The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I never had a new car and typically drive my cars for 7ish yrs.Currently "99 Miata with 50,000,2002 Firebird with 70,000,and truck 95 80,000.

I definitely identify with the OP. My car gave me trouble starting on Wednesday, so I called my mechanic who booked me in on Friday. He didn't remember my name, but once I told him my vehicle he remembered me!

Took it in today. Told them not to repair anything big, just to break the news to me if need be. Called near the end of the day. Yep, just a clogged fuel filter and some old spark plugs. They also put their computer on it and gave it a once-over, then drove the car around to make sure she was running well. Total bill: $118. Looks like my 335,000 km car is going to keep running a while yet Go Carrie go!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Our cars are getting old.
    1999 Suburban that I used to drive all the time (and hated that). It's had quite a few things replaced. We have a leak somewhere in the braking system because, although "fixed" in April, my husband announced yesterday that it had NO brakes. It will go in again next week. Two weeks ago, the driver side door handle stayed in my husband's hand... we have replaced axle and other stuff. It barely passed emission test last year and I think if it does not pass next year, that will be it. We are not going to spend $$$$ to fix that. I dread this because we either have to sell the boat or buy another tow vehicle... I'd rather sell the boat!
    Otherwise I drive a 2004 XC70 Volvo with over 200 000 km on it. No major problem but very good maintenance. Hubby drive a 2004 S60 with 140 000 km, bought used, but serviced all along by our trusted Volvo mechanic. It s a stick and turbo.

Our daughter drives a 1999 Volvo S70 with 300 000 km, manual transmission. Bought from a friend at 90 000 km (and he had not driven it in two years at least), again serviced all along by our trusted mechanic (the Volvo whisperer). She has had a few problems with ie a fuel pump, wheel bearings, brakes, AC and power windows (at the same time and during a heat wave, daughter thought she was going to die) and wobbly wheels. Our mechanic cannot be making any money on our cars because he charges cost for parts and sometimes works for one hour and charges 20 min. !! I love him!

Our son drives a 2000 S70 Volvo with 270 000 km, manual transmission... he had the same AC problem as his sister, parking brake, and a few minor things.

Well maintained, they can last a long long time. Our mechanic has told our daughter she should be prepared to change her clutch.

1 members found this post helpful.

We have Bob the Volvo (1992 240 Sedan). Named for the Bob Marley tape he came with. I'm convinced it's the source of his power.

Frankenvolvo the 91 wagon. She is built from parts off 2-3oother cars. Cost 250 bucks off eBay in NYC and tough as hell.

I haven't named the xc70 but I have all kinds of nasty names for it that I mutter under my breath every time I have to fix it (no part for it costs less then $300 ). A close family member is my mechanic and he told me to be nice to it so I try not to swear at it out loud.

Here's the lineup:

2000 Suburban with 190K+ miles. It was the kid mobile, Boy Scout trailer hauler, now is the back up trailer hauler and my hubby's bicycling vehicle. Bought new, kept up maintenance. Probably has another 100K in it.

1995 Volvo 850 with 250K+ - bought in 2003 for sons to drive to high school. Has been to college and is now my DH's airport car.

1997 Volvo 960 with 135K+ - one of my sons bought it in CO and drove it back here. The guy he bought it from totally rehabbed it after an accident. It's my drive to the barn car.

My sons each have an older Volvo. The good news is that they have become Volvo experts, so they keep the fleet running and save me many $$$$. We also have a good local mechanic who works on everything if the sons can't fix it. And we are on a first name basis, for sure!

And then there's the 2011 YukonXL, custom ordered for hauling, which is our total indulgence. A great vehicle. We'll probably still be driving it around when we're 80!!!

I don't really care what my daily drivers look like - not much reason to try and keep up some sort of "image" around here. But I want a really good vehicle to tow my horsie trailer and I'm lucky to have a husband who likes to drive an SUV, so we all get along!

I am never sure if anyone remembers me, let alone my mechanic, so I always call and say "hey, its comingback, with the honda civic". They always know the car

It's a 2000 manual transmission with 186,000 miles on it and really no major repairs as of yet...knock on wood. I plan on driving it until it blows up, much to the chagrin of my husband who wants a new car (ugh...totally a difference of opinion between us on that one....who wants the car payment!).

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post

Give it ("her") time...My parents have also ALWAYS had old cars (maybe this is an inherited thing), and they used to have a Corvair, a real "killer car". In fact, that's the first car I ever drove!
    My sister's first car was also a Corvair, the unsafe at any speed mobile. Her nickname btw is 'Crash'.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

For many years my husband and I both drove Volvo wagons, bought new and driven to death.
    During that time we were definitely on first name basis with the Volvo mechanics.
    One of my husband's Volvos went 1 million miles. Another, which he referred to as The Stephen King Signature Edition went at least 700K.
    The newer ones are too small for his needs, so he has had to switch to a van for work, and they are wearing out more quickly than the Volvos did.
    I also have a truck - my 98 Silverado was bought new to replace my 86 Suburban...
    I love this truck, but I am thinking it might be time.....
    and right now my car is a 12 year old Toyota Avalon with under 50k in herited from my MIL.
    Not going to be able to fit too many bales, or sick goats in that one, however.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

I have a 93 F-150 named Buffy. Goes to the Mechanic infrequently only because the previous owner did not drive it much! 26,000 ORIGINAL miles on it. I also don't drive it too much.

My BF has a 94 Grand Prix, not sure what he calls it, but our mechanic knows that car good! We carpool with that one so it gets used more! Its totally worth it though to be able to do what you want and not have big payments.
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

I forgot to say that the only car with a name is my daughter's Volvo. It is Victor.
    We really love our mechanic. He used to work at the Volvo dealership and when refused a promotion to service manager (because he was too valuable in the shop), he quit and set up his own business. Their loss... it is unbelievable how many people followed him... they even come from Hamilton and Toronto... He is so thorough... He moved a bit further but still lives in town. So we can drop off our car to his house in the evening, he drives it to work (good test) and brings it back home the next day. Love it!

and

These are some inspirational and remarkable tales! Nice to know that so many other people are in a similar boat--and people with Volvos have their own special "clan" (my father presently has two, a station wagon and a sedan--when we park in their driveway we joke that it looks like the Volvos have been "getting busy"--and he has had three other Volvo stations wagons in the past. They have ALL been quirky; random wierd things go wrong with them, but then again he has a friend who buys cars off Ebay, and he finds these cars for my father. My father has a bit too much trust in this friend, methinks!)

We keep telling him he should just buy his next car from Carmax, but at 87, he is a bit set in his ways.

Those suckers DO continue to run and run until they implode, though. I expect someday to encounter the "wonderful one horse shay" in the parking spot.

I only WISH we had a mechanic in the family , or a nice CHEAP garage who would cut us a break on a regular basis. Our usual mechanic tried to sneak some extra repairs in on the Burby earlier this year, and tell us "after the fact." Upon discovering this, I gave him QUITE the earful (unusual for me), and since then that they have been kind of tiptoeing around us, and actually did some work on our cars for FREE! I guess it pays to be a nasty beeotch once in awhile. I'm hoping I'm able to get (excuse the pun) a little more "mileage" out of that dressing down
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post

I only WISH we had a mechanic in the family
    Yes, that IS helpful. I feel super lucky in that Mr. Breezy is a car nut, & worked his way through college doing auto repair - specializing in foreign cars. In fact, he once bought an old original Porsche 911 & rebuilt the engine on his own. Fun little car that he ended up selling at a huge profit. So little stuff (& some not-so-little stuff) he does himself. But knows enough when to turn stuff over to a mechanic rather than fiddling with it himself. Frequently it's not because he can't fix it himself, but rather that it would be a pain in the a** to do so & he just doesn't want to deal with it.

Haha.. I sleep with my mechanic.
    We have many "aged" cars & 4 drivers in the house, so something always needs to be fixed, he does a great job keeping them all on the road.
    Our current fleet -
    1998 Volvo s70 with 343K
    1997 Subaru Legacy 235K
    1997 Chevy Dually & 1998 Volvo wagon - about 150K each
    2003 BMW with 180K (hubby's midlife crisis car and our "new" car)
    1997 Honda Civic 250K (belongs to oldest daughter who lives elsewhere, but still brings it to dad to fix)
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

Yeah they have quirky things go wrong but it's part of their charm.

At least that's what I try to tell myself when one of the f-ing things isn't starting randomly. That and it beats 300/month forma new car of the most basic kind.

Quote Originally Posted by volvo_240 View Post
    We have Bob the Volvo (1992 240 Sedan). Named for the Bob Marley tape he came with. I'm convinced it's the source of his power.

Frankenvolvo the 91 wagon. She is built from parts off 2-3oother cars. Cost 250 bucks off eBay in NYC and tough as hell.

I haven't named the xc70 but I have all kinds of nasty names for it that I mutter under my breath every time I have to fix it (no part for it costs less then $300 ). A close family member is my mechanic and he told me to be nice to it so I try not to swear at it out loud.
    I love my S70, it has roughly 340K right now, it's a manual transmission. We bought it used about 5 years ago with 198K for $1000. Hubby just bought another off craigslist that needs a new engine for his "project" car when Lars goes to the great junkyard in the sky.
    Have you thought about a salvage yard for parts? you have to be savvy (or related to someone who is..lol) but hubby goes and frequently gets parts for next to nothing money wise... it really helps keep our old fleet chugging along.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

Salvage yard is great for 240 parts. My xc70 is a 99 and they all break the same damn way so the parts cars have the same bad parts!

Wish I still had my old Volvos! My first car was a '74 Series 164E (a bit of a rarity I came to find out later...) and my second was a '76 240. Miss them both terribly and dream of some day getting another old one as a fixer-upper.

Between me n' the hubby, we have 4 paid off vehicles, and yes- the mechanics know our names and the vehicles! We have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport, a 1999 Chevy 3500, a 2002 Saturn L200, and a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 (motorcycle).

The Jeep I paid off years ago, the truck was a cash purchase fixer-upper, the Saturn was bought by DH from his parents, and the motorcycle bought from our mechanic LOL

We are happy to have all of them paid off and are fine with the occasional mechanic bills, it's cheaper than going under payments again. And we manage to have a vehicle for ANY occasion LOL

We have a number of aging vehicles (some are downright ancient) and, yes, we have several mechanics with whom we are on a first name basis...two of them are DH and I . I've never bought a new vehicle, they are a ripoff, paying for depreciation? No thanks. And, yes, we are hard on cars and trucks, I see no point in having something nice when it will just get loaded up with boys and dogs and horse stuff and junkyard parts and become a stinky mess in short order .

Yes.

And I have his cell #.

And text him any issues so he can try to remote solve before we bring in.

And when they do come in, their tickets always have their nicknames on them: Cammie, Kota, FiFi, or Ray. Who needs make/model when they know the CAR by name?
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDreamRides View Post
    Yes.

And I have his cell #.

And text him any issues so he can try to remote solve before we bring in.

And when they do come in, their tickets always have their nicknames on them: Cammie, Kota, FiFi, or Ray. Who needs make/model when they know the CAR by name?

Hard to know whether to laugh or cry...
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")