members found this post helpful.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    4,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Hours worked are a barometer of economic health. If the economy supports a large cadre of full time employees (defined here as 40 hrs/week; in some places less than 40 hrs./week) then the economy is healthy. When employers begin to shift to less than "full time" (no matter how that's counted) then you've got an indicator of economic difficulty.

    How many of you here that condemn the shift to "part time" are employers? How many of you have ever had to make payroll? I mean out of your own pocket, not as an administrator? Or deal with the truly massive "alphabet soup" that regulates all manner of employment issues (NLRB, OSHA, IRS, etc. at the Federal level; workers comp.; unemployment comp.; tax authorities; etc. at the state level)? If you have ever had these experiences then you know why employers do what they do.

    Last time I saw any numbers for most businesses the cost of an employee ranges from 1.25-1.65 times the hourly rate of pay. With these kind of numbers employers can't have people just sitting around.

    The one exception I can think of is emergency service workers (police, fire, EMTs, etc.). They, by definition, have a job that is "hours of boredom interspersed with moments of terror." Of course, in reality, when not responding to a call they have duties regarding maintenance of their equipment, continuing education, etc.

    But no entity, except the government, can hire people to just have them sit around.

    G.
    Actually the "multplier" for raw hourly wage and billing rate is more like 2.5. My billing rate brings my corporation plenty of profit. Enough so that the highest paid people do not actually have to be billable. Yah I actually have to know that stuff so that I can manage my corporate profit by each and every project. So let's not speak down to those of us who take issue with the corporate culture of fewer benefits for those of us actually bringing in the sales and thus the corporate profits.
    Spare me the "employers are so put apon to even make payroll", many of us are responsible for our own hours worked every week and making sure the corporation has gotten a hefty profit to boot !



  17. #37
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2005
    Location
    washington state
    Posts
    7,870

    Default

    Stolen, you are definitely over reacting. There is no evidence of anyone being "talked down to" in the post you quoted.

    I think it best you should consider striking out on your own and building the sort of corporation you want rather than complain about the people paying your wages. You work in production or sales, you may want to check out the other sides of the business before you make broad sweeping generalizations.

    In fact, if it is so easy to just make money hand over fist by being a business owner and being a CEO is just a cushy guarantee of making millions, why isn't every single person doing it???
    The Knotted Pony

    Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Aug. 25, 2007
    Posts
    8,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Actually the "multplier" for raw hourly wage and billing rate is more like 2.5. My billing rate brings my corporation plenty of profit. Enough so that the highest paid people do not actually have to be billable. Yah I actually have to know that stuff so that I can manage my corporate profit by each and every project. So let's not speak down to those of us who take issue with the corporate culture of fewer benefits for those of us actually bringing in the sales and thus the corporate profits.
    Spare me the "employers are so put apon to even make payroll", many of us are responsible for our own hours worked every week and making sure the corporation has gotten a hefty profit to boot !
    And why is this a problem???

    Responsibility in the employment relationship is a two way street. The employee deserves a fair day's pay for a fair day's work; they owe the boss a fair day's work for their fair day's pay.

    If an employee is not a source of profit, directly or indirectly, then they ought to be out the door. That rule applies from the janitor to the CEO.

    I'm not "speaking down" to anyone. I'm asking how many have real experience in the business of making a payroll. Be it a one person payroll or a thousand person payroll. Once you've had to really DO it you might be in a better position to criticize.

    G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão


    5 members found this post helpful.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    4,222

    Default

    Twotrudoc-I actually work in the corporate environment and know how profits are made.I am personally responsible for the profit of my office along with many others. I also am trying to build business for a couple of people who were hired as full-time and are now part-time, smart people who have been promised more than they received from the corporation, mainly the office manager, the guy my sales actually pay for. They have bills to pay and need work, and we need them.

    Actually upper management have little in the way of skills, the skill set is with those of us doing the work, keeping clients happy and for me, making public agencies happy as well. It is a tough market but losing the best people makes selling our product nearly impossible.

    Since I actually work in a corporation that is highly profitable, I find it strange that you would think there is a "side" I don't know of. I have worked in my field managing projects for 25 years and I work directly with upper management. I read their business plans-I implement their business plans.

    If you all think that corporate management have tough jobs, that is your opinion. However, spare me your indignation for mine, I have worked in the corporate world for too long to not understand the reality.



  20. #40
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    4,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    And why is this a problem???

    Responsibility in the employment relationship is a two way street. The employee deserves a fair day's pay for a fair day's work; they owe the boss a fair day's work for their fair day's pay.

    If an employee is not a source of profit, directly or indirectly, then they ought to be out the door. That rule applies from the janitor to the CEO.

    I'm not "speaking down" to anyone. I'm asking how many have real experience in the business of making a payroll. Be it a one person payroll or a thousand person payroll. Once you've had to really DO it you might be in a better position to criticize.

    G.
    I make payroll, do you not understand that ? I sell the company product I am responsible for other people's paycheck. I bring in the profit, the office manager does not. You don't sound like someone who understands how a corporation makes payroll....



Similar Threads

  1. Part time Jobs to support your horse habit...
    By Crazy4aOTTB in forum Off Course
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May. 14, 2012, 03:03 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last Post: Dec. 13, 2011, 08:59 AM
  3. Good part-time jobs for college riders?
    By ake987 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Jan. 5, 2011, 11:33 PM
  4. Part-time equine writing jobs
    By Chief2 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Feb. 25, 2010, 10:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness