The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 274
  1. #221
    Join Date
    Mar. 20, 2007
    Posts
    535

    Default

    I am not a big shopper nor would I go out on any huge holiday to shop.
    IMO
    If you don't think you are getting paid what you are worth, quit that job and go find one that that does. If there isn't one out there,then go to the job you have and be glad you have it.

    If you don't want to show up and work, the hours your employer needs you, GIVE that job to a person who needs and WANTS to work. Find yourself something that agrees with the hours you have in mind.
    It's easy to be unhappy with big employers,but atleast they are providing a paycheck.

    Maybe start your own business and then see if you are willing to work days,nights,weekends and holidays.
    "The Desire to Win is worthless without the Desire to Prepare"

    It's a "KILT". If I wore something underneath, it would be a "SKIRT".


    4 members found this post helpful.

  2. #222
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    16,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    The answer to that needs to be based on math, not some idiotic, emotional BS.

    Here's what I mean. Let's say just for argument purposes that WM has 1m employees (it's actually closer to 1.3m but I'm going to keep the math easy here) and half those employees are part time and work an average of 20 hours a week. WM can hire 2x as many people at 20 hours than they can at 40 hours. So let's fire half of those part time workers and give the remaining full time jobs and benefits. Now the government doesn't subsidize the wages of any WM workers, but there are now 250,000 former WM workers who are now wholly on the government dole.

    What's cheaper, helping a bunch of working people who don't make ends meet or half that number who don't have any job at all? Personally, I don't know. Quite frankly I don't think anyone else here knows either, but please don't let the lack of having actual facts and or an understanding basic economics stop anyone. It would spoil all the fun.
    I appreciate your holding us accountable for considering the facts and math.

    But it's not "cheaper" to have 2X the part-timers rather than X full timers.... if the savings was in benefits and we know that someone somewhere else will pick up the tab for their health care and old age.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat


    3 members found this post helpful.

  3. #223
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2011
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post

    Maybe start your own business and then see if you are willing to work days,nights,weekends and holidays.
    Not to mention hiring your own employees, paying them what others here consider a "living wage" plus health benefits, paid vacation, sick days, etc., etc.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  4. #224
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    16,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
    I am not a big shopper nor would I go out on any huge holiday to shop.
    IMO
    If you don't think you are getting paid what you are worth, quit that job and go find one that that does. If there isn't one out there,then go to the job you have and be glad you have it.

    If you don't want to show up and work, the hours your employer needs you, GIVE that job to a person who needs and WANTS to work. Find yourself something that agrees with the hours you have in mind.
    It's easy to be unhappy with big employers,but atleast they are providing a paycheck.

    Maybe start your own business and then see if you are willing to work days,nights,weekends and holidays.
    You are a tad late to the party, my friend. Several pages back folks talked about the constraints that made them work (or shop) at a place like Walmart.

    And may you never know constraint or coercion in your life.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat


    4 members found this post helpful.

  5. #225
    Join Date
    Apr. 11, 2001
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I appreciate your holding us accountable for considering the facts and math.

    But it's not "cheaper" to have 2X the part-timers rather than X full timers.... if the savings was in benefits and we know that someone somewhere else will pick up the tab for their health care and old age.
    The question wasn't whether it was cheaper for WM (of course it isn't.) Hello?

    The question is as a taxpayer is it cheaper for the government to pay smaller benefits to a large group or larger benefits to a smaller group. IF it is cheaper for the *government* to help the under-employed than the unemployed why is that a problem?

    My point is no one here knows which is less expensive in terms of government assistance because no one knows what the data is.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  6. #226
    Join Date
    Jun. 1, 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    11,819

    Default

    Constrant and Coercion?

    I shop at Walmart because I get the most value for my dollar on most of my everyday essentials. Why go to another gorcery and pay twice as much for toilet paper? I would like to use the rest of my money for other things. I also shop plenty of other places as well.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  7. #227
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2007
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jsalem View Post
    It seems to me that if Walmart was such a godawful, miserable, unhappy job environment, then that unhappiness would be reflected in their workforce and in their employees' interactions with the public. The negativity and discontent would inevitably cost Walmart the very business that puts money into the pockets of the owners. The "good" employees would move on to greener pastures (and other, better retail establishments) and all that would be left would be the miserable dregs- those crummy employees being Walmart's bridge to their clientele. Customers would stay away, sales would drop and management would be smart enough to then hire good employees and pay them enough to keep them happy- whew! Isn't that the way free enterprise is supposed to work?

    Since this hasn't happened (yet), it begs the question, "how bad can it be?"

    This thread has certainly given me a lot to think about. I've appreciated reading the different points of view. Let's discuss again next OT day....
    Ah, but who do you know that goes to WM for customer service? They go there for low prices, plain and simple. Around here I hear people complain all the time about the Walmart employees. There are plenty of disgruntled ones walking around, but it doesn't really hurt the bottom line because WM doesn't pretend to be a service oriented store. It's all about price.....
    And that said, there are plenty of unhappy WM workers that still take pride in their work and do a good job, despite being shafted..... The discontent is there....


    3 members found this post helpful.

  8. #228
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    16,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Constrant and Coercion?

    I shop at Walmart because I get the most value for my dollar on most of my everyday essentials. Why go to another gorcery and pay twice as much for toilet paper? I would like to use the rest of my money for other things. I also shop plenty of other places as well.
    We talked about this, too.

    Because supporting a company that depresses wages in your community comes back to lessen your wealth as well.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat


    3 members found this post helpful.

  9. #229
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2011
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Constrant and Coercion?

    I shop at Walmart because I get the most value for my dollar on most of my everyday essentials. Why go to another gorcery and pay twice as much for toilet paper? I would like to use the rest of my money for other things. I also shop plenty of other places as well.
    Ditto. While we purchase our paper towels & toilet paper at Costco (high quality/ terrific price), there are so many other things that are SO much cheaper at Walmart. And things that we use frequently, so yes the savings are substantial. Barilla pasta - just shy of $2 at other stores; $1 or under at Walmart. Same goes for the pasta sauces. Fresh Perdue chicken products - at LEAST $1 less per package than the other local supermarkets. Shady Brook Farms turkey products - again, at least $1 less per pound than the other markets. One of my favorites? Capricorn fresh goat cheese - which I really like for so many recipes. $3.99 or less at Walmart; $6-$8 for the exact same size/product at other markets. And I could list more than a dozen more items that I save on at Walmart, but what would be the point. The Walmart bashers will be what they are on & on & on & on & on. Regardless of the folks who work for Walmart & enjoy it; regardless of the fact that local small businesses frankly aren't any better to work for (& sometimes worse) than Walmart, yadayadayada.

    So I should shop elsewhere & pay more because - boo hoo - some folks have issues with Walmart. Don't think so.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  10. #230
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    16,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Ditto. While we purchase our paper towels & toilet paper at Costco (high quality/ terrific price), there are so many other things that are SO much cheaper at Walmart. And things that we use frequently, so yes the savings are substantial. Barilla pasta - just shy of $2 at other stores; $1 or under at Walmart. Same goes for the pasta sauces. Fresh Perdue chicken products - at LEAST $1 less per package than the other local supermarkets. Shady Brook Farms turkey products - again, at least $1 less per pound than the other markets. One of my favorites? Capricorn fresh goat cheese - which I really like for so many recipes. $3.99 or less at Walmart; $6-$8 for the exact same size/product at other markets. And I could list more than a dozen more items that I save on at Walmart, but what would be the point. The Walmart bashers will be what they are on & on & on & on & on. Regardless of the folks who work for Walmart & enjoy it; regardless of the fact that local small businesses frankly aren't any better to work for (& sometimes worse) than Walmart, yadayadayada.

    So I should shop elsewhere & pay more because - boo hoo - some folks have issues with Walmart. Don't think so.
    Geez!

    I get it that you don't care about the people who are unhappy working for Walmart and that your savings trumps all.

    But don't be bummed when you can't sell your house for what you'd like because a buyer would have to be able to pay for that mortgage with depressed wages. If you could pick up that piece of real estate and move it, your insulation from the effects of patronizing a local employer that depresses wages might work. But with that major investment rooted to the ground? Then you have a problem. Ask Detroit about it.

    My point is that it ought to be a matter of self-interest to support a local economy. You don't actually have to like anyone else in order to do that. You do have to admit to being subject to larger economic forces than your own efforts to save on your food bill each week.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat


    6 members found this post helpful.

  11. #231
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2007
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Who is saying WM is not making schedules and people can trade around and get the breaks they need for other in their lives, just like in any other job?

    I see them myself doing that, one cashier coming by and taking another's place because she had other to do and so and so could not come that day, etc.

    I think that WM may or not be all that bad, but because they are big, they are an easy target to pick on.
    No one would care to comment much or hunt bad/good stories down if the local printing shop was doing what they say WM is doing.

    In our area, they also use some of the mentally and physically handicapped people as stackers and bringing carts in and such, which more upscale stores don't seem to do.
    My friend (and ALL store employees) was told "No time off between Nov 6th and Xmas. Don't even bother requesting. Then of course 2 weeks later, people were getting their hours cut, not getting their "full time". Time off must be requested well in advance and it might or might not get approved. There is no "I can't come today can I trade?" going on......


    3 members found this post helpful.

  12. #232
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2011
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Geez! I get it that you don't care about the people who are unhappy working for Walmart and that your savings trumps all. But don't be bummed when you can't sell your house for what you'd like because a buyer would have to be able to pay for that mortgage with depressed wages. If you could pick up that piece of real estate and move it, your insulation from the effects of patronizing a local employer that depresses wages might work. But with that major investment rooted to the ground? Then you have a problem. Ask Detroit about it.
    Geez - you're one angry cookie. Frankly don't think that if we ever decide to sell our farm (which we don't) that Walmart will come into whether or not a buyer will be able to pay.

    Sorry to disappoint you (& am hoping you don't have a rifle aimed at me thru my bedroom window at the moment - lol!), but I will CONTINUE to shop at our local WalMart, CONTINUE to converse with the employees I know there who have BEEN employees there since we moved here 15 years ago, & will FULLY ENJOY the savings.

    Go figure. I guess I'm supposed to feel like such an unholy & bad person. But you know what? NOT!!!


    6 members found this post helpful.

  13. #233
    Join Date
    Jun. 1, 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    11,819

    Default

    I don't know any retailer that allows time off during the holiday season, it's an unfortunate side effect of working retail. Do accountants request time off during tax season?

    What employee doesn't require time off to be requested in advance? There are always exceptions to every rule, but you can't expect a business to schedule people if they can all ask for a day off long after schedules are made. Have you never had a day off rejected at your place of work?

    I guess I'll tell my mother that the reason she can't sell her house is because of Walmart.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  14. #234
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    45,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunny59 View Post
    My friend (and ALL store employees) was told "No time off between Nov 6th and Xmas. Don't even bother requesting. Then of course 2 weeks later, people were getting their hours cut, not getting their "full time". Time off must be requested well in advance and it might or might not get approved. There is no "I can't come today can I trade?" going on......
    I think that by now it should be obvious that each WM store is not run the same way?
    That what some complain of here happens in many other places?
    That, while some may be disgruntled employees, so many others evidently are not, have been working there for years now?

    Most important, people really DON'T have to go work or shop there if they don't want to.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  15. #235
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2011
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I think that by now it should be obvious that each WM store is not run the same way?
    That what some complain of here happens in many other places?
    That, while some may be disgruntled employees, so many others evidently are not, have been working there for years now?

    Most important, people really DON'T have to go work or shop there if they don't want to.
    I agree - but that's not gonna float here. Everyone here wants to believe that every Walmart is evil, that their meat & produce is crap, & every employee feels exploited & wants to leave. Go figure.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  16. #236
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2007
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I don't know any retailer that allows time off during the holiday season, it's an unfortunate side effect of working retail. Do accountants request time off during tax season?

    What employee doesn't require time off to be requested in advance? There are always exceptions to every rule, but you can't expect a business to schedule people if they can all ask for a day off long after schedules are made. Have you never had a day off rejected at your place of work?

    I guess I'll tell my mother that the reason she can't sell her house is because of Walmart.
    this was in response to the other poster saying it seemed trading happened with ease. It does not.

    yes, of course scheduling is done in advance, but many companies allow some flexibility here. If you can find someone to trade, it can be done even if the schedule is out. I've been in many places that allow this. WM does not. And actually, I never have had a day off rejected, perhaps because I've never made and unreasonable request.... my friend on the other hand has.... For example, not being allowed to take of to attend a very important event in November... and, as I said, having hours cut during that same week because everyone was on the books as available. And this wasn't a sudden downturn in business, they knew they wouldn't need everyone.

    As far as holiday hours, yes it is understandable in retail. You work the holidays, but when you tell people they can not take time off because they are needed for the holidays and then cut their hours because you don't have enough for them to do, it doesn't seem right... You tether them to the hours, but don't let them work? I think the people I know working would be happy to work extra holiday hours if they could.

    And Bluey, yes, some stores are better than others....but in general, people are NOT all that happy. How else do you explain a 70% annual turnover? And someone earlier said that was good?...... Walmart policies come from WM headquarters. There is not much room for individual variation. It's not part of the model. My friends store is clearly not one of the best, but it is not the only bad one......


    2 members found this post helpful.

  17. #237
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    16,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Geez - you're one angry cookie. Frankly don't think that if we ever decide to sell our farm (which we don't) that Walmart will come into whether or not a buyer will be able to pay.

    Sorry to disappoint you (& am hoping you don't have a rifle aimed at me thru my bedroom window at the moment - lol!), but I will CONTINUE to shop at our local WalMart, CONTINUE to converse with the employees I know there who have BEEN employees there since we moved here 15 years ago, & will FULLY ENJOY the savings.

    Go figure. I guess I'm supposed to feel like such an unholy & bad person. But you know what? NOT!!!
    You have really misjudged me. I'm not angry, not even at you. I don't own a gun.

    But you also ignored the second half of my post in making your interpretation.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat


    3 members found this post helpful.

  18. #238
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    45,034

    Default

    Again, those are general figures, maybe, but here, I have seen practically the same people working since it opened some almost 20 years ago.
    I would not say there is much turnover here.

    Each store is a bit different, each group of employees also, each region, I would say, hate them if you want, hate them where you are, but here, those working seem to be liking their jobs well enough.
    That's all I know.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  19. #239
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    13,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Around here, there are MORE than just a couple of folks who WANT to work part-time at Walmart. And they've been Walmart employees for more than 10 years. The hours & conditions work very well for them. I'm kind of thinking that if the situation was so darn horrendous, they'd have left much sooner than 10 years.
    You and halo need to stop being so logical. You're supposed to rant about how mean WM is, and how EVERYONE should get 20.00 hr and benefits, and as many hours as they want to work. Doesn't matter if they are stocking shelves, and have no real skills/training. And don't bring up all of the other companies that pay min wage with NO benefits. It's only WM that's the big meanie because they are making a profit.
    In the era of Obama, anticapitalism," life isn't treating me fairly, and I'm not responsible for making my own decisions and want the govt and corporations to take care of me", you need to just complain about everything and wait for all of the goodies to be handed to you.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  20. #240
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    13,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Geez!

    I get it that you don't care about the people who are unhappy working for Walmart and that your savings trumps all.

    But don't be bummed when you can't sell your house for what you'd like because a buyer would have to be able to pay for that mortgage with depressed wages. If you could pick up that piece of real estate and move it, your insulation from the effects of patronizing a local employer that depresses wages might work. But with that major investment rooted to the ground? Then you have a problem. Ask Detroit about it.

    My point is that it ought to be a matter of self-interest to support a local economy. You don't actually have to like anyone else in order to do that. You do have to admit to being subject to larger economic forces than your own efforts to save on your food bill each week.
    Shopping at wm supports the employees that work there, and the truckers that bring the goods, and the local utility companies. If that store closes down those employees are out of a job, and according to some of you, they can't get another.

    And re another post about 70% turnover...I would imagine that many of the people working part time jobs at min wage are seasonal, or doing it during summer vacations or as a transitional job until they find something else. Kind of like you expect entry level min wage jobs to be. Compare it to McDonalds and other fast food stores, or places where there are a lot of part time min wage jobs and I'm sure you'll find a similar turnover.


    3 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Amish Horse Abandoned and Left Alone at Walmart
    By Mike Matson in forum Off Course
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: Jan. 13, 2012, 07:24 PM
  2. Strike-Over?
    By greyTBlove in forum Dressage
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Aug. 26, 2010, 11:25 PM
  3. Medical armband at Walmart
    By SonnysMom in forum Eventing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jun. 13, 2010, 09:03 PM
  4. Walmart runs before a show!
    By Tobias in forum Off Course
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: Jun. 7, 2010, 07:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •