The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Unintentional funny movie scenes

Got the tv on while I'm making dinner rolls. The original Poisedon Adventure is on. Just watched the scene were they swim under water and the women all have short dresses and high heels on. It was hysterical seeing them under water with those shoes. I think the director was going for sexy.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

One of my favorite movies of all time!!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

When we went to see the movie The Hours there was a dramatic high point moment when a terminally ill man suddenly threw himself out of a window because he didn't want to live any more. So, a very serious scene. In fact the whole movie was pretty serious and depressing.

But for some reason, when the guy whirled around on the windowsill and dropped out, everyone in the theater started laughing, which surprised me. I know that wasn't the director's intention. But it did look a little funny.

Meet Joe Black. When Brad Pitt's character (I think) gets hit by a bus or whatever in the beginning. Flips way up in the air in the distance. It was so absurd, I still laugh just thinking about it. I think it was supposed to be shocking, but it was so incongruous it just struck me as funny.
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black

1 members found this post helpful.

I immediately thought of 2 movies/scenes when I saw the title of this thread.

One was the one ZiggyStardust mentions above: When Joe Black gets clobbered by TWO vehicles during the sad face/lovey music scene. Laughed my ASS off! I think they were going for total shock and all they got was Holy Hilariousness!!! Pissed my husband off royally. He loves a sappy love flick. I loathe them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDdN_b6TjYo

Mr Blue also made me watch City Of Angels with him. Complete and total dreck. Ages and ages of sap and suck and stupidity. Until the very end...when the pathetic Nicholas Cage character finally falls out of heaven, smashes himself up and becomes mortal JUST to be with his human love Meg Ryan...they have one night of da bing bing...she goes out on her bicycle before he wakes up to get him a peach. On her pedal home, she decides it's a brilliant idea to coast along with her eyes closed and her arms in the air on a winding mountain road.....and....

wait for it....

gets clobbered by a freaking logging truck! Bwahahahaha! I'll take irony for $200, Alex! Took the whole damned snooze-fest of a movie to find out it turns into a dark comedy (probably not the director's intent though) He goes through hell to be with her and she ends up Gone With The Shwinn!
    Last edited by MistyBlue; Nov. 22, 2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: added video link
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

4 members found this post helpful.

Gone With The Shwinn bwahahahahaha I've got tears spurting from my eyes! Now I have to watch that movie.

I remember the Joe Black scene, I thought it was stupid.

Imaging someone throwing themselves out of a window and whirling around at the sill does seem laughable. Almost slapstick comedy.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

The scene in "The French Lieutenant's Woman" where Meryl Streep's character, Sarah, clothed in a long, heavy, hooded cape, walks out onto the jetty. The scene is shot in shades of grey; the waves are crashing, the sea is frothing, and it looks like she is in danger. The alarmed admirer, Charles?, runs out, shouting, as the music swells. The camera pans in to a closeup of Sarah as she suddenly turns around and there we see her pale face framed by shocking red curls under the hood. The resulting effect, for me, was Bozo the Clown. Or envision Carrot Top --certainly not the romantic image the director must have intended, and certainly no Ann Margret effect. I snorted 7-Up out my nose.

1 members found this post helpful.

As much as Insidious terrified me, I will say the part where the paranormal investigator lady (or whatever you'd call her) was talking about what the kid was doing CRACKED me up! "Well, I like to call them Travelers." Something about the way she described it just did not fit the rest of the atmosphere.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Forgive me for this being my first post, but this one takes the cake! From the movie Buried.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADvpmlrVLUY