The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default PVC roofing for barn?

The DH and I have just about completed our 2 stall shedrow on a budget. The last thing we have to purchase and install are the roof panels.

We were originally intending to use corrugated steel panels for the roof, but DH saw this stuff at Lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_12737-1115-1...t_avg_rating|1

DH pointed out that it would be easier to transport and (probably) install, prevent the need for noise insulation, and wouldn't "sweat" like metal.

My concerns are that it will turn my stalls into roasting hot greenhouses in the summer and be destroyed the first hailstorm-- I'm not sure if either concern is valid, though!

Anyone use it on a shed or barn? What have been your experiences?
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I've never seen it used for the whole roof on a barn, but have seen it for skylights. I have an aquaintance that used it to build a greenhouse, and it's pretty toasty in there. I'd be hesitant to use it for more than a skylight on a horse barn.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

I used it for a run-in roof attached to the end of my barn. It's great in the winter, nice, warm and sunny...but it does get hot in the summer, and I have three sides open then. The area I covered is about 16' x 16'. I wish now I had gotten the white version instead of the clear. One mistake we made was to skip siliconing the panels down in addition to screwing; after 2 years we've had to reattach the panels the wind has loosened, and I believe that silicone would have helped.

ondura roof panels are pretty much the same price, same location, but are made like asphalt shingles, just in a large corregated panel, like the pvc panel.........all you need to install are the special nails.....they are easy to use, move, and very durable..........i have them on several things here in pa, and they have held up for decades

if you live in an area subjected to hail just expect to replace it

Second this. With hail it is a goner. Strong winds are not friendly either. The siliconing might help it from so readily being blown off.
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

Thanks for the replies! We just went ahead and bought the metal we were originally intending to buy.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    Thanks for the replies! We just went ahead and bought the metal we were originally intending to buy.
    Put 7/16 OSB down first, then 15#felt paper, then put your metal roof on. No moisture dripping through.

Good thing you did not buy those pvc panels. They never last the life of a metal roof--sun makes them dry and brittle, same as it does to the pvc fencing. The metal is forever.
    Discipline is the Bridge between Dreams and Accomplishments