The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    Has anyone nominated Julio Iglesias' "Hero"?

Just nauseating on every level. The disgustingly sappy lyrics, the way Iglesias sort of half-talks/half sings parts of it. Absolutely dreadful.

Go ahead, have a listen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koJlIGDImiU
    And as long as we're talking Julio or Enrique, I'd like to throw "Tonight I'm Loving You" (or whatever the title is) into the mix. Blech.
    Last edited by see u at x; Nov. 26, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Somebody just gave me a Thumbs down for Psy and his Gagnam style song (!) (sp) - is there anybody out there who likes that and is not sick of it! D)
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by drawstraws View Post
    Anything by Taylor Swift.
    YES. And they all sound alike. When her last cd came out (a couple years ago?) there were all these ads on television: "Taylor Swift like you've never heard her before" and the songs sounded EXACTLY like her earlier ones. It was the same music.

Somebody recently on tv did a collection of clips of her talking about how she writes from "experience" and it was around 6 clips in a row of her introducing songs based on breaking up with a boyfriend. NOTHING else in that little head, is there?

Then recently I saw an ad again: "Taylor Swift like you've never heard her before." Nope. You heard one, you heard 'em all.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    Has anyone nominated Julio Iglesias' "Hero"?

Just nauseating on every level. The disgustingly sappy lyrics, the way Iglesias sort of half-talks/half sings parts of it. Absolutely dreadful.

Go ahead, have a listen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koJlIGDImiU
    You're thinking of Enrique.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    You're thinking of Enrique.
    D'OH. And duh. Yes, ENRIQUE--thank you!!!
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    Anything at all by Green Day
    Ugh. The thing is, I might actually like a lot of their stuff except the singer always sounds as if he's got a serious snotload of sinus congestion. "Wagge be ub whed Sebtebber edds". Drives me round the bend.

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    Your mother should listen to Maria Muldaur now - she is doing some great blues.
    That was/is my momma's criterion for good music. Having grown up an upper-middle class white girl in Southern California, she spent her formative years recanting/finding her blackness.

Oh and the song she said sent her there? "How much is that doggie in the window."
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

The mention of Iglesias just made me remember one of my all time not-favorites - "To all the girls I've loved before" he sang with Willie Nelson - makes me want to projectile vomit! As if...

Anything by Taylor Swift. I have yet to figure out why anyone over the age of 12 likes her. She can't carry a tune and her songwriting sucks (for the life of me, I can't figure out how talking "slow" is going to keep his mama from hearing them. "Low", maybe. Slow isn't going to do you any good). And if I have to hear one more time how she uses her own life to write her songs I'm going to barf. As if no one else in history has ever done that? I would rather listen to a commercial, or even static, before listening to any one of her songs.
    This. I read a review somewhere that called her only fit to *sing* (I use that term loosely, as she can't carry a tune & has no voice at all) to the "training-bra-preteen-female set."

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    WAT?!

I can't even.
    I need to leave the thread now.

Please tell me you are stuck on Dookie and have never heard American Idiot.
    See, I loved Dookie when it came out but am not as much of a fan of the more recent stuff... still good though.

Boosma, please tell me you weren't being sarcastic about GnR. Love them!

Hotel California makes me want to die...
    Quarry Rat

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    See, I loved Dookie when it came out but am not as much of a fan of the more recent stuff... still good though.

Boosma, please tell me you weren't being sarcastic about GnR. Love them!
    GnR has some fabulous musicians when they aren't behaving like tools. Unfortunately, Axl Rose (who could be King of The Tools), sounds like Eric Cartman when he sings. I think Cartman has better manners, though.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

GnR was awesome until they got rich and famous!!!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

At the wedding of one of my college friends her aunt and uncle broke out a boom box and sang Karaoke to "Morning Has Broken" during the ceremony.

It was unlike anything I have ever seen or heard - I now experience an attack of PTSD anytime I hear that song.

I saw a telethon for children with disabilities. Katy Perry performed Firework along with a little 7 year old girl with autism who sang and played the paino. The girl as clearly untrained (cute as heck!) and played and sang about as well as a musically inclined but not incredibly gifted (Cosette on Boradway quality) child would be expected to sing at that age. The little girl sang circles around Katy Perry who was really off/flat the entire time. You could see the audience squirming. Katy Perry may be a cool girl and a talented songwriter but not everyone's got pipes and she's got a VERY average voice. Made even more average when heard withou all the benefit of what they can do on a record/in the studio to "fix" things.

Said by someone who's all time favorite artist is a hard rocking chick who plays the guitar like crazy but isn't necessarily a gifted vocalist (Liz Phair) but at least she acknowledges it!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Said by someone who's all time favorite artist is a hard rocking chick who plays the guitar like crazy but isn't necessarily a gifted vocalist (Liz Phair) but at least she acknowledges it!
    I once considered getting WHPSMRT for my Virginia license plate.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I saw a telethon for children with disabilities. Katy Perry performed Firework along with a little 7 year old girl with autism who sang and played the paino. The girl as clearly untrained (cute as heck!) and played and sang about as well as a musically inclined but not incredibly gifted (Cosette on Boradway quality) child would be expected to sing at that age. The little girl sang circles around Katy Perry who was really off/flat the entire time. You could see the audience squirming. Katy Perry may be a cool girl and a talented songwriter but not everyone's got pipes and she's got a VERY average voice. Made even more average when heard withou all the benefit of what they can do on a record/in the studio to "fix" things.

Speaking of famous singers who can't sing...

...I can not hear it if a piano is out of tune and I perceive "Cosette on Broadway quality" as pretty d*amn good, but EVEN I could tell that Taylor Swift was massively missing the notes on this performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kSbg4AHhQo

The JUUUuuuUUUuuUUliET gets me every time.

Is she actually just singing the same note over and over? Like, I am not perceiving anything other than generalized blaring.

Cannot stand anything by Justin Bieber......and don't even get me started on how much like Vanilla Ice he looks! Just waiting for him to start singing "Ice, Ice, Baby"!!

And I'd like to add that new song by Rhianna to my hate list (Diamond?).......just awful!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

oh, and let me add that song about "getting his whistle blown"...............I am old, when did that term come into use? and why am I subjected to it on the radio! Good Lord, I remember when "Frankie was telling us to Relax" and THAT got everyone up in arms!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Oh thank you SO much for mentioning Liz Phair! My music of the old variety (vinyl, cassettes and even some CDs) is largely in storage, and I am replacing it through iTunes little by little. I don't know how she slipped my mind but I'll have a lot of fun in the very near future!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?