The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone else spend Thanksgiving in the ER or hospital?

Raise your paw.

._.

Let's hope next year is better.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

*raises paw* My Mom's been in intensive care for a week now. My best friend in the whole world drove me into Boston to see her yesterday.
    Next year had better be better...
    ....... pausing

sort of--i had a big fall on tuesday and spent the past few days in a pain killer
    fog of sorts. i did make it to the docs for treatment twice thanks to my hero dh.
    i fell not off of my horse, but off the top of the stone wall in my backyard.
    seems it's been just cold enough for a layer of ice to adhere to it. i fell thirteen feet from the top to the bottom, hitting boulders along the way.
    i am sore.

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    sort of--i had a big fall on tuesday and spent the past few days in a pain killer
    fog of sorts. i did make it to the docs for treatment twice thanks to my hero dh.
    i fell not off of my horse, but off the top of the stone wall in my backyard.
    seems it's been just cold enough for a layer of ice to adhere to it. i fell thirteen feet from the top to the bottom, hitting boulders along the way.
    i am sore.
    That begs the question, what were you doing up on that wall?
    Glad that you bounce so well, not to be broken like Humpty Dumpty.
    13'? OUCH!

A neighbor was supposed to come by yesterday about some work and called it off.
    He had food poisoning.

Not Thanksgiving, but I did spend last New Year's Eve (and New Year's Day, and the following 8 days) in the hospital. And since New Year's Eve was on a Saturday night, apparently all the regular staff was taking the entire holiday weekend off. It was so interesting that the attending neurologist for the weekend lived in a city 130 miles away and was staying in a hotel not far from the hospital.

Ouch Suz, no fun at all!

Last year we all spent Thanksgiving at the hospital. One cousin with acute lymphoblastic leukemia, step-father with bone cancer. They were on the same floor and the hospital staff was kind enough to put them in same room so we could all spend the holiday together, no hopping from room to room. It was the last Thanksgiving either of them would spend with us, cousin passed the week before Christmas and step-father lost his battle just over a month ago. We'll be forever grateful for such an accommodating hospital staff last year.

This Thanksgiving was bitter-sweet because even though there were two less seats at the table we know they are in a better place now. Here's hoping we don't have to spend another holiday in the hospital for a long, long time.

4 members found this post helpful.

oh how lovely of the staff to help you guys out.
    and hey i wasn't climbing on icy boulders willy nilly!
    the boulder wall is between the back of the house and the brook below, it's a huge retaining wall we had built just last april to give me a bit of patio and a gorgeous stone walkway.
    i only stepped up six inches to the top boulder next to the lawn to get a better view of the beautiful sunny morning.
    if i had fallen backwards i would have fell six inches onto lawn.
    but nooooooo i had to fall frontwards!
    and bounce off of the rocks on my way down.
    my entire right side is battered and bruised and somehow my left hand index finger was bent back!
    thank goddess for medicated plasters, heat and magnet therapy or i bet i'd still be in serious pain!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    That begs the question, what were you doing up on that wall?
    Glad that you bounce so well, not to be broken like Humpty Dumpty.
    13'? OUCH!

A neighbor was supposed to come by yesterday about some work and called it off.
    He had food poisoning.
    That's what my mother used to call the 24 hour stomach flu. Funny, it always coincided with the day after Thanksgiving and the cooked in the oven overnight at 200 degree turkey...stuffed, of course.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Me! My moms been in for 11 days now! A sucky thanksgiving!
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

Smile

Well, I did but I work in a hospital. When I was 10, in 1966, my dad had a massive coronary, I grew up making hospital holidays so I guess being in a hospital on a holiday is my family tradition...

No, but you've brought back memories! Years ago, my dad and my grandmother were both hospitalized during the Christmas season. To truly cap off the season, it was a freakishly early winter and we had ice storms. My poor mother spent much of her time slithering the 10 miles to the hospital to visit her husband and her mother, then sliding out to the mall to shop for gifts. Grandmother got out for Christmas, he was stuck until New Year's. We had a little hospital tree for him, though.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    That's what my mother used to call the 24 hour stomach flu. Funny, it always coincided with the day after Thanksgiving and the cooked in the oven overnight at 200 degree turkey...stuffed, of course.
    Did your mother ever happen to read The Accidental Tourist?

1 members found this post helpful.

I do feel for you. When I was about 10, my grandmother was in the hospital on Thanksgiving. Everyone had gathered at my uncle's house about 20 miles from where she was hospitalized. She insisted that the dinner go on. We were stopping to see her on our way home (we lived 20 miles the other direction) and she had passed away between us leaving my uncle's house and us getting to the hospital. She had a belly full of turkey, slipped off for a nap and never woke up.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

NO I was in the hospital for almost 4 weeks before that, but went "home" (to a hotel!) on Wednesday. Thanksgiving dinner was fried rice and egg rolls, but it never tasted so good that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribeca View Post
    NO I was in the hospital for almost 4 weeks before that, but went "home" (to a hotel!) on Wednesday. Thanksgiving dinner was fried rice and egg rolls, but it never tasted so good that's for sure.
    so were you in hospital in nyc during sandy? that must have been interesting!
    glad you are able to enjoy your hotel and dinner now!

Ouch, that's awful.
    The closest I came to missing Christmas was the year the entire family got the flu - the bad flu - Christmas evening. We wished we were dead. It was a bad present...
    You are what you dare.

1 members found this post helpful.

I was. I just got discharged yesterday. It sucked but the family is planning a Take Two Thanksgiving Feast once I'm feeling up to it.

Suz - OUCH! Take care of yourself girl!

Not this year. One of my more memorable Thanksgiving ER visits was about 12 years ago, when my younger son toppled off the potty and split his forehead open - and oh, the blood! Took four stitches.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    so were you in hospital in nyc during sandy? that must have been interesting!
    glad you are able to enjoy your hotel and dinner now!
    No, we were not in NYC when Sandy hit, we have been staying in Cleveland. Sandy actually hit while we were here, so we were really really lucky to have been gone. Both our apt. in NYC (which had tennents, they evacuated and aren't coming back) and my step-dad's house in Montclair had bad water damage. The horses live in Montclair but because we were gone were in a boarding barn that stayed dry and safe, it was lucky all around. Our dogs came with us to Cleveland so that was one less thing to worry about.

I have never been in a hurricane so I'm glad I can still say I haven't! From what my BFF tells me NYC still doesn't look the same yet and maybe won't for a long time.

Spent not Thanksgiving but Friday in the ER because I tore my ACL/MCL/Meniscus (not sure which yet, MRI to follow tomorrow). Either way, it sucks! I was 1000 miles away from home too, so I had to hobble around my relatives house on crutches for a day and then fly home, which is a huge pain in the but when you can't walk!