The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default FTGH - 9yo Haflinger Pony Gelding in Central NY (nearish Utica)

Okay, so I rescued this pony from a bad situation; he had been abused and was extremely sick from pneumonia. He was deathly afraid of me when he arrived and we slowly nursed him back to health and taught him excellent ground manners. He is nervous still around new things, but he is good for the vet and farrier, cross ties well, and happy to be groomed, etc.... He is not for a child, but with work and patience with a skilled horse person I could see him blossoming into a much better pony.

He is about 13.3hh and a pretty chocolate palomino. Sound and respectful on the ground. He honestly looks like a mini draft -- almost more Belgian than Haflinger. He is not registered, so who really knows. But he is cute as a button. He was said to ride, but as spooky and powerful as he is, I didn't want to try it personally. (edited to add -- I am also a big weenie when it comes to riding unknown horses!)

The bad -- and the reason I need to find him a new home. And fast, hopefully! He is an overly studdish gelding and cannot be turned out with mares. I only have mares and a weanling (and plans to start a breeding operation) and he just cannot be turned out with them. He runs them around, herds them and keeps them from water, etc.... If he is turned out in a separate paddock, he is totally fine. He will not break fences down to get to the mares. And he is not sexually aggressive - no dropping or mounting of the mares. Just herding behavior which really worries my little mares.

I imagine he'd be a good companion for an alpha gelding or just a nice little backyard companion for a home that doesn't have mares. And maybe with work he could become a riding or driving pony. I honestly don't know. He's perfectly sound and will take a saddle and bridle with no issues, but - like I said - he is very spooky. He really needs to be worked with and desensitized much, much more. Though when he spooks, he is always respectful of my space and never bumps into me. He doesn't offer to bite or kick or anything. I do really like this guy and the family feels terrible about giving him up, but the way my paddocks/pastures work, I just can't easily keep him separated regularly from the mares, without giving up an entire paddock that I need for the broodmares come next spring. I hope I can find him a good home. You would need to be responsible for transport -- he is up-to-date on shots, trimming and dental work. PM me if you're interested.
    Last edited by ReinerPrincess; Nov. 26, 2012 at 05:06 PM.

Wanted to add some items:

He eats very little, but is not an air fern either. Meaning he can be on superlush grass and not overeat/founder. I think he is very smart and has learned an amazing amount in the few months I've owned him. I think he'd be a good project for someone.

My nieces (8 & 5) do groom him in cross-ties and feed him treats. He does seem to love them. I'm just extremely cautious with them handling him because of how nervous he can be. But that being said, he really doesn't know his own strength and never tries to break away or fight anything, even when totally terrified. He truly wants to be good; he just has a hard time trusting humans.

Here are some photos from my Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1777925&type=3

Hopefully this works!

bump!

Update --- I really like this guy and am giving him a second chance, however if the right home came along, I'd love to see someone work with him and give him a real job. I have officially mounted him and ridden around at a walk. He was generally pretty good about it all, though he did spook pretty hard towards the end and started bucking, so I did an emergency dismount because I'm a scaredy-cat.

He is coming along splendidly and is less and less spooky (still terrified of spray bottles and water -- as in hoses). In fact, I find him more interested in people than my other horses and generally more trustworthy as I know he would never invade my space on the ground. I think - with time - he'd make a nice little project for an experienced rider/trainer. He seems very smart and wants a job. All that being said, I will continue to work with him and maybe he'll end up being my project....

He really is a bully though with other horses. Wouldn't hurt a person, but probably would never be a good idea to turn him out with any other horses.....if you had a place with a solo T/O situation it would be ideal....

PM if you might be interested. He is not in any danger -- has a home for life with me, but I would really be happy to see him have a real job with someone who'd like the challenge.