The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Have to downsize, which horse to keep?

Need advice from those that have done it. When you must get rif of 2 out of 3 horses how can you decide which one to keep? Ive thought about adverts for all 3 & see which 2 sell first then keep the other.

I could tell yall what each one is/is good for but would that help me decide? All have good value tho arent $$. Npne are old crippled or mean.

What do you think about when selling?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Which one brings the biggest smile to your face when you think about him??? When you only have time to ride one horse, which one do you choose?? When you go to the pasture gate to get #2 or #3 and they walk away leaving #1 at the gate are you pleased or disappointed??? You will know deep inside which one to keep!! It's just a matter of wether you decide with your heart or your pocketbook. JMO. Good Luck.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

5 members found this post helpful.

I think advertising them all and waiting to see who is left when the first two sell is a good idea. Assuming, of course, that you are equally attached to all three.
    Sheilah

Wow tough decision. One of them must be just a little more special to you than the other two.

I would say it depends on how quickly you need to downsize. If you really need to downsize as soon as possible then I would say list all three and see which two go first. If you are not in a hurry then really sit down with an honest idea of what constraints you have on time....resources etc. and if any of these horses fit better into those constraints. I think it is a mix of what horse makes you happiest but also which horse you can make the happiest with your situation.

we are going thru the same type of scenario........ after much discussion, we decided to keep my husband's heart horse. have son's GF getting him going thru the winter so when hubby is feeling better he'll have something to ride.

so we decided with our hearts.....

What do you do with your horses? Which one is the youngest, best suited to your needs? That's the one you keep.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Good ideas all. *gabby* thats so sweet. Hope your DH feels better soon.
    As usual people make it harder to decidee. 2 trainers 2 different barns and 2-3 different riding style for 3 horses, I did this to myself.

If I sell 1 a trainer will be mad cause she LOFFs him. He does what I ask but I just dont feel anything from or for him. No personalty. New style of riding for me to.
    The one that I am sad to find at the pasture gate *crosscreeksh* lol is the 1 another trainer wants me to keep. Hes a cross between Tom Saywer & the kid who steals your lunch $ but hes got a ton of personalty.
    The 1 I want deep down to keep *dare1* isnt good at what hes trained for, needs to do something else that I dont know much about. I would keep him in training for awhile and maybe move him for that. He tries so hard to dowhat you want every ride, I like that.

*Houdini* I hadnt thouhgt about what horse I can make happy. *g* I dont have 1 horse that fits all your questions? The 1 horse that I dont have to change is the 1 I dont feel for, the 1 that is young I would want to add something else to what he does, the 1 that I like needs totally changed.

Im screwed.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

lol. So I was no help at all.
    Glad I only have one and she is a keeper.

I chose the one with the lowest cost of upkeep, My TB that I loved and showed needed expensive supplements and lots of feed, my TWH was fat on air. Although she wasn't the one I wanted to keep per-say I think she was the best choice, I've bonded with her so much and I love love love the way she whinny's and runnnns to the gate to see me now I've become more finically secure and now have a 2nd horse again but If i ever have to choose again I think the TWH will win again

I didn't read the other posts on purpose as I wanted to give you my thought process.

When I had to cut down, I elected to sell/rehome (ended up rehoming due to time issue) my most competitive and athletic and young horse and keeping my older horse. She's not a retiree, but she's not the most athletic. Funny, I was offered a lot for her as a lesson horse but I wanted to keep one and I elected to keep the one I knew had less time and less options.

My athletic mare found a great home via my trainer with a young lady getting her feet under her in the horse world.

That's how I made my choice.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Sell all 3 and buy one that fits all your need/wants/loves
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    *g* I dont have 1 horse that fits all your questions? The 1 horse that I dont have to change is the 1 I dont feel for, the 1 that is young I would want to add something else to what he does, the 1 that I like needs totally changed.

Im screwed.
    No you're not.

I said "Which one is the youngest, best suited to your needs?" This is going to require you to make intelligent compromises. That's not "being screwed." It's being an adult. Sometimes it's what makes being an adult such a damned awful business!!!

The world has three, and only three, categories of stuff in it: the need to have; the nice to have; and the superfluous. You get to put your needs, wants, and desires into the proper category and them make your choice. No one else can do it for you.

So, get out your yellow pad and start writing. Them make your choice.

Simple. Yes?!?!?!

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

JD:
    IIWM, I would most definitely not keep a horse based on any trainer's desire for me to keep.

Keep the one that makes you happy, no matter what level of training that horse may be at.
    Unless you have Olympic hopes (and the bankroll to match), there is no reason not to keep the horse that makes you happiest.

Trainer(s) will have to adapt to that, not the other way 'round.
    Last edited by 2DogsFarm; Nov. 24, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    Sell all 3 and buy one that fits all your need/wants/loves
    I did think about doing this, I have found out that you have to own a horse for awhile to find what he/she is like. With Dobbin it took year+ before we were together, I havent had the easy horse a year yet. So maybe I havent given him a whole chance?

I think to much. *G* I agree being adlut is a bad business!

When your trainers start paying YOU to train the horses THEY like, only then does their opinion count. You keep either a) which ever one doesn't sell or b) the one you feel connected with. I love all my dogs, but I know which ones I'd let go if the opportunity arose, and which ones you will have to pry their leashes from my cold dead hands.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    When your trainers start paying YOU to train the horses THEY like, only then does their opinion count.
    Round here trainers collect to train horses they like, collect to sell horses they dont like, collect to buy horses they like, collect to show horses they told you to bye but cant ride because they arent ready yet, Im not really kidding though none my trainers do all these.

BTW I can handle all the heat but it wont be easy These people are friends m/l & they are pros @ what they do, I asked for help so I get thoughts.

Keep the little buckskin one that can't be caught, rolls her eyes when you hug her, and you can't imagine life without her.

At least, that's what I would do.

1 members found this post helpful.

Keep the one that tries every time you ride her. You can train a horse, but it's very difficult to change a horse's attitude.

2 members found this post helpful.

These days - and I speak from experience - put them all up for offers and see what is left. You will probably get to love whichever one it is given that it will get more of your time and energy.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

1 members found this post helpful.