The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Did anyone snag any Black Friday super good deals?

Since the other Black Friday thread has kind of taken a different direction, did anyone score a major shopping victory? I didn't venture out at all. Facebook friends of mine who did were largely disappointed. A friend of ours who works at Best Buy finally returned home after 19 hours at the store. So glad I was neither a shopper nor a retail store employee.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

We didn't do the crazy commercial Black Friday stuff, but did do "Small Business Saturday" a day early when we took a stroll down the main drag in my grandmother's small town. Found a great boutique and scored an amazing $300 Trina Turk dress for less than $90! And got a few Christmas items knocked off the list from local artists. MUCH better than fighting the masses at a big outlet .
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

1 members found this post helpful.

I went to my local tack store this afternoon and found an Ariat Kloster Down Jacket for 50% off!!! I loff it. Its so cozy and warm and feels like butter.

No more shopping for me!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I did some online shopping, new halters, saddle pads and whatever else seemed like a deal. Also bought new bedding at Overstock.com, LOVE that site!

Research (I actually heard this last year) has shown that most people stampeding to get the BF deals on electronics are not buying Christmas gifts - those giant TVs are for themselves!
    Last TV I bought was indeed a Christmas gift for my mom & grandmother, whose old tube TV was in its death throes.

Oh, and I too am an Overstock junkie!

My local feed store had a Black Friday sale on all of their premium feeds so I stocked up a bit But I am bound and determined to do all Christmas gifts through local/ small business this year, so I didn't hit any of the "big" black friday sales.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Did two equine online orders both at 20% off and got all those items we 'really' need. wink wink.

No big box store shopping for us. Today we're going to the big holiday Farmer's Market this morning - free hot ciders and chocolate, carolers and the Tuba Santas, live reindeer for the kids, carriage rides with sleigh bells around the square downtown with the streets all decorated. The vendors have the handmade wreaths and swags, jars of honey and soaps and specialties. It is teamed up with a big arts and crafts fair going indoors at the same time. Handmade ornaments, woven and knitted winter items, one of a kind jewelry, artworks, garden items, speciality clothing, handmade heirloom quality toys for the kids, big and small. What's not to like or want to buy!
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

I got some fleece wear from Old Navy online - stuff I thought would be good for the barn but didn't buy earlier because of price... I also threw in a shirt of Kermit the Frog wearing a Santa hat.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I bought new flooring at Home Depot for both a bathroom and a dining room from their Black Friday ad. I have no idea how well they will do, but I figured at the price I could live with them.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I didn't buy ANYTHING! I saved more than everyone else...

I bought a new dishwasher at Sears, great price and sorely needed!

I got a pair of Dafna Blizzard winter riding boots at Dover's for $45. Not a huge savings but I didn't want to wait until I really needed them and risk them being sold out. This is a gift from my parents to me but I'm hoping to start wearing them before Christmas.

Not much of a shopper but I did buy a stack of stall mats at TSC for $29 ech. Just lucky I was there and noticed that sale.
    "The Desire to Win is worthless without the Desire to Prepare"

It's a "KILT". If I wore something underneath, it would be a "SKIRT".

I mostly did Small Business Saturday and got a couple presents...at full price. The one for me, though, came from Sears. I travel a fair amount and my small suitcase has gotten beaten up over the ten years I've had it. I scored a new, nicer, better made, small suitcase for 50% off and was happy to pay that amount for it. Now I'm hoping it fits in the overhead bin. The length is fine...and I'm sure the depth is, too...I've seen others with them...it's just a bit "fatter" than my old one, so until I do it, I'll be a little concerned. lol

My hometown itty bitty tack shop was having a tent sale. On Saturday. In the 20 degree wind and snow (really, WHY?!) I bought $15 paddock boots. Probably would have scored more stuff but I couldn't dig through bins under tarps in the snow for more than a few minutes before I had to give up!!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/