The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Default How much snow??

I am new to living where it snows. How much snow does it take to require shoveliing?? And what can you use when you forgot to get a snow brush yet?? We are supposed to get 3-6 inches tonight.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Sleeve of a waterproof jacket works well for a snow brush!! I don't shovel if it's less than 4" but I'm super lazy.

SC girls in snowy climates is definitely a change!!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

In addition to a jacket as a snow brush, if you have to scrape car windows and don't have (or can't find) your window scraper, a credit card or similar card works very well; just make sure you wear mittens or gloves

1 members found this post helpful.

Honey, just become one with the snow and your equipment. The snow will tell you the right tool for the job.

Let me add, however, that you want to think about temps as you decide when to clear off some virgin asphalt.

Leave the snow on it if the temps will rise enough to melt what's left and then fall again. No point in creating ice... for more snow to fall upon. That's the worst.

If, OTOH, temps will rise for long enough to melt the little bit that's left after you clear the snow, do it to allow the sun to restore the virtue of the asphalt beneath.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't know.. you have better traction in the snow than on an icy surface that you shoveled the day before. We've usually done ok with just stomping out footpaths and not doing a ton of shoveling.

Yes, tuck your hand in your sleeve and make like a windshield wiper. The broom from the house also works well. and credit cards and CD cases make good window scrapers. And in real dire straits you can run your windshield wiper fluid all on your windshield while the wipers run 100 mph to defrost it when you have no time!

As the other poster said, if the next days and nights will be warm, you don't have to shovel. These are usually freak storms, the weather is cold on the snow day only. But if it's been freezing for a long time and will be freezing for a long time after, then you haul butt and shovel, because that snow will be there a long time and you can end up with 6 solid inches of ice, as the snow melts and refreezes through the days and nights.
    In the middle of Feb, when ice is inevitable, you can take boughs from your cut up Xmas tree and a pot of hot water and "melt" the boughs into the ice. They will freeze solidly into the ice and provide you with a path of pine branches to walk on. The protruding needles and little branches provide good traction.
    Oh, snow must be shoveled immediately off any flat structures that can't support the weight of it. You do this in the middle of the storm if necessary.
    That said be careful when clearing A-frame barn roofs as the weight of snow is distributed evenly and while clearing it off the roof can cause it to collapse(weight unevenly distributed) but this is a rare storm that dumps that much.

I just never take the snow brush (actually multiple snow brushes, as I have certain ones I prefer for certain kinds of ice/snow) out of my car. I live in Buffalo.

Supposedly spraying the windows with vinegar beforehand will prevent them from icing over. Haven't actually tried this though.

I refuse to shovel snow that's less than about 1 foot deep. Just a waste of energy/time, IMO.

Deeper than that, I'll do around doorways, maybe a path here or there, but mostly just trample it down and wait 'till it melts

That said, I live in a fairly snowy area, in the country, drive a 4wd pickup, and live in my carhartts. The driveway gets plowed, the roads get plowed, but I just plain 'ol hate shoveling stuff that's just going to melt on its own eventually.

Yeah, for smaller snowfalls (less than 1' or so) I just go out with muck boots and tromp down a path by walking sideways. (:

Although in the city, they're pretty strict about shoveling sidewalks, so I do have to at least keep that clear.

I like a broom for clearing paths when there's not much snow. It doesn't get everything and leaves a nice kind of corrugated pathway for traction if what is left on the ground freezes. Like SarahandSam, I suggest just never taking the snowbrush out of the car. That way, you're never caught without.

Oh, and if you put down salt and have dogs or outdoor cats, make sure you get the kind that won't burn their feet. It's more expensive, but well worth the cost.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

As a pedestrian on urban sidewalks, I find it EXTREMELY rude when the neighbors don't shovel, despite the Town ordinance to clear it within 24 hours, regardless of depth. Trying to avoid falling on that property (snow packs down and becomes solid ice until the sun melts it off) usually requires me to walk in the street. Always "fun" to play frogger on the way to work because someone is too lazy or cheap (owners of commercial/office rentals) to shovel. The Town knows and won't enforce the ordinance (stupid, IMO, since there are fine$ they could collect for non-compliance, but they're askeert to be seen as unfriendly to businesses )

I grew up in Wisconsin where we're practically born with shovels in-hand, so this "leave it alone, that stuff causes heart attacks " mentality of Northern Virginia completely flummoxes me.

Of course, if you're out in the country and don't have to worry about pedestrians falling (insurance claims) on your property, you can do what you like

Something to keep in mind for icy patches is Ice Melt. They have stuff that's safe for lawns, pet paws & carpets. You can also mix it with sand to give traction. I had to do that on my sidewalk in WI. The snowbank would melt during the day and build up a lovely patch of black ice as soon as the sun went down.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

1 members found this post helpful.

It depends. We don't get much snow here, and I don't have public sidewalks, so I brush snow off the back door sidewalk so it doesn't turn to ice. That's it. Anyone who comes to see us uses the back door, we all have 4 wheel drive, so we just drive on it. A neighbor plows our road (private).

Now, back in Baltimore, I lived in a townhouse. We had to shovel the walks or face a county fine (and again, if you left it and someone walked on it, it could turn to ice) had to shovel out the cars because the snow plow would plow you in.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Thankfully I live in the country, but I have zero experience with snow and since it never actually snowed last year....well, I doubt that is going to happen again!!
    carolprudm

It's always good to keep a shovel handy, even in the trunk of your car.

I tend to shovel even if there is just an inch or two.

Be careful of ice... especially black ice... that stuff can be nasty!

I forgot you were not up here last year..... hopefully you are all outfitted with good snow wear/gear?
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Whatever you do, don't you ever trust ice.
    You can't believe how, faster than your body can feel it, you can slip.
    Ice is extremely hard to hit on whatever body part hits first.

"If in doubt, don't walk on it."

They sell little plastic car brooms with a little pan.
    Those are great for scraping ice off, both of them, the pan to scrape and broom to brush.

Haha, woke up to a winter wonderland this morning! Not enough to shovel, but it sure is pretty!
    carolprudm

It's been a winter wonderland here for a month now. Spent 3 hours moving snow yesterday so I could get out this morning and some new stuff blew in to replace it. I am STILL stuck behind a 2' rock hard drift right under the bumper of my truck; these are conditions where a 4X4 means nothing. If that miserable, cold wind dies down, will have to shovel that mess out. Temo is around 0°F and windchill is much more.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Default DIARY OF A SNOW SHOVELER

December 8 - 6:00 PM

It started snowing. The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our cocktail drinks and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses Print. So romantic we felt like newlyweds again. We love snow!

December 9

We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the whole world? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had! Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a little boy again. I cleared both our driveway and the sidewalks. This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life!

December 12

The sun has melted all our lovely snow... Such a disappointment! My neighbor tells me not to worry - we'll definitely have a White Christmas.

No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again. I don't think that's possible. However, Bob is such a nice man, I'm glad he's our neighbor.

December 13

Snow, lovely snow! 8 inches last night. The temperature dropped to -20F. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again.. I didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way. I wish I wouldn't huff and puff so.

December 15

20 inches forecast for today. I sold my van and bought a 4x4 Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2 extra shovels. We stocked the freezer. The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's extravagant. We aren't in Alaska, after all.

December 16

Ice storm this morning. Fell on my butt on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. The wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.

December 17

Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere.

Today the electricity was off for 4 hours. We had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her. Gee I hate it when she's right. I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20

Yippee the electricity's back on, but we had another 14 inches of the damn stuff last night. More shoveling! Took all day. The damn snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they're lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he's lying.

December 22

Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white stuff fell today, and it's so cold, it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to go to the loo. By the time I got undressed, and dressed again, I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter, but he says he's too busy. I think the a$$h*le is lying.

December 23

Only 2 inches of snow today. And it warmed up to zero. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What is she, nuts?!! Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think she's lying.

December 24

6 inches fell, but the snow was packed so hard by the snowplow, I broke my shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the son-of-a-bitch who drives that snowplow, I'll drag him through the snow by his hair and beat him to death with my broken shovel. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was too busy watching for the damn snowplow.

December 25 - Christmas Day

Merry Christmas! 20 more inches of the damn slop tonight - Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. God, I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a bad attitude. I think she's a real idiot. If I have to watch "It's A Wonderful Life" one more time, I'm going to stuff her into the microwave.

December 26

Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.

December 27

Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze; plumber came after 14 hours of waiting for him, he only charged me $1,750 to replace 4 of my pipes.

December 28

Warmed up to above -20. Still snowed in. The BITCH is driving me crazy!!!

December 29

10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30

Roof caved in. I beat up the snowplow driver, and now he is suing me for a million dollars, not only the beating I gave him, but also for trying to shove the broken snow shovel up his a$$. The wife went home to her mother. Nine more inches predicted.

December 31

I set fire to what's left of the house. No more shoveling.

January 8

Feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed??

3 members found this post helpful.

HighFlyinBey-I love that one. And after the third huge storm in a year, I felt like that too.

When I lived in Colorado I found it easiest to use the big push broom or scoot a few inches with the ergonomically correct snowshovel. They also make electric snow blower shovels that do a few inches very well. And I bought my best snow scraper ever at the grocery store.

MR-keep a good emergency kit in the car with a blanket or sleeping bag, snow shovel (they make emergency ones that come in sections and click together), and kitty litter or sand for traction. And if you get stuck call 911 first for help. I know that sounds stupid, but I've heard of people that got stuck, called some friends to warn them about the roads, and were trapped in their car with a dead phone and couldn't call 911 for rescue, and I bet you guess what happened next.

Never let your gas tank get below half either. You never know when you'll get in a traffic jam during snow, and take forever to get out of it. And if you go out today and scrape (push the shovel, don't lift with it) some swatches in the driveway and walk it will melt off quickly from the darker color of the sidewalk or drive.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

It never fails to make me laugh, especially after surviving the winter of Snowpocalypse, Snowmageddon & Snoverkill.

I keep a shovel next to my dryer. My scrapers live in my car year-round.

It's a good idea to invest in a pair of Yaktrax as well: https://www.yaktrax.com/product/pro

A couple years ago, we had an ice storm. I was happily walking on the icy sidewalk when a woman called out to me, "Be careful on the ice!!" Had she not been horrified, I would have answered, "It's OK. I'm from Wisconsin. We learn to walk on this stuff as babies." Instead, I pointed out my Yaktrax. I keep them in my purse when there's any chance of an icy walk to or from work. I've fallen and whacked my head on that stuff too many times. I HATE ice.