The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Results 261 to 274 of 274
  1. #261
    Join Date
    Mar. 12, 2006
    Location
    Ocala
    Posts
    1,219



  2. #262
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    For many of us rural shoppers the coming of Wal- Mart was the end of shopping anywhere else. As small mom and pop stores who had been a small town staple folded we are out of options to get the things we need. As much as I dislike shopping at Wal- Mart, I can't afford to drive 35 miles one way in 3 different directions every week to do my shopping.

    I have heard about the low wages and the complaints of the workers. I have worked hard at a few jobs for very low wages and I was thankful to have a job and in my thinking the employees at Wal-Mart should be thankful to be working as well. I stayed at my jobs until I was able to find something better. There is nothing stopping them from doing the same.
    For many in our rural area, the small shops were already disappearing when WM in the large town came.
    I don't think WM ran the small shops away as much as finished taking people away from the small towns.
    I guarantee you that if a grocery store opens even closer to rural areas than WM is now, many will go there, not going even close to the big town and it's WM but rarely.

    In rural areas, it is about convenience, especially when you only go there every week or two or three.

    I think that is one more reason why WM is successful, it is not only about prices, but in many areas, it knows where to put their stores so they get the most traffic.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  3. #263
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2007
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumVt View Post
    The pooper scooper was an example.

    I don't believe in luck. I believe in opportunity. There are many opportunities for those who open their eyes to them. If they have the mindset that "it's walmart of I'm on unemployement/welfare", then that's what they will be stuck with.

    But if they have the mindset of "lots of trees came down during the latest storm, I should get my chainsaw and advertise because many people don't feel safe handling a chainsaw", then that's when they get ahead. I'm not saying it's easy, but instead of feeling like a victim, stuck with the cards they were dealt, it's taking charge of their life.

    It's saying things like "there are retired/disabled people in my community, they may like a service where I deliver their goceries to them." It's realizing that even though they may not have a specialized education, there are still things they can do for the community that can grow into something bigger.

    Perhaps even keep working part time at walmart, and start small with a part time business, for minimal risk. They don't have to sit at home and just wait for the government funds to make up for low pay.
    In this community, you'd have a hard time. Yes, anyone with drive and ambition can start a company. But, as another poster already pointed out, some places just aren't full of business opportunities. Nobody around here is going to pay for a pooper scooper, or log cutter. Cleaners are a dime a dozen. This is a small rural area with high unemployment and limited industry. Local small businesses start and fail at an alarming rate in this part of the country.

    And sometimes, taking the plunge into business is not possible. If you are scraping by, trying to feed a family, you can't afford the time it takes to build a business. It does not happen overnight. You don't wake up one morning and say "I'm going to scoop poop!" and have a full list of clients. If you can't afford to be without a steady paycheck long enough to build a business, then this isn't really an option.

    I've been there done that, built my own small business out of nothing in this area, but if I didn't have some money saved up to start, I would have lost my house and not been able to eat or live.

    And a number of the WM employees do exactly what you are saying, they have side jobs, side businesses because they have to.



  4. #264
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2007
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    Comparing WalMart and Costco is a bit like comparing the liquor store downtown with the wine store in an affluent neighborhood. Boiling it down to an employee issue and ignoring that they serve a completely different markets with different products makes the comparison almost nonsensical.

    For those of you with your panties in a twist over WM's use of part time workers to avoid paying benefits it's going to be fun to sit back and watch your heads explode in the next few years as more and more businesses are going to start using this tactic to try to survive the Affordable Care Act.
    really? Costco is WMs biggest competitor here....

    Found this today.... Costco as the anti-Walmart!

    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/17/bu...agewanted=all&


    2 members found this post helpful.

  5. #265
    Join Date
    May. 17, 2010
    Location
    Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunny59 View Post
    And sometimes, taking the plunge into business is not possible. If you are scraping by, trying to feed a family, you can't afford the time it takes to build a business. It does not happen overnight. You don't wake up one morning and say "I'm going to scoop poop!" and have a full list of clients. If you can't afford to be without a steady paycheck long enough to build a business, then this isn't really an option.

    I've been there done that, built my own small business out of nothing in this area, but if I didn't have some money saved up to start, I would have lost my house and not been able to eat or live.

    And a number of the WM employees do exactly what you are saying, they have side jobs, side businesses because they have to.
    But what is wrong with that?

    I don't understand the horror of not being able to quit a job and then start a business, and instead have to start a small one on the side and slowly, gradually, if it takes hold, work it into a full-time position. And if it doesn't take hold, dream up another idea and try that. You can start after work (esp. with all the complaining the WM doesn't give enough hours) and slowly build it up; no shame there!


    My father worked maintenance for a major university and still painted houses on the side to make ends meet while my mother babysat on the side of her LPN position at a nursing home.
    And yet when the one car needed repairs, I can remember eating eggs (from a nice neighbor) and fruit for a month because it was cheap and nutritious...my parents only ate eggs; fruit was too expensive for everyone to have. Dad got up early to walk to work and a nice neighbor gave my mom a lift to work and took her shopping for fruit and basics.

    No Walmart in town to blame for the low wages; they both understood that it was a starting point, not an ending point.
    Dad worked his way up the ladder (and ended up with a booming side business painting), and mom went back to school for her RN and then BSN as soon as us kids were older and she had saved enough.

    Neither saw lower wages as holding them back, they saw them as a reason to work harder and smarter.

    They didn't expect to automatically make a decent living wage at menial jobs; they expected to better themselves in order to deserve more income; and if necessary to change jobs to ones that would pay more for higher knowledge as they gained it.

    It seems some are suggesting they should have just stuck with that same first job and bitched until they increased the wages there instead of expecting to have to earn the right to a larger paycheck.


    9 members found this post helpful.

  6. #266
    Join Date
    Jul. 15, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    802

    Default

    I liked this once, but I would like it about 10 times more if I could.

    Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    But what is wrong with that?

    I don't understand the horror of not being able to quit a job and then start a business, and instead have to start a small one on the side and slowly, gradually, if it takes hold, work it into a full-time position. And if it doesn't take hold, dream up another idea and try that. You can start after work (esp. with all the complaining the WM doesn't give enough hours) and slowly build it up; no shame there!


    My father worked maintenance for a major university and still painted houses on the side to make ends meet while my mother babysat on the side of her LPN position at a nursing home.
    And yet when the one car needed repairs, I can remember eating eggs (from a nice neighbor) and fruit for a month because it was cheap and nutritious...my parents only ate eggs; fruit was too expensive for everyone to have. Dad got up early to walk to work and a nice neighbor gave my mom a lift to work and took her shopping for fruit and basics.

    No Walmart in town to blame for the low wages; they both understood that it was a starting point, not an ending point.
    Dad worked his way up the ladder (and ended up with a booming side business painting), and mom went back to school for her RN and then BSN as soon as us kids were older and she had saved enough.

    Neither saw lower wages as holding them back, they saw them as a reason to work harder and smarter.

    They didn't expect to automatically make a decent living wage at menial jobs; they expected to better themselves in order to deserve more income; and if necessary to change jobs to ones that would pay more for higher knowledge as they gained it.

    It seems some are suggesting they should have just stuck with that same first job and bitched until they increased the wages there instead of expecting to have to earn the right to a larger paycheck.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  7. #267
    Join Date
    Jul. 15, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    802

    Default

    I liked this post once, but would like it ten more times if I could.

    Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    But what is wrong with that?

    I don't understand the horror of not being able to quit a job and then start a business, and instead have to start a small one on the side and slowly, gradually, if it takes hold, work it into a full-time position. And if it doesn't take hold, dream up another idea and try that. You can start after work (esp. with all the complaining the WM doesn't give enough hours) and slowly build it up; no shame there!


    My father worked maintenance for a major university and still painted houses on the side to make ends meet while my mother babysat on the side of her LPN position at a nursing home.
    And yet when the one car needed repairs, I can remember eating eggs (from a nice neighbor) and fruit for a month because it was cheap and nutritious...my parents only ate eggs; fruit was too expensive for everyone to have. Dad got up early to walk to work and a nice neighbor gave my mom a lift to work and took her shopping for fruit and basics.

    No Walmart in town to blame for the low wages; they both understood that it was a starting point, not an ending point.
    Dad worked his way up the ladder (and ended up with a booming side business painting), and mom went back to school for her RN and then BSN as soon as us kids were older and she had saved enough.

    Neither saw lower wages as holding them back, they saw them as a reason to work harder and smarter.

    They didn't expect to automatically make a decent living wage at menial jobs; they expected to better themselves in order to deserve more income; and if necessary to change jobs to ones that would pay more for higher knowledge as they gained it.

    It seems some are suggesting they should have just stuck with that same first job and bitched until they increased the wages there instead of expecting to have to earn the right to a larger paycheck.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  8. #268
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MMacallister View Post
    I liked this post once, but would like it ten more times if I could.
    You are doing well, three times now, just seven more to go.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  9. #269
    Join Date
    Jul. 15, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    802

    Default

    LOL Bluey, I didn't mean to post that twice, must have been Karma :-)



  10. #270
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MMacallister View Post
    LOL Bluey, I didn't mean to post that twice, must have been Karma :-)
    Yes, little gremlins in the new system, some times it won't acknowledge that I already posted and keeps asking me and if I repeat click, then oops, two identical posts appear.



  11. #271
    Join Date
    Nov. 28, 2000
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,388

    Default

    A sad event, but seems appropriate to link it here.

    If people don't like their jobs, why they should just get another one.


    http://thinkprogress.org/politics/20...hey-had-a-job/
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!



  12. #272
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2007
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    But what is wrong with that?

    I don't understand the horror of not being able to quit a job and then start a business, and instead have to start a small one on the side and slowly, gradually, if it takes hold, work it into a full-time position. And if it doesn't take hold, dream up another idea and try that. You can start after work (esp. with all the complaining the WM doesn't give enough hours) and slowly build it up; no shame there!
    Did I say it was horrible? No, not at all. If it works out that way, GREAT! more power to them! I'm all for it! The real problem trying to do that when working at WM is that you have to be open to WM scheduling. The store here is 24 hours a day, so you really can't plan anything until you get your schedule. If you block out hours for your new business, guess what? You won't get your WM hours.... It is quite difficult to start something new when you are tethered to WM, and these people need that money to get them by in the mean time.


    My father worked maintenance for a major university and still painted houses on the side to make ends meet while my mother babysat on the side of her LPN position at a nursing home.
    And yet when the one car needed repairs, I can remember eating eggs (from a nice neighbor) and fruit for a month because it was cheap and nutritious...my parents only ate eggs; fruit was too expensive for everyone to have. Dad got up early to walk to work and a nice neighbor gave my mom a lift to work and took her shopping for fruit and basics.

    No Walmart in town to blame for the low wages; they both understood that it was a starting point, not an ending point.
    Dad worked his way up the ladder (and ended up with a booming side business painting), and mom went back to school for her RN and then BSN as soon as us kids were older and she had saved enough.

    Neither saw lower wages as holding them back, they saw them as a reason to work harder and smarter.

    They didn't expect to automatically make a decent living wage at menial jobs; they expected to better themselves in order to deserve more income; and if necessary to change jobs to ones that would pay more for higher knowledge as they gained it.

    It seems some are suggesting they should have just stuck with that same first job and bitched until they increased the wages there instead of expecting to have to earn the right to a larger paycheck.
    That's not what I am suggesting.

    hey, I worked 3 jobs while going to school full time, so I'm quite familiar with the scenario. In the end, I got a great job. I'm lucky and I know it.

    WM still treats employees like crap while the Walton fortune grows. Yes, it is capitalism at it's finest. If you love Walmart so, then support them. Personally, from their treatment of employees and suppliers to their blatant disregard for regulations (as long as the fines are cheaper than the fix) I can't......



  13. #273
    Join Date
    May. 12, 2000
    Location
    NE TN, USA
    Posts
    6,201

    Default

    Scapegoats have always been in demand for the demise of "mom 'n' pop" stores. Way before WalMart came along, it was "shopping centers", next "strip malls", and later -- ta-da! -- (reverent, awe-inspiring voice, please) "The Mall". Now the conniving caprid du jour is not only Wally World, but (gasp!) The Internet.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams


    3 members found this post helpful.

  14. #274
    Join Date
    Feb. 27, 2004
    Location
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunny59 View Post
    Did I say it was horrible? No, not at all. If it works out that way, GREAT! more power to them! I'm all for it! The real problem trying to do that when working at WM is that you have to be open to WM scheduling. The store here is 24 hours a day, so you really can't plan anything until you get your schedule. If you block out hours for your new business, guess what? You won't get your WM hours.... It is quite difficult to start something new when you are tethered to WM, and these people need that money to get them by in the mean time.




    That's not what I am suggesting.

    hey, I worked 3 jobs while going to school full time, so I'm quite familiar with the scenario. In the end, I got a great job. I'm lucky and I know it.

    WM still treats employees like crap while the Walton fortune grows. Yes, it is capitalism at it's finest. If you love Walmart so, then support them. Personally, from their treatment of employees and suppliers to their blatant disregard for regulations (as long as the fines are cheaper than the fix) I can't......
    Many jobs only get their schedules one month at a time. In the medical field it's that way. If my DH wants a particular time off he has to ask for it at least 2 months ahead. My daughter's DH is a new RN and he never knows his schedule, it depends on his preceptors schedule. I'm set up to work every 3 weekend and if I want off one of them I'm expected to find someone to switch with me. It's usually not to hard since that goes for everyone and if you say "no" to someone else they will likely do the same to you. I think pretty much most people working in a hospital will have schedules like that.

    In my department we are expected help out different shifts when they are short handed. Most of the time it's voluntary but when they were down several people on both the night shift and the evening shift, the day shift was required to work at least 2 half shifts along with their 8 hr shift a week until they could get more help hired. That would mean coming in at 3 am instead of 7am or staying until 7pm. It happens in many jobs.


    1 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Amish Horse Abandoned and Left Alone at Walmart
    By Mike Matson in forum Off Course
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: Jan. 13, 2012, 07:24 PM
  2. Strike-Over?
    By greyTBlove in forum Dressage
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Aug. 26, 2010, 11:25 PM
  3. Medical armband at Walmart
    By SonnysMom in forum Eventing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jun. 13, 2010, 09:03 PM
  4. Walmart runs before a show!
    By Tobias in forum Off Course
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: Jun. 7, 2010, 07:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness