The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Square wool cooler- advice needed!

I'm in the market for a new cooler, and I need help finding what I want.

I really like the one I have, but I don't know the manufacturer and it's way too small for my pony. Like, 12-18" too short (front to back). It's a nice tight fabric, holds shape amazingly well, things don't stick much too it, and just feels like good quality in my hands. What I like most about it is that the neck portion is actually shaped to follow the rise of the neck, without changing where the blanket hits on the bottom. So when it's not on him, folded in half, it looks like this (but clearly not as steep) (okay, so apparently my drawing doesn't want to stay they way I put it... but I think you can still figure it out):
    /l
    / l
    ____________/ l
    l
    l
    ______________l

1) Quality. I don't need or want to spend a fortune, but I really need quality.

2) Big. My horses is 17h and thickly built. But no so big it is a dress, eh? He's a horse, not Mimi from the Drew Carey Show. For example, the pictures on the Curvon website of their square coolers do not appeal to me.

3) Square. Must be square. His neck gets sweaty, too. It actually gets more sweaty than anything else...

4) I would love the option to customize the colors with piping, etc. But I also REALLY like plaid.

I'm aware of the Saratoga ones, but it's hard to judge the quality just from the online picture that appears to be the same one as the their fleece option.

So if anyone has any ideas... my family would very much like to finally have something on my "holiday wish list"

You might like the fitted wool coolers that RaDon makes, and they make a plain square one too http://www.radoninc.com/apparel5.htm

Thanks, Renae! I think those necks are going to be a little too fitted at the neck for my taste. I'm looking for more "square" less "neck" in my ideal cooler.

Last edited by Equibrit; Nov. 26, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Equibrit, I love those coolers but it doesn't look like they come in a cut that will cover the neck? I suppose I could contact them and find out if they can do square... and at what cost

I have one of the Dover brand "walking" coolers. It only comes in navy and hunter, but they hold up well( I have two) and are under $100.

I wonder if you might have luck looking for one made for draft horses. I get that you want the big square, and I agree with you that wool is great and that keeping the neck warm is most important.

I am not familiar with any stores that cater to drafts, but maybe adding the descriptor to a google search will help. Good luck.

ETA

Hey - found one at Smith Worthington. will this work?
    http://www.smithworthington.com/index.php?p=product&id=483

can't believe it so cheap.

Something about like this shape?

http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...ch-rain-cover/

I remember the old wool ones in the State Line Tack catalog from about 10 years ago, but I haven't seen anything much like that recently...

Could you MAKE one? How handy are you?

I've had good luck with the Schneider's wool coolers; I have both the fitted ones (which, by the way, come in small, medium and large) and a square one.

You might be thinking of the Jack's Parkston Tapered Neck cooler, which used to be made in wool but is now only made in fleece. Pictured here on the right:
    http://www.kyhorse.com/store/blanket...s/parkston.htm

I liked that cooler too, but I like wool more...so my horse now wears a $50 contour-neck wool cooler from Schneider's. It gets the job done admirably for the price!

If you could swing about $250, possibly you could talk the gal at The Clothes Horse into making you the shape you want out of one her "sale" plaids. They are 35% off the regular fabric prices.

If you don't find what you are looking for, another option would be to get a wool blanket, some blanket clamps and a surcingle and use that combination instead. Wool blankets run the price range from Army surplus blankets to fine New Zealand wool. With a needle and thread, you could also put in a brow band, ties, and a tail guard. My 17 h stocky Percheron takes a King size blanket for ear to tail coverage. A friend's slim 15 h horse takes a twin size. She got a magnificent New Zealand wool blanket at a garage sale for $2.50! A third option would be to get a wool blend square cooler in a 96 x 102 size. Use with the surcingle, and your Perchie-sized boy would be nice a cozy! I use that over the horse's Schneider's Big Fella Fleece cooler on very wet days, and with the duo combination, he dries out thoroughly. Good luck with your horse!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by Jaideux View Post
    Equibrit, I love those coolers but it doesn't look like they come in a cut that will cover the neck? I suppose I could contact them and find out if they can do square... and at what cost
    You buy a rectangular blanket and modify. (ID FF2)
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

OP- You can always Call Saratoga and ask for swatches. I have a wool riding blanket from them that is awesome! It's a nice medium weight wool (I loved that it came in grey too!). Good luck!

PS they're having a "Cyber Monday" Sale! Code is Cyber20
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

I love Saratoga Horseworks. I have a dress sheet in their dress gordon wool, and it's wonderful heavy stuff and breathes will. It'd make a beautiful cooler, if you're looking for white with blue/green plaid. Might be Woolrich fabric, even?

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    If you could swing about $250, possibly you could talk the gal at The Clothes Horse into making you the shape you want out of one her "sale" plaids. They are 35% off the regular fabric prices.
    If you are fussy, willing to measure, but unsure (and recognize this as long-term investment), I'd also send you to The Clothes Horse.

The carpenter's advice applies here: "Research the snot out of it several times, but spend once." That's what they say, right?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.