The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Freelancers - what do you do about health insurance?

Just before Thanksgiving I was (very unexpectedly) laid off from my job. It was an office position I loved, and was very successful at. I've been desperately searching for a full time receptionist/secretarial position, but there are very few places hiring right now.

I've always been doing a bit of freelance writing on the side, but that's built up in the last few months and is currently at the point where it might be feasible for me to be able to compensate with it for only working a part-time, 30-hour position, if I can find one. I think I can probably find part-time work more easily than I can find something full-time right now.

But, the issue here (besides the stress of needing to continue to build up freelance work and relying on something fairly unstable for income) is the fact that I would need health insurance. I live in MA. I know some places, like Starbucks, offer insurance for PT employees, but the nearest Starbucks is an hour away!

So, for you freelancers, what do you do for health insurance? How do you get by? This isn't an ideal option for me, as I'd very much prefer full time work with benefits, but things are so financially tight right now, I feel like I need to do whatever I can to improve this situation ASAP!

I would look into your local Chamber of Business and Commerce. They often have small business group buying discounts for health insurance!

Best of luck!

I'm in CT, self-employed as a writer, and use Anthem (Blue Cross Blue Shield). It's a high deductible plan, but I pay less than $200 per month and get the benefit of their negotiated rates with health providers.

For what it's worth, your mileage may vary, etc.
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

Dupe post. Sorry!
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

You might see if group health is available in your state. Their catastrophic coverage is pretty reasonable. And as the idiot that recently fell off a stack of hay I am so thankful I have it

Your state farm bureau may have a good option. You will have to pay a $25 membership fee for the farm bureau but the coverage is usually very reasonable.

I get my insurance this way, and I have to say that I really, really like the service I get. I know the people in the office, whoever answers the phone or email actually knows who I am, and I'm always happy to refer friends to them. I was amazed that personal service actually still exists in this particular industry.

https://www.mahealthconnector.org/portal/site/connector

^^ That's the Commonwealth Health Insurance Connector. You ought to be able to find something that works for you.

Default Freelancers Union

May not be available in your area, but the Freelancers Union has a health insurance plan and even it's own medical clinic-
    https://be.freelancersunion.org/bene...ncers-medical/
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'll look into all options!