The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mercedespony View Post
    I won't shop at walmart, haven't been in one for years.
    I'm not a fan of their corporate policies re: moving into a location and killing off local businesses, low employee wages/benefits, etc.
    I just can't support that intense cash driven only corporate strategy.
    Im prepared to pay a little more to support my local businesses, because I care about my neighborhood.
    Most businesses are intensely cash driven. This is what makes the world turn.

Some families can't afford to spend a little more and shopping at Walmart is how they can make ends meet.

Walmart promotes a lot from within. You can start as a cashier and work your way up.

I don't like Walmart having their employees coming in on Thanksgiving. Frankly I think Black Friday is a scary bunch of nonsense. But, if you work in retail don't be that surprised when they ask you to come in on a holiday. Working in retail for many is a stepping stone. I started out working in retail when I just needed any job I could get. And I was glad to have it.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    So where DO you shop "mvp"? Do you have a large family where pinching every penny counts BIG TIME?

Throw stones only when you've at least had stones in your shoes.
    You can read all about my efforts to get out of debt elsewhere on OT day.

I don't have a huge family (because I am well aware that I cannot afford that). I do pinch pennies, in part because I don't have an SO whom I can rely on for my financial success or survival. It's all me.

So if I don't have your big stones in my shoes, it's not because I was a careless idiot. I don't appreciate the implication.

And your misjudgment of me or distain doesn't invalidate the point I made above about spending money locally. If you don't want to do that, then don't. But own it and the consequences. A poorly paid local population comes back to bit community member in the butt.

But on a helpful note: The cheapest cat litter ever turns out to be the pelleted bedding we use for horses. It smells piney good and one bag lasts a long time. Wood pellets meant for burning work well, too.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    What most people fail to realize is how we support Walmart's low wages with food stamps, medicaid and tax breaks.

For every 3 jobs that are lost when a Walmart moves in, only two are replaced...almost always at lower wages and with fewer benefits.

For those of you who say...then don't work there, I highly recommend the book Nickel and Dimed.
    You might also want to read the rebuttal to that book:

http://www.startribune.com/templates...y?sid=35688994

4 members found this post helpful.

Removed for duplicate post.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    But on a helpful note: The cheapest cat litter ever turns out to be the pelleted bedding we use for horses. It smells piney good and one bag lasts a long time. Wood pellets meant for burning work well, too.
    We use that. I like it far better than the clay.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    This is true, for small businesses being a fulfillment center for Walmart can be disastrous. You basically are loaning them the inventory and they will pay you when the items are sold.

But if you don't like it, don't do business with Walnart. My Uncle chooses not to supply wood to Walmart for this very reason.

Unfortunately I think a lot of small businesses don't do research about being a vendor for Walmart and don't realize this is how it goes.
    Your uncle was certainly smarter than the CEO of the firm I worked for. But he was doing the whole "we'll do anything for cash" strategy that others on this thread pointed out as the MO of corporations. Bit him hard. I learned a lot watching the process.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

4 members found this post helpful.

But you just explained why you wouldn't go somewhere else! And your findings "that you'd have to drive hell and yon to find what Walmart has" is an effect of their strategy-- driving out competitors.

I haven't paid attention to Walmart in a long time. It was clear what kind of business this was, even before they showed their employees how to file for social services. I'm *so* not interested in paying taxes so as to subsidize their labor costs.
    That's just it before Walmart there was nothing else here. For clothes, one or two over priced, trying to be a trendy shops (owned by a bored wife) that goes out of business in a couple of years. The local hardware store has been able to compete with W. We had one grocery store that left. HEB came in built a dinky store, upped to a slightly larger store. There was for a while an off brand store that couldn't stay in business. The community asked HEB for a larger store and they said no. The small Walmart we had said "We'll be a super walmart with grocery" and suddenly HEB says " Us too!" They built across the street from each other. I go to W 3 or 4 times more than HEB because I can get everything I need there. There are only a few items I can only get at HEB. There are employees at ours that have been there for as long as we've been here (nearly 20 years). My cousin has been with them for I guess 20 years and is a department head. He's worked at several different stores in different areas where he's lived.

No it's not perfect. Yes, they have put other businesses out of business. We don't have many shops that we use to. Not many cobblers, or milliners around . Try finding an upholstery shop ( I've been trying to find one locally for 10 yrs.).

I use to use local feed store but TSC beat their prices and are rarely out of stock like the feed store. Both stores were limited in their selections, but TSC has slightly better prices.

Nothing is as it once was, and even then people complained.

2 members found this post helpful.

Yabbut, some of that more money you spend is more likely to go into the paychecks of folks in your town. And that money comes back to you when they spend it where you live and work.

The "sorry" is a sarcastic one, right?
    So, what? Walmart imports people to work for my LOCAL Walmart? The people that I know that work at walmart are local. They shop here.

I get that you don't like Walmart's policies/whatever, but the people that work there live in my town. They wouldn't have a job without walmart.

6 members found this post helpful.

I was actually just noticing today how long this bag of wood pellet has lasted! I only have one cat, but the 20lb bag I bought in... the summer, some time before July, is only half used.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    So, what? Walmart imports people to work for my LOCAL Walmart? The people that I know that work at walmart are local. They shop here.

I get that you don't like Walmart's policies/whatever, but the people that work there live in my town. They wouldn't have a job without walmart.
    Yabbut again. Does WallyWorld pay a living wage? Or is your town one of the places that you can work there and still collect government support?

I do know that there are places so economically depressed that it's a shite job or none at all. But that hardly justifies an employer that wants taxpayers pay their staff.

If the business can't or won't do that, it's not a viable business. What chaps my hide is that a business who meets its bottom line this way presents itself as healthy. And you can bet that the Walton family and execs at Walmart get paid what they'd like. So I ask you, why should Joe Q. Public pay for that?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

7 members found this post helpful.

So what do you propose? Not shop at walmart and put all the people in my local community out of a job? Nice. I guess they can just skip down the road to another job. Oh wait. The economy sucks. There are no other jobs.

If I lose my job tomorrow, I'm heading my ass over to WM to apply. Hell, I'm heading anywhere to apply because I don't want to take other people's money to live. For all I know, that's what the local people at my WM are doing. I met a guy at a grocery store with a computer background that was working there because he wouldn't take a hand out. He was like me - white collar, but didn't want to live off other people.

But I guess I should just boycott my local WM because the execs make money??? Guess what, execs make money. Why else be an exec? I make money and, by god, I'd like to make a bunch more of it. It's just a sad thing that my relatives didn't leave me a well functioning, profitable company so I could exploit anyone to whom I bothered to give a pay check.

13 members found this post helpful.

I highly recommend the book 'the bully of Bentonville'. A real eye opener!
    And as far as products at great prices, you are actually getting lesser quality items from manufacturer's (ie Rubbermaid) who have to cut quality to meet Wal-Mart's slim margins.

9 members found this post helpful.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

I don't understand the uproar over Walmart daring to require employees, who, when hired, were told that they were required to work differing shifts, holidays, and weekends.
    Where is the uproar over Walgreens and others that are open and pay similar wages?
    How about all the gas station employees that have always had to work Thanksgiving and Christmas so that others can drive to visit relatives?
    Or the hotel and motel employees?
    The restaurant employees who are open so that those who don't want to cook or can't travel can enjoy a meal?
    The theatre employees who have to work Thanksgiving and Christmas so others can enjoy a movie?

All the above employees are paid the same, or less, lack benefits, and have no choice about working holidays if they want to keep their jobs, but I don't (and never have) heard people raging about how unfair it is for them.

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    So what do you propose? Not shop at walmart and put all the people in my local community out of a job? Nice. I guess they can just skip down the road to another job. Oh wait. The economy sucks. There are no other jobs.

If I lose my job tomorrow, I'm heading my ass over to WM to apply. Hell, I'm heading anywhere to apply because I don't want to take other people's money to live. For all I know, that's what the local people at my WM are doing. I met a guy at a grocery store with a computer background that was working there because he wouldn't take a hand out. He was like me - white collar, but didn't want to live off other people.

But I guess I should just boycott my local WM because the execs make money??? Guess what, execs make money. Why else be an exec? I make money and, by god, I'd like to make a bunch more of it. It's just a sad thing that my relatives didn't leave me a well functioning, profitable company so I could exploit anyone to whom I bothered to give a pay check.
    Well, before you rag on me about not having sympathy, what have you done to support the cause of your local community? Have you voted for legislators that make poorly-paid jobs like the ones Walmart offers illegal?

And again, the person who prides him or herself on working "so as to not live off of other people" but choosing an employer who underpays and expects distant tax payers to take up the slack are *not* being self-supporting at bottom. They transfer the problem of being on the dole to someone else while keeping their pride. That works, but only if you don't think very hard about it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

8 members found this post helpful.

Costco stores have prices as low as Walmart but they pay their workers a living wage.

Starve the walmart beast and shop elsewhere.
    Save Schrodinger's Cat!!!

10 members found this post helpful.

To be clear... you "ragged on me", and bite me for not having to explain/promote myself to you about what I do in my community. Geeze... You have some nerve.

As for my pay check. Yep. Going to make a pay check. Going to do everything I can not to have to take $$ from my fellow country men (people, if you want to be all politically correct). As far as I know, WM is functioning within US regulations. Did you work there and they pissed you off? Hmmm?

If that's the only place I can get a job, DAMN STRAIGHT I'll take it. You'd rather I sit home and take a gov't check? Wow. That's F'ed up.

for a long time Walmart was the only grocery store in town. Not because it drove the competition out, but because the competition faultered due to mismanagement.

it's not in danger of becomeing a K-Mart anytime soon (K-Mart crumbled because of corrupt CEOs bleeding the healthy firm dry to their own advantage)

If you have the means to buy yur chinese made junk from another source, more power to you.

BTW, local businesses were killed when the malls moved in....

FWIW, I have searched small retail stores for stuff I wnated and could never find the item I needed. so if I have to buy something I don't want, just to make due, it might as well be the cheap one....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

6 members found this post helpful.

I'm a registered medical technologist. I stopped working a few years ago but about 2 years later decided to go back to keep my skills current. My supervisor wanted me to work part-time (which I'd done before) 3 days one week and 4 the next. I did it for a few months until they got more people hired and then asked to go to PRN status (required to work one day a month and one major and one minor holiday). So I now I am PRN and work every 3rd weekend and a holiday. I took a 25% pay cut (hourly wage) to do so. They don't have to pay insurance or PTO for me but still they pay us less (that's not the case in other departments). I work extra occasionally when they need help but only if it suits me. There is one other person like me. I think it stinks that I get paid so much less but not enough to quit, Because I'm not doing it for the money alone. If I was doing it for the money I'd work full or part time. We all have to work holidays. My kids never knew anything different because their dad then ran a dairy so that also never closes for holidays. There are LOTS of jobs that don't .

I think people who have only known "9-5, 5 day a week" jobs don't realize that many people work weekends, holidays as well as nights and evenings. Families learn to adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Costco stores have prices as low as Walmart but they pay their workers a living wage.

Starve the walmart beast and shop elsewhere.
    we don't have a costco.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hastyreply View Post
    I think people who have only known "9-5, 5 day a week" jobs don't realize that many people work weekends, holidays as well as nights and evenings. Families learn to adjust.
    yep, I work for a 24/7 organization. I am grateful as the holiday $$ has made a difference for me for years and I knew going into it weekends were involved. Some days (just like any other job), I wish I didn't have to work the weekends or the shift work, but hey! Someone has to do it! *puts hand to forehead in mock faint*

11 members found this post helpful.