The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default This Years Garden Winner

Rutabagas. And I have a bumper crop of them.

I finally got Gramps to make some raised beds. And soon he had 5 of them! So it is a first for us to have been able to plant some root crops. I read to wait until after the first frost to start using the rutabagas. I just pulled my first one tonight. A big beautiful beauty and it smelled sooo fresh!

So I made my super favorite meal, my fall root vegetable sausage pot.

Home dug carrots, parsnips, rutabagas and sweet potatoes! I added cabbage slices and smoked sausage (water and bay leaves) in a pressure cooker. Let it shake a few minutes.

While I was slicing I tasted the raw rutabagas -- so sweet and slicing them was like butter compared to the tough old waxed grocery store ones!

What was new that you tried and hit a winner?
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

Well a good recipe for rutabagas is to make them whipped, like potatoes. It is a traditional dish for husband's family. Have to say it was an aquired taste when we first did the family dinners, they were awful! Then after his mother died, the rutabagas were assigned to various family members each year, with no improvement that I could see! Even my BIL the very good cook, didn't improve them. When it got to be our turn, we talked to my mother, read old cookbooks, to find a way to fix them that was better tasting.

My mom is an old Home Economics Teacher, so she had a couple suggestions. First was that we change the water during cooking. Bring to a boil, then dump water and put in NEW water, bring back to a boil and cook until fork tender. Then she suggested that we use real butter and real cream to mix with them as we mashed them. The change was AMAZING. Husband got HUGE compliments on his dish of rutabagas from everyone in the family, along with them all wanting the extra to take home!!

So we have gotten the permanent assignment of rutabagas for Holiday dinners, and "Please make LOTS of rutabagas so there is plenty for everyone in left-overs!" Guests at these meals always give them a try, probably thinking they are golden potatoes! They will comment on the "different" flavor that is so good. Then they get told they ate rutabagas and are very surprised. I now like to eat his rutabagas, because they are pretty darned good! Husband keeps some out of the dish we take, for his own left-overs the next day. There are never any to bring home with us!

I really have never tried them in anything, like stews. But maybe you might like them mashed, so you have another dish to use them in. My kids like the mashed ones fried lightly in a frypan, like hamburgers. They also like mashed potatoes fried that way, which is something my mom made up for them. So a couple ways to use your bumper crop up this winter.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

LOVE rutabagas!
    Perhaps they will go in next year's garden...

For me it was greens: collard and kale, and potatoes.
    Not this year, as I experiment with something new every year & this year's fail was onions
    The potatoes were amazingly easy and awesomely better as new potatoes and larger.
    The greens grew like crazy - I had a freezer-full after the first frost hit.
    Great fresh as salad and later sauteed with garlic & oil over pasta or as a side.

And what is the secret to carrots?
    I have finally given up after trying to grow for 3 years with all sorts of soil mixes including 2/3 sand.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009