The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I like Foxtrot's idea the absolute best!

I had to sell one. I kept the hottest one of the two, iow the hardest one to ride or rather for somebody else to ride. Sold the better one, more quiet one. I figured the hottest one had less of a chance to get the best home, and he was not as desirable as the other one. I loved both equally.

I think the trainer should buy the horse she likes so much that she doesn't want you to sell, you should sell the one you don't look forward to seeing, and keep the one that makes you smile even though, right now, you aren't on the same page discipline wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    These days - and I speak from experience - put them all up for offers and see what is left. You will probably get to love whichever one it is given that it will get more of your time and energy.
    Unless its the punk, he needs to be w/ trainer. Hes good @ what he does but I want to do something else now. So totally retrain him & hope he goes along or let him to for higher $$.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    I think the trainer should buy the horse she likes so much that she doesn't want you to sell, you should sell the one you don't look forward to seeing, and keep the one that makes you smile even though, right now, you aren't on the same page discipline wise.
    Im gona see how the one that makes me smile does in what I want to do, then I just might.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    Keep the little buckskin one that can't be caught, rolls her eyes when you hug her, and you can't imagine life without her.
    I have geldinggs but
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

This is tough. Ive been there. I had 5 ponies -- all equally capable, all perfect, all my best pals. Two of the top horses went fast. I was left with my 3 favorites -- I toiled each day over such a decision.

I marketed them all, decided to let fate handle this one. One day a man called; he was buying his fiance a horse for their engagement. They came and looked, she fell in love and then he said...if you have a horse I can ride, and I cant ride Ill look. I knew my heart horse would do.
    Now, yes, I cried after they trailered out -- but.... with a magic wand I could not have created a more perfect home for these guys; and they were together.

the one left, ah, no one ever looked twice at him, -- hes a grandson of Seattle Slew, son of Doneraile Court, handled a bit hard at the track -- but -- there he was .. mine. It turns out, hes perfect for me, although *I* didnt know it then, I know it now.

Now, you said there was *something* different you wanted to do/riding ... if thats so, Id sell all 3 and buy one doing exactly what you want -- stop the training phases, and ride, enjoy yourself. I was lucky; mine IS perfect for my new riding discipline, but, I was also willing to take my own advice if I found otherwise.

Keep us posted how this works out.
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

How cool, 5 down to 1 good horse, wow. If there was a horse that rides western & english & did trails & had a personality I would by it or keep it.

You could always lease another specialty horse on an as needed basis. Also, if you have such a great trainer, she will find you a good lesson horse to ride/free lease.

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

JohnDeere --- Many horses can do that! Mine does -- he still ponies in a western saddle, does distance trail rides in either westen/or my endurance, hunts in a steubben, events low-level at this time, jumper classes and.................gives beginner lessons.
    Did he come this way? not really, he had the basics -- sound temperment, willing attitude, somewhat submissive thought patterns (at least willing to try/fail/try again).

Look at horses that have those basics --ones you can just tack and ride, that have a soft rein and leg response, have solid stable manners, and some trail experience (the non-spook, tie, trailer, water friendly, any field position ok-type). ANY horse can jump and learn the rest. Im not advertising, but look at track ponies, ranch horses, camp horses, (example: gettysburg park has a *livery* that occassionally offers for sale).
    You'll also find in those stable, horses of talent -- rather than based on breed or color. My 5 track ponies were all different breeds, a spotted saddle horse for night work, a paint, a tw/qh, a full qh, an app, --then the tb retrains. A family of 5 bought the SSH, adorable loving grandparents bought the paint(yea, said for the grandkids, not!) the tw/qh to a distance rider, and the pr qh& app to the newlyweds. Of the 2 tb's, the mare went to a show home and I have the gelding.

The prequisite for any track pony was: 1. the tack had to fit everyone/ I was too busy to change anything 2. they HAD to be comfortable/ 4hrs/20+miles a day on 4 different horses absolutely required that! 3. had to have the basic stop, turn, light mouth, light leg 4. had to tie for tack&go (warm up was in the work, no time for any morning antics!) simple. oh yes, they had to be friendly to the tb--- no kicking, biting, snarking ..<g> so I usually took along a horse when I tried a new one -- one little ear flick, >next! thats something inherent in a horse, I believe, you really cant change.

Morning were a bit crazy -- imagine 4 tied along the wall, mounting one, then grabbing 2 to my right and one on my left ; then riding over to the track .. then tying to the different barns for changeovers. each shnk had a double clip, wall had an eye hook. Now, at first, it was rather comical with horses gettng tangled, turning, giving me the *dah* look, but they learn, and quickly enough -- do the same thing, the same way, each day.

Trust this statement, proven over my lifetime of training and selling horses -- "the right buyer always comes along".
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

Quote Originally Posted by SanJacMonument View Post
    You could always lease another specialty horse on an as needed basis. Also, if you have such a great trainer, she will find you a good lesson horse to ride/free lease.
    Somehow areound here you dont lease much unless its just a plod around horse, then theres a million. With sales in the dump ster, leases should be something that would work. There is a lesson horse I would maybe look @ lease for but Im stuck in same riding that Ive done for years, no trail riding or cows with this one.

bsf the horse with best basics is the deadhead who has a QH tude, the one willing to submit plays warhorse on the trails I found out today, maybe with time he will get betr. Plus hes really gonna be the easiest to sell, people are always looking for a horse that thinks and has an auto transmisson @ least while inside!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    ...If I sell 1 a trainer will be mad cause she LOFFs him. He does what I ask but I just dont feel anything from or for him. No personalty. New style of riding for me to.
    ^ This is the one you sell - try selling him to the tyrainer that loves him for a WIN-WIN !
    Sandy in Fla.

Update

The one i thought would be hardest is allmost sold, just need the $, if the people dont take him there trainer will. Now Ive gotta decide between the soldier with no personalty or the try hard boy who needs a new job. This is gona be harder. Im leaning toward the soldier becuase hes already ready and I know what he can do with him. Plus the try hard is hope less on trails.