The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shackleford goes out a Winner!

So very pleased for this tough colt who unlike many others raced his 4yr. old year and finished sound. He may not have been a explosive runner but there was denying he was tough to get by when leading in the stretch. I was pleased also that Casttelano(sorry if mis-spelled) rode him in his last race-IMO he rode him better than anyone else by getting him out of the gate up front and letting him be in the lead and relax.

As I stated before in another thread if I had a mare this would be the stallion I would breed to if for no other reason his record of 20 starts and finishing his career sound!!!!

Good luck Shack in your new stallion career-hopefully your progeny will get your guttiness in the stretch and your sound body. And thank-you for some great racing memories.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-Hunter S. Thompson

2 members found this post helpful.

I really like him, and hope he has a fabulous career at stud. Gritty, sound, a winner, and attractive. He has alot in one package.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have followed this horse from his early days as well, and am glad he went out a winner. Loved to see that big white blaze come thrundering down the homestretch.

For those who didn't see his final run ...

Video - 138th running of the Grade 1, $447,000 Clark Handicap

Some quotes from trainer Dale Romans ...

“That’s the way he’s supposed to leave,” Dale Romans said. “That’s Shack at his best. That’s how we expected him to run in the Breeders’ Cup and it wasn’t his fault that he stumbled.”

Romans chose to keep Shackleford at home for his finale in the Clark rather than ship to New York for the Cigar Mile at Aqueduct and the Louisville native was also nostalgic following Friday’s win.

“It’s the end of an era for my stable,” Romans said. “He took my career to a new level. He made my resume totally different than it was before he came into the barn. I owe him a lot.”
    Dale should be the Eclipse trainer of the year but we'll see ...

He always seemed to be the Rodney Dangerfield of his class. But he showed up for so many races, and was always somewhere close at the end. Found this replay over the weekend, and had a lump in my throat seeing the result. So happy for him to be across the line first for his last race.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Thanks for posting the clip Glimmer. It gave me chills. I, too, have followed the gorgeous, strapping chestnut with the big blaze. Bravo to a job well done all around! I was also impressed with how well he galloped out.