The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Young Adult Novels

Anyone with teenage girls want to tell me what's the next new popular novel?

My niece wants books for Christmas and I have no idea what's currently popular. She is a high school freshman if that helps with what might be suitable.

Thanks in advance!

Do you have a local library? I bet the librarians would know!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

1 members found this post helpful.

The Fault in Our Stars is wonderful.

A few other suggestions, from the Goodreads Reader's Choice YA category:
    http://www.goodreads.com/award/choic...-Adult-Fiction

The angel books, like Fallen. It's about "angels" on earth, and, of course, they protect and fall in love with teenage girls. Q to kid: WHY would an immortal being be interested in a teenage girl? Answer: Dunno. Q. What makes them an angel besides they have cool wings and powers?: Nothing.

The kids like them. There are also a lot of utopian/dystopian novels out there like the Ember series, Shadow children, uglies trilogy, matched series, The Giver . . .

http://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/young-adult

If she is alreadya reader, a gift certificate to good bookstore works better. It is hard to keep up with an avid reader.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    If she is alreadya reader, a gift certificate to good bookstore works better. It is hard to keep up with an avid reader.
    Good point, this was me as a teenager...
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

The "Divergent" series is great.
    "Wonder" is another good one.

Or like Lin mentioned, a gift certificate to a book store might be the way to go if she reads all the time. That way you won't have to worry about duplication.

"Divergent" is great... I actually liked "Fallen" and need to get the next one. "Belles" was also a fun read; I think I had an advance copy of it but it's probably out by now. The "Uglies" series has been popular but she's probably read those already. "Matched" also looked good and got good reviews from my friends (we all love YA) but I haven't read it yet. Loved "Scorpio Races" (she's also got the "Shiver" series). The "Wicked Lovely" series was fun; maybe a bit dark/risque for her age still though. "Luxe" series was fun but again maybe a little older. "The Vespertine" and "The Springsweet" were fun (again, can't remember if the second one is out yet because I had advance copy, but "Vespertine" is; language is more literary/challenging in those). M.T. Anderson (especially "Feed"--kind of a younger "Clockwork Orange"/"F-451" dystopian novel). Libba Bray ("A Great and Terrible Beauty" and sequels, and I think she has another series now that I haven't read yet)...

But I would ask her at least roundabout what she's read and what she likes, since as many pointed out, avid readers at that age go through books fast!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Yeah, I FLEW through books at that age. Ask her if she read & enjoyed the Hunger Games....then find out from her mom if she's read Divergent & Insurgent by Veronica Roth. They're brilliant and quite similar to The Hunger Games.

Does she have a Nook or Kindle? Maybe ask her parents how they feel about it and then teaming up with other relatives and getting her one of those.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I would recommend the Matched series mentioned upthread, written by Allyson Condie. We can't keep them on the shelves at our branch.

These aren't new, but I LOVED (and still do!) anything by Tamora Pierce or Robin McKinley. Both are mainly fantasy writers with strong female leads. Pierce has short series set in a kind of medieval world, McKinley mostly retells fairytales in a fresh way.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

not particular teenage or the next best thing, but if your kids like quirky humor and a but fantasy, I's recommend Terry Pratchett as author.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    The angel books, like Fallen. It's about "angels" on earth, and, of course, they protect and fall in love with teenage girls. Q to kid: WHY would an immortal being be interested in a teenage girl? Answer: Dunno. Q. What makes them an angel besides they have cool wings and powers?: Nothing.
    I read Fallen and I felt the same way. I spent the whole book going "ugh" However, I really enjoyed Cassandra Clare's "The Mortal Instruments" series...

Maggie Stiefvater's 'The raven Boys was also really enjoyable...

I definitely second Robin McKinely. Pegasus and Chalice were great and Dragonhaven is FREAKIN' AWESOME!!

Never would have thought someone would ever describe a baby dragon as "Squidgy" before, but it works!!! Loved it!
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

Great thread, now I am going to the library to pick some of these up. I also didn't realize GoodReads had an awards section (including past years), so that will be a good reference as well.
    Blugal

Wonderful.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

[QUOTE=Natalie A;6682492]The Fault in Our Stars is wonderful.

I HAVE to second this. Anything by John Green is amazing, but TFiOS is so, so good. It is gut wrenchingly sad but amazingly uplifting as well. Green does not just put words on a page and call it good- he is a very conscious writer with an almost philosophical style. Box sets of his books are available as well.

Seriously, even if you aren't a teen girl, read his books. Read them.
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

I also really liked Scorpio Races, although I find Maggie Stiefvater in general to be very hit or miss. She has a werewolf series that I could. NOT. finish but I flew through her faerie books.

I was unimpressed by the Divergent series. The writing isn't that great and I pretty much knew what was going to happen at every turn. If I'm going to read dystopian novels I'd prefer the "classics" (1984, Brave New World, Handmaid's Tale).
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I really didn't care for the Fallen novels. Divergent is really good. The "House of the Night' series is really popular in my school, especially for freshmen. Eon and Eona are really good, but they are also rather long. Tamora Pierce, Robin McKinley, and Anne McCaffrey aren't really "in" right now, but they are amazing and might be a good "outside of the box" choice for someone who likes fantasy. Scott Westerfields books might be better for more dystopian/steampunk. Uglies is dystopian and Leviathan is very steampunk.

Dytopian novels (Water, Hunger Games, Enclave) are in now as well as zombie fiction (ZSG, World War Z, Forest of Hands and Teeth, Ashes) and Supernatural Romance (anything on the shelf, Dearly Departed)
    Last edited by LightningHorse; Nov. 24, 2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: remembered title

I have no clue what is popular in YA these days but I would just give her an Amazon gift card.

Twilight, The Hunger Games, and anything by John Green is always good, but's hard to pick out a really good book for DN if don't tell us anything about her! Just get her a Barnes and Noble gift card.