The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Y'all have ruined T-Swift for me. I do like her music- it's great 'background noise' for when I'm puttering around the house.

I'm sure there are songs that I hate, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

1 members found this post helpful.

I think the only couple of recent songs that makes me scream and change the channel quick is Little Big Town's "Pontoon" (did they not -or did they?- look up the urban dictionary meaning of "motorboating" prior to writing it in the lyric?) and Kenny Chesney's "El Cerrito Place" (I picture a skipping record in my head that's how much it repeats itself on EVERYTHING).

Any Country songs that are "Guns, God, and/or 'Murica!" turn me off super quick. I can occasionally get over the incorrect use of verbs if the tune is catchy (eg, "yeah, I must've did what all my friends said...", Luke Bryan, "All My Friends").

Any song that repeats the same five notes of melody over and over drives me nuts too (unless it's electronica -- oddly I don't have issue with that). I also don't like it when I can't understand at least 50% of the lyrics without having to go look them up.

Anything by Celine Dion is like nails on a chalk board to me.

Anything by Neil Diamond makes me postal, seriously sociopathic -- the skating rink that I spent my winters going around in circles in as a kid did nothing but play the same Neil Diamond tape over and over...and over.

I suppose the benefit of having a car that will play music off of any device you can plug in via USB is that if the radio gets too annoying, you can always switch with a press of a button and a verbal request.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    I hate everything by Billy Joel, especially The Piano Man.
    I hate everything by Billy Joel except "The Piano Man"

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Speaking of famous singers who can't sing...

...I can not hear it if a piano is out of tune and I perceive "Cosette on Broadway quality" as pretty d*amn good, but EVEN I could tell that Taylor Swift was massively missing the notes on this performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kSbg4AHhQo

The JUUUuuuUUUuuUUliET gets me every time.

Is she actually just singing the same note over and over? Like, I am not perceiving anything other than generalized blaring.
    I can't hear anything in that video. Too many people singing at once.

Agree 100% that Taylor Swift is in the "only about average vocal skill/quality" group. I will dissent and say she's an ok songwriter... she's writing for the age group that listens to her and I think she does a decent job telling a story in a song. Yes, it's about angsty teenage breakup 90% of the time... but I don't think everything written has to be Candide to have value. For the genre she writes in, she does a nice/more sophisticated job. Especially the older stuff like "Tim McGraw," which really paints a vivid (albeit SAPPY) picture. But I agree, girlfriend can't really sing
    Last edited by vxf111; Nov. 26, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I am protecting myself with brain fart.

Whose the country western singer, contemporary of Kenny Rogers, thinner, pony tail... who does something that passed for singing and is not. Nasally accent, too.

The dude bites! And I'll never get over it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

American Pie and Hotel California. Blech! Way way way too overplayed.

2 members found this post helpful.

Uuughhhh I just remembered another hated song!! AC/DC dirty deeds done dirt cheap. I effing hate that song!! Mainly because there is a parody out there called dirt deeds done with sheep. I want to stab my ear drums with an ice pick, as well as every other AC/DC song. Except thunder struck.

Willie Nelson?

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I am protecting myself with brain fart.

Whose the country western singer, contemporary of Kenny Rogers, thinner, pony tail... who does something that passed for singing and is not. Nasally accent, too.

The dude bites! And I'll never get over it.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Anything and everything by Journey.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Popular music has gotten so bad, I keep the car radio tuned to Spa most of the time. Just.cannot.stand most of today's music - esp. rap, hip-hop, trance, electronic dance, and 99.9% of pop.

At a previous barn, the radio seemed to always be turned to an obnoxious "trance" station, or an equally annoying "pop" station. One song that really stood out as particularly infuriating was that stupid "Tonight's Going to be a Good Night" . I don't even know who the artist is and don't care, but that song always made me want to use the radio for target practice.

My all time most hated? "Ebony and Ivory". It makes me want to exhibit self-harming behaviors.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    Willie Nelson?
    Yes! That's the guy who talks and calls it singing. Thanks for hurting me.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Gasp! Willie Nelson! I love Willie Nelson!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VaqueroToro View Post
    I think the only couple of recent songs that makes me scream and change the channel quick is Little Big Town's "Pontoon" (did they not -or did they?- look up the urban dictionary meaning of "motorboating" prior to writing it in the lyric?)
    I HAAAAAAAATE that song... HATE!
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

I am SO grateful to be almost completely ignorant of pop culture sometimes. I have never actually heard a Bieber song all the way through, for example, and I have no idea who many of the acts mentioned in this thread are.

The only reason I even know of Bieber and Swift is because you can't get away from them. They are everywhere.

I'm about 99.9% certain I am not missing a thing. I never cared for sappy teen pop when I was a teen; why would I like it now? (It's the same reason I've never watched American Idol. I hate pop music, so why would I waste time on it)?

Heard one today and instantly thought of this thread:

Feliz Navidad

Makes me want to jam a screwdriver in my ears.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Gasp! Willie Nelson! I love Willie Nelson!!!
    'K, I challenge you to justify him. Give me his best shot. I'll try to open my mind.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    'K, I challenge you to justify him. Give me his best shot. I'll try to open my mind.
    I'll play. His songwriting is his saving grace. He wrote Crazy, Patsy Cline's first real hit (on both charts). He also wrote Blue Eyes Cryin in the Rain, Mommas, Don't Let Your Babies Grow up to be Cowboys and Seven Spanish Angels which he NEVER should have tackled vocally but left it to someone else. There are many more that can easily be added to the list, were I inclined to go google his writing hits.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    I'll play. His songwriting is his saving grace. He wrote Crazy, Patsy Cline's first real hit (on both charts). He also wrote Blue Eyes Cryin in the Rain, Mommas, Don't Let Your Babies Grow up to be Cowboys and Seven Spanish Angels which he NEVER should have tackled vocally but left it to someone else. There are many more that can easily be added to the list, were I inclined to go google his writing hits.
    Fair enough. I'll give you some quality song writing.

But Nelson himself singing "You were always on my mind...."?

WTF? How.... even.... did that happen, let alone a bunch of other people from sound engineers to record label execs all saying "yup, put that out there"?

I want to die, as any self-respecting auditor would.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I do agree that he cannot sing and should leave the singing to others.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles