The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Annnnd this is why I ride horses.

As an adult there have been times when I've thought gosh I am too busy, too tired, too broke to keep doing the horse thing.

Then stuff like this happens and I remember why I do this... and really I think this is the sole reason, for me at least. Because at the barn, or on a horse, I don't ever think about how messed up the world is. I get an hour of peace where I don't think about Anything At All. Escapism, perhaps.

And frankly horses aren't such a bad habit, they kept me out of trouble, as I am sure they did for a lot of people.

We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

21 members found this post helpful.

yep.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ditto.

Yup. I get so enraged at the awful inhumanity of humans so often, but my animals always make me feel better.

Yes yes and yes. All we have is now, and that NOW with my horse, for me, is some of the best "present" time there is.

Yep!

Well said.

Yup, what arbitrary said.

I've always wondered if it's the level of concentration required to ride, or the type of concentration (body coordination) that makes riding such a black hole of thought for me (in a good way), but whatever it is, you're so right. I'm a constant worrier that completely forgets about my problems while riding, to the point that I feel like I'm slowly coming out of a dream-like state on my way home as my problems come back one by one.

3 members found this post helpful.

I wasn't having the best day of rides with my Thoroughbreds...they just weren't getting it. And so I went into the house afterwards feeling pretty glum and turned on the computer. I am pretty damn lucky. The biggest complaint I had all day was a couple of horses that didn't want to cooperate. I don't have to think about burying my child.

Yes. Every month or so I have an existential riding crisis and wonder why I do something that I am rather untalented at and costs a ridiculous amount of money. Then I have an amazing lesson like I did today after the tragedy where I got the hang of a new horse I'm riding... and it makes me absurdly happy and I know I can never not ride as long as I can.

Yep. My worst day at the barn is better than the best day for some people.

Yes.
    I think it's the concentration (the whole mind-body aspect) and the trust/cooperation/communication with an animal. It becomes almost transcendent. No, it IS transcendent. That level of trust and almost one-ness is something that's very difficult to find in our human lives.
    Ok, that came across as very spiritual. But in some ways, I guess it can be. (And I try to avoid admitting to anything even remotely spiritual in nature!)
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Yes - I think that when I'm riding it is the only time when I'm 100% focused on what I am doing at that moment - I'm not thinking about my to-do list, I'm not thinking about various issues going on, I'm not thinking about anything except riding. It is a wonderful escape!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I couldn't say it better myself. I thought I was having a rough week at a work (and I'm a teacher!) and then this news comes out to put it all in perspective.

I had to ride tonight. Like many days, it was my hour of forgetting everything else that was going on and just focusing on me and my horse and enjoying our time. I had so much fun with tonight's ride and I am so thankful for that little escape. I feel so horribly for those families and that community who have so much more to think about.

I had the same thought this evening. I was distracted and upset all day about what happened. After work I went to the barn, had a pleasant chat with one of the other boarders and then got on and had a really challenging (in a good way) and productive ride. Other boarder left and I was alone when I got done. I brushed my boy while I listened to the horsey noises from all of the other horses, then fed him carrots and got some snuggles. It was just so zen-like and I finally felt centered for the first time today.

Then I came home and took care of the old man and the yearling. Old man gave me some loves and the yearling acted like his goofy baby self and just put a big smile on my face.

It's good to have such fantastic therapists on a day like today.

Sometimes I wonder if horses and riding are self-indulgent, and silly... and then I wonder if I'd be an addict or have anger issues or just generally be miserable, if I didn't have this outlet. Truly, it is a "black hole" as another poster said.... in the best possible way. In real life I pretend I am all laid back and chill but on the inside I am a ball of stress. The barn and riding is the ONLY time I am able to "switch off."
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

2 members found this post helpful.