The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The rise in part time and decline in full time jobs

I'd be interested to hear the wisdom of COTH on this topic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/bu...pagewanted=all

http://whyy.org/cms/radiotimes/2012/...-time-workers/

I caught the second link on NPR and came home and listened to it in its entirety and found the first link they had referenced.

Is this the wave of the future? Is this right? Is there a way to protect employees? Do employees need protecting? What does this mean for our economy and country as a whole?
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

I cannot even explain to you how frustrating this is to me as someone this happens to. I have two part-time jobs. The first one is with a makeup store. I was told when getting hired that my hours would most likely increase with productivity and sales. I started with 18 hours a week and gradually it kept going down and down. Now I get 4 hours a week. I am expected to be able to work whenever they ask yet they will call me up and cancel THE DAY OF WORK. I talked to my manager and asked if I had done something wrong; had I not made enough sales, was my work poor? No, they just didn't have enough hours to go around. I have bills to pay! How am expected to be loyal to a company when I have performed well and they go from giving me 18-20 hour work weeks to 4-0 hours? I went into the store the other day to pick up my check and saw they had a security guard at the front of the store. Turns out that the usual idiots were coming in and stealing $1000's in perfume and hair appliances. So they gave my work hours away.

I should add that my hours got boosted after I told them I had found a second job.

I should ad that my manager wanted to promote me after getting regularly great sales on prestige makeup so I know it's not my performance.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think it's the wave of the future some want. I was driving home, and, as with most of the country except where I live, it's only right wing radio. And ALL it was was people proclaiming losing freedom, government interference, protecting the "job creators," etc. And these were the average people talking about this. Until the brainwashing changes and people start forcing the "job creators" to be "fair," I think it's going to get worse.

What protects basic rights and jobs? Unions. The government. Things like that. They've been so demonized, that, as said on the other thread, while the average wage for a worker hasn't change since the 70's and the average wage for the CEO has risen 300%, you still have half the country supporting this.

Hopefully we're bumping along the bottom of "freedom" and "conservatism" and are turning the corner where we start demanding some basics for all, like a workable wage/full time job, healthcare, and education.

When you think about it, it's "good business" to have a company where you keep everyone as part time so you don't have to pay benefits. Then the CEO's get richer, and they can complain that it was Romneycare that forced them to do it.

Those companies sound like good places to start boycotting, whether you have a full time job or not. When Papyrus has a full time job and a livable wage, it will not only be better for her, but for me and everyone else because she is adding to the economy even if you don't care about the morality element.

14 members found this post helpful.

Beentheredonethat, the NYT article made some similar points. It was the Unions that helped define "a job" as M-F/40 hours. These stores are hiring only what they need rather on an hour-by-hour basis. That means that the cost of having a few extra employees around for slack times is no longer borne by the company, but by the worker.

I'm sure that works well for companies and shareholders, but not for the working stiff who, in theory, needs to buy all this stuff in order to make our economy work.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

It will be interesting to see if we go back to trying to get unions again in this country. Back when companies made a lot of money when they could employ children for cheaper wages, work them 7 days a week 12 hours a day, have no safety standards that endangered workers who could not sure them, and required them to pay in money other people used instead of "company" money. The businesses were very successful then, so why did we demand change?

In the end, we are all in it together. We all need basics and should support each other in that because in the end we will pay for it one way or another.

I also wonder how the upswing in business will require even the most reticent of businesses to step up. All signs show steady growth in housing, people are buying in record numbers, the airlines are busting with people flying ion vacations now, and so on. It's like everybody has been holding their collective breathes and are just tired of it, and now starting to get back to living life instead of expecting some impending doom.

Let's just stay together, like on the Wal-Mart thread, which I haven't really read, but is the same idea. I am not religious, but, we should do what Jesus would want--care for each other, especially those in the worst of situations.

3 members found this post helpful.

This isn't news....it's been happening in the US over several decades. Maybe it's snowballed and happening more in previously considered "secure" jobs, but employers avoiding providing health care coverage by hiring PT in entry level jobs has been "typical" for over 30 years.

What I've noticed is the plethora of retailers hiring HUNDREDS of employees for a particular location only to try stringing them along with 5-10 hour weeks promising "more hours" when the economy gets better. Yeah, they'll ramp up for black Friday and the month of December and then it's "business as usual".

And yes, they call you the night before or THAT DAY scheduled if they can't make their payroll for the week, extremely rude. They justify keeping you on by having you do only ONE function-stocking the shelves, unloading freight or cashier, never multitasking. This way if you move on, they never miss you...two of your fellow co-workers get 3 hours more a week until your replacement is hired.

I have had "weekend only" jobs since 2001, and one was a small business where the owner just wanted her weekends off. At least it was 8 hours per day, which was fine with me, the regular pay supplemented MY small business!

Personally, I won't shop at those big box retailers and you know, I miss NOTHING. I just can't spend my hard earned dollars at places that don't support our own economy & citizens.

7 members found this post helpful.

In a way I have the ultimate part time job -I'm a university adjunct. When you look at the percent of faculty at universities that are not FT you might be amazed. There's alot of talk about Universities making lots of money -let me assure you it's not faculty! I think the appeal of adjuncts to universities is that you don't have to pay benefits, bu that's JMO. I work at 4 different schools and it's either feast or famine.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

1 members found this post helpful.

I can't blame employers. Insurance costs are going through the roof, and people can only pay so much for their products. At some point, it's sack a bunch of people, cut pay/benefits for everyone, or go out of business. Businesses aren't magic money machines where they're just hoarding an infinite supply of cash because they're MEEEEEEEEN. They have to produce a product someone can buy, and one of the few things they can control any more is employee costs. The more employees demand, the more the government forces them to pay, the fewer people they're hire and the more part-timers they'll go to. (And "government"/public-service jobs are the absolute WORST for short-changing white-collar workers. I will never, ever, work for a school of any kind again, that's for sure. They're experts at contract positions and cutting hours. Never had a private employer lie as many times in interviews or pull half as many stunts once you are hired.)

As for insurance, grow up and buy your own. I pay $100 a month with a high deductible (I'd rather NOT, but it's cheaper than getting penalized, and cheaper than living in Massachusetts and paying almost $500/month...) Easier than getting even more taken out of my paycheck, which is what "employer pays your health care" actually MEANS. I already lose almost $200 in taxes and FICA.

5 members found this post helpful.

Which ULTA do you work for ??

Quote Originally Posted by Papyruse View Post
    I cannot even explain to you how frustrating this is to me as someone this happens to. I have two part-time jobs. The first one is with a makeup store. I was told when getting hired that my hours would most likely increase with productivity and sales. I started with 18 hours a week and gradually it kept going down and down. Now I get 4 hours a week. I am expected to be able to work whenever they ask yet they will call me up and cancel THE DAY OF WORK. I talked to my manager and asked if I had done something wrong; had I not made enough sales, was my work poor? No, they just didn't have enough hours to go around. I have bills to pay! How am expected to be loyal to a company when I have performed well and they go from giving me 18-20 hour work weeks to 4-0 hours? I went into the store the other day to pick up my check and saw they had a security guard at the front of the store. Turns out that the usual idiots were coming in and stealing $1000's in perfume and hair appliances. So they gave my work hours away.

I should add that my hours got boosted after I told them I had found a second job.

I should ad that my manager wanted to promote me after getting regularly great sales on prestige makeup so I know it's not my performance.

I am all with boycotting certain employers. I had temp jobs where they would call and cancel you that day! I decided I would try and find an employer that needed me more than I needed them. I have friends that will not shop certain stores because they treat their employees like crap.

jmo,

KH
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

4 members found this post helpful.

I have my own insurance and love the portability of it so much that given the opportunity for FT I'd keep my own and forego the employer's insurance. I can't find dental insurance though?

Danceronice, was your admonition to grow up and buy your own insurance a reply to my post about being an adjunct? I hope not because there are many more concerns about Universities saving money with temp/PT professors than benefits.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I personally don't understand the call to "boycott" any company. If you boycott them their sales go down. What happens when sales go down? Employees are cut. All you are doing by "boycotting" a company is helping to put others out of work. That may not be your ultimate goal but it certainly will be the ultimate price paid by the employees. They are the ones who will be hurt first and foremost.
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

Like TikiSoo said, this has been going on for a long time. A couple of my friends got laid off from full time jobs about 10 years ago and I remember talking then about how it seemed that the wave of the future was going to be for people to earn a living from two or more part-time sources rather than one traditional full time job.

I think boycotting sends a message that the 99 % aren't going to stand it any more and WILL do some good. We DO have power, and choosing not to shop at stores that don't give livable jobs is one you can make. I think we're at a turning point in the world where people are willing to do this now.

And BS about poor company owners just trying to make it. There are a lot of smaller businesses, but that's not who we are talking about. We're talking about multibillion dollar conglomerates who are making record profits that are getting higher and higher every year as the CEO's salaries have gone into the stratosphere. If the CEO only made 100 times more than the worker, than maybe all of their workers could have a livable wage.

And BS in the health insurance. There are lots of threads on this. Depending on where you are, there are NO cheap options. We need single payer, but that's another thread. Hopefully we're heading that way.

I agree government jobs, like schools, can be the worst. But, the difference there is there are unions that are supposed to make sure there is some kind of fairness in the system.
    Last edited by Beentheredonethat; Nov. 24, 2012 at 01:36 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    I have my own insurance and love the portability of it so much that given the opportunity for FT I'd keep my own and forego the employer's insurance. I can't find dental insurance though?

Danceronice, was your admonition to grow up and buy your own insurance a reply to my post about being an adjunct? I hope not because there are many more concerns about Universities saving money with temp/PT professors than benefits.

Paula
    The temping out of university teachers has an appreciable impact on the quality of the service those folks deliver to students.

I can't believe that students and their parents are not yet up in arms about this. Not only are they paying a premium for education, but they are borrowing to do it and don't appreciate having to take on this debt just to get started in life.

Man oh man college students are one group of customers who deserve better.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

5 members found this post helpful.

The health insurance cost to my company has been going up by double digit percentages each year the last few years. Even those of us who started the company 10 years ago and had 100% of the premium paid for by the company per our agreements had to start paying 1/2 of the premium AND our insurance plan has gone downhill substantially in the last few years. Our business just couldn't afford it anymore.

That said, we still didn't go to hiring people part time because we found that for our company, that was NOT a good plan for productivity and quality--the very opposite in fact. Having more employees PT to cover the 24/7 shifts meant needing more higher level HR people, more QA people, and more costs associated with just getting payroll out the door. So we still do not do PT. At all.

I can see how in some companies it might save money, but we ran the numbers and it wasn't going to help us.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Health insurance has been going up every year since 2001. DH had his go up in 2007 180%. They held meetings about it. That is just more BS from corporate. Corporations are cutting benefits and my own corporation has put several people in my office on sold time only-no benefits, only have hours on projects. Hired as full-time and now part-time no more benefits. The office manager does not have to be billable, just others.

The trend to part time is being accelerated by The Affordable Care Act. If you supported that legislation, you are getting what you asked for. What did you think was going to happen? Mandate Cadillac health care plan, tell employers they have to cover once they have 50 employees or pay fine, and then you wonder why people are being put back to part time? Badly designed legislation. They should have worked on competition to bring cost down and increase accessibility through affordability,, not mandated coverage and limited choice driving price up.

Business is not evil, they tend to be rational actors driven by basic financial parameters. Ask them to do something that makes no economic sense, and they will find a way to make it make sense. They have a Responsibility to ALL of their stakeholders to stay solvent.

6 members found this post helpful.

Yes, it is all Obama's fault.....Knew that was coming from some on here. I'm sure the health insurance increase in 2007 was all Obama's fault too...Funny !

1 members found this post helpful.

The increases HAVE gone up more (statistically) since Obamacare passed though. I mean, you have to acknowledge that. I have been involved in the purchasing of health care for our business since 2002. I'm not saying that Obamacare is a bad thing per se for the purposes of this discussion, but it has definitely impacted what ins companies are doing in preparation for things going into effect.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...