The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Default Persistant Eye Tic?

Has anyone ever developed a persistant eye tic? Did it resolve on it's own? Any clear cause? My left upper eyelid tic several times an hour, all day long. No clear pattern as to what makes it tic more or less. Started a few months ago and is now constant.

it's not painful, but it's definitely annoying, and I can't think of any specific trigger that would have brought it on. I actually have LESS stress in my life than in a long time- kids are great, hubby is great, horse is great, work is great, my health is great. Things are just really good right now, but i have this annoying eye tic.

I do plan to get it checked out at my doctor, but just wondering if anyone has/ had this, and has any insight as to what caused it and if anything can actively be done to resolve it.

Thanks!
    ~Living the life I imagined~

When I got very little sleep and worked two weeks straight, 12 hrs a day.
    My eyesight also got significantly worse, it always does when I'm tired. I suspect they are related, but I don't know. My whole body got a little out of whack and my balance out, I'd miss turns and scrape the wall.
    It resolves when I get back my sleep and rest. Rest really helps.

Mine will do that from time to time. It comes and goes. I find eating foods with lots of potassium helps quite a bit. When mine starts tic-ing away, I eat a banana everyday for breakfast (among other things), and it goes away in a few days.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    Mine will do that from time to time. It comes and goes. I find eating foods with lots of potassium helps quite a bit. When mine starts tic-ing away, I eat a banana everyday for breakfast (among other things), and it goes away in a few days.
    I have the same thing, but I don't think it is only potassium, because bananas don't always work. I find that if I start taking a general multi-vitamin, the tic goes away within 5-7 days.

Reduce your caffeine intake, too!

I had a tic like you describe on and off for about five years. It would occur more frequently in times of stress, or when I drank alcohol. Then a couple years ago, it just...went away.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I have gone to my eye doctor for it and he said it's stress related. If it is persistent like yours they can give you something for it. I would head to your eye dr - it is seriously annoying.

I had an eye tick when before and during the time I was treated for Lyme disease. Now I only have one if I'm very stressed.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I had one appear about a year ago that coincided with my not wearing my glasses regularly. Once I resumed wearing them it went away. Annoying and embarrassing when you are talking to someone and it starts up!

I don't know if you wear glasses or contacts, but maybe you have changed them recently?
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

I get one with my left eye during times of high anxiety/stress. I find if I massage my eye area, it helps, but it eventually comes back no matter what until the stress is under control. I also have a finger that will do it as well, my first finger on my left hand, so both of my tics are on my left side. Really it's a non-issue though, just hits every now and then.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

You need to see your doctor to get a real diagnosis as the blepharospasm can have multiple, possible causes.

Google it and you'll get a lot of stuff, not all of which is very helpful or even very safe.

Like the commercial says, you don't want your doctor doing your job, so don't try and do theirs!!!

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Mine acts up if I am dehydrated, so when it starts up I drink more water. Oh and I also do bananas for the potassium.

1 members found this post helpful.

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Thank you everyone- very helpful!
    ~Living the life I imagined~

It can also be cause by allergies.